[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You suddenly wake up in Ancient Rome (50AD) with no possessions.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 290
Thread images: 39

File: IMG_3151.jpg (156KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3151.jpg
156KB, 500x500px
You suddenly wake up in Ancient Rome (50AD) with no possessions. What do you do to make it in life? (Assume you can speak Latin fluently)
>>
Join the army
>>
I make glass for a living, so I'd introduce the lens to the Romans. Also, reflecting telescope. My end goal though would be a rudimentary microscope. Idk how I'd produce light though.
>>
>>1773075
Become history's greatest inventor then reveal on my deathbed that I'm actually a time traveller and I have to go back to the future.

Assuming I don't kill everybody with communicable diseases first.
>>
I'd write some science fiction based on current day events, do some mathematics, science n shit.
>>
>>1773075
>become architect
>build a wall to keep the Bedouins out
>>
>>1773093
What would you invent?
>>
>>1773098
Did they have wheels yet? I'm pretty sure I could explain the concept but I'm not sure how to build it.
>>
File: 1475428504511.jpg (274KB, 1740x1100px) Image search: [Google]
1475428504511.jpg
274KB, 1740x1100px
>>1773098
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthanasia_device
>>
>50 AD
C-can I be literate too?

I'd try to find some sort of record keeping job and in my spare to write the future down as well as I can recall.
Maybe fake divine inspiration and get myself an audience with Augustus. Warn him about some things.

>>1773104
>Did they have wheels yet
Nigga
>>
>Crassus already dead
Fuck.
>>
>>1773104
kek
>>
File: IMG_3055.png (7KB, 225x224px)
IMG_3055.png
7KB, 225x224px
>>1773104
d-delete this
>>
>>1773098
I can invent steam engine
>>
File: Europe44BC.gif (28KB, 620x475px) Image search: [Google]
Europe44BC.gif
28KB, 620x475px
>>1773075
Flee to Dacia, learn dacian, teach them modern metallurgy, gunsmithing and army formations.

Proceed to watch as they conquer everything, impose their culture and continue depending on me for what is essentially a technological revolution.

On deathbed, tell them I was Zalmoxis' gift to them.
>>
>>1773109

>Augustus alive in 50 AD
Nigga
>>
>>1773146
>not fucking different woman each day for the rest of your life like Genghis
Not gonna make it
>>
You go find one of the 12 apostles and follow them around helping them
>>
>>1773155
I thought it was implied.
>>
>>1773151
Augustus became one of the titles of the emperor after Octavian aka Augustus.
>>
>>1773165

You know he (or you) didn't mean that and actually meant Augustus Caesar.
>>
File: 15 Year Old Luftwaffe Soldier.jpg (156KB, 964x823px) Image search: [Google]
15 Year Old Luftwaffe Soldier.jpg
156KB, 964x823px
>>1773151
Fuck. I was thinking Caeser died in 44 AD, not BC, then followed with some very incorrect assumptions.

I'm sorry /his/.
>>
>>1773075
Lateen sail (and basics of flight)
Basics of carvel construction of ships
Water wheel gears
Basics of steam power and thermodynamics
Rudimentary antibiotics
Germ theory
Principles of Vaccination (cowpox)
Gunpowder (carbon, sulfur, potassium nitrate but sugar can actually serve as a substitute to the last one)
Stirrups
Carriage suspension
>>
>>1773146
Dacians would prolly kill you on the spot for being a foreign cunt.
>>
>>1773170
>I'm sorry /his/.
Apology not accepted

Commit sudoku
>>
>>1773213
How about I give away some of my stars instead.

Here (You) go
⭐⭐⭐⭐
>>
> unintended consequence
> Europeans are so convinced of their inherit superiority they actually exterminate everyone else by about 1300

I mean, they're hitting the industrial revolution at around the same time everyone else is figuring out how steel works. Some fags don't even have bronze yet. Their sense of superiority is justified imo.
>>
>>1773224
...acceptable
>>
>>1773075
50 AD?
I could live off the streets for some days as a beggar and when i had enough beard to look like diogenes i would rant like a madman about historical events known and unknown by the roman populace becoming something of a living legend.

I would live in a barrel and proceed to become a living legend, and id would ask for an assembly with the emprah

Since romans loved bantz, they would send me to the emperor so id sperg out in front of him everything i know about modern governance and basic supply chains, about medicine and such.

Id say all this knowledge came from X god or goddess and if im not immediately executed for witchcraft i would promote myself as a demigod and avatar of said god becoming kind like a single person oracle of delphos, requesting to fuck redhead qts and free food in exchange for my services

That would be the life
>>
>>1773261
>from X god or goddess
Just claim it's lost ancient Greek knowledge and name drop some philosophers.
>>
>>1773075

I'd be a blacksmith. Would be a cool job.
>>
A coastal south-Italian settlement overlooking a large grain field. A Roman Senator, flanked by equites, stands in front of a docked ship. Senate man watches the chariot pull up, hard. The lictors jump out of the vehicle. Pompey leaves the chariot and approaches the Senate man.

Senate man: Gnaeus Pompeius. I’m Senate.

Pompey nods, nervous. Senate man hands him a fasces.

Lictor: He wasn’t alone.

Senate man, confused, spots the legionnaires. He turns to Pompey.

Senate man: You don’t get to bring hastatii.

Pompey (shaken): They are not my hastatii.

Lictor: Don’t worry, no denarii for them.

Senate man: Why would i want them?

Lictor: They were trying to grab your consulship. They work for the populares. The wreathed man.

Senate man: Caesar?

The Lictor nods. Senate man turns to his equites.

Senate man: Get them on board. I’ll call it in.
>>
The sea vessel struggles over misty waves. The three hooded legionnaires kneel by the railing. Senate man grabs the 1st prisoner.

Senate man: The passenger list i just filed with the fleet lists me, Pompey, and the optimates, but only one of you!

Senate man: First one to talk gets to stay on my ship!

Senate man pulls out a gladius.

Senate man: Who paid you to cross the Rubicon?

Nothing. The equites yank the man back in.

Senate man: Non bonum natare! Who wants to try next?

The equites grab hooded legionnaire nr 2, and hang him over the railing.

Senate man: Tell me about Caesar! Why does he wear the wreath?

The prisoner says nothing. Senate man presses the gladius at the man’s throat, he cocks the gladius… Nothing.

Senate man: Lot of loyalty for a Gallic auxiliary!

Third prisoner: Or perhaps he’s wondering why you would order a man to disband his legions before the end of his term as proconsul.

Senate man: At least you can speak latin. Who are you?

Third prisoner: It doesn’t matter who we are. What matters is our potentia.

Senate man, wary, approaches prisoner 3 - pulls off his hood, revealing a bold-faced, harsh, mediterranean man with a laurel wreath. The eyes are cold. This is Caesar.

Third Prisoner (Ceasar): No one cared who i was until i conquered Gaul.

Senate man: If i fall on my sword, will i die?

Caesar: It would be extremely shameful.

Senate man: You’re a big roman.

Caesar: Tibi.

Senate man: Was the triumvirate part of your plan?

Caesar: Of course! Pompey refused my offer in favour of yours. I had to find out what he told you.

Pompey: Nothing! I said nothingl!

Senate man: Well congratulations, you got hailed as imperator! Now what’s the next step of your masterplan?

Caesar: Crashing this republic…

Another ship approaches suddenly out of the mist. It is filled with legionnaires of the Legio XIII Gemina, loyal to Caesar. Their boarding ramps are raised and ready.

Caesar: ...With no survivors!
>>
>>1773287
>>1773292
>become a playwright and retell modern stories
cool
>>
>>1773287
>>1773292
Haha

Memes!
>>
>>1773087
didnt you need to own land to participate in the military? Before the civil wars at least...I guess I gotta timeline 50 AD.
>>
warn them about German and Slav and Mongol and Turk and Arab problem
>>
>>1773335
The answer here is no. Sulla, Caesar, and Augustus were all know for giving land to their veterans, Augustus later used veterans to create colonial settlements on the borders of the empire or where fighting was suspected to happen.

>tl;dr No, you don't need to own land to be a legionnaire.
>>
File: mpf.png (450KB, 1740x1100px) Image search: [Google]
mpf.png
450KB, 1740x1100px
>>1773105
did i do good?
>>
>>1773335
>didnt you need to own land to participate in the military?
Early roman republic yeah.
By late roman republic being a military man became a well paid job with benefits.
>>
I would totally be a baker. If i could make a living doing that, maybe even work the ovens in a patrician's villa, I'd be content.
>>
I'd become a philosopher.

I'd bring modern philosophy back into the past.

I'd do everything in my power to stop the apostles, or at least make Christianity less autistic.
>>
>>1773075
Present myself as a foreign ambassador that barely survived the trip to Rome.
>>
>>1774119
>I'd bring modern philosophy back into the past.
You'd just bum everyone out.
>>
How would a 6' + person be seen back then?
>>
>>1774235
It's a bonus but not that amazing
>>
>>1773109
>Warn him about some things.
Like what? That his 4the wife is a backstabbing bitching who is going to kill him so her abortion of a son will inherit? It's possible britanicus could have turned out as bad, but since he was poisoned as a teenager, we will never know.

I have no skills which would be useful in that period. I know the basic recipe for gun powder, but have never experimented with it so I'd probably blow myself up trying to make that in between odd jobs on a farm somewhere.
>>
>>1773261
I doubt your knowledge of history is detailed enough to impress the Romans. A war will happen in the east, or the Jews will revolt, isn't even nostrodomus tier prophecy. You'll probably just die in the streets on your first night in any case.
>>
I would probably invent some simple things like the sandwich, or pasteurization. Bigger things like gunpowder or steam power would require too much industrial capital to be useful. Low-effort, low investment inventions is where the easy money is.
>>
>>1774347
>i would invent the sandwich

kek
>>
>>1774347
To be honest, I wouldn't even invent the sandwich to go down in history as the guy who invented the sandwich, I'd do it because I would miss sandwiches after a while, and I'd have all the ingredients so why not?
>>
Draw maps.
>>
>>1774347
Call them "fuccpies" instead of sandwiches
>>
File: 1475342528714.png (41KB, 375x455px) Image search: [Google]
1475342528714.png
41KB, 375x455px
>>1773104
what
>>
File: 1475183955266.png (310KB, 681x496px) Image search: [Google]
1475183955266.png
310KB, 681x496px
>>1773104
did you mean tires anon
>>
File: 1472399401808.jpg (67KB, 540x528px) Image search: [Google]
1472399401808.jpg
67KB, 540x528px
>>1773104
>Did they have wheels yet?
>>
>>1773224
Thanks dad
>>
Travel bavk to Greece and start fishing/farming desu
>>
>>1773196
It would probably be easier to get your hands on potassium nitrate rather than sugar
>>
Try really hard to get someone to travel to the Americas earlier so our history wouldn't be so boring
>>
>>1773075
I can produce simplistic rifle tech and penicillin. I'd be like a god.
50AD is too late though, the republic has fallen
>>
>>1774809
Nigga roman republic is the most interesting time in history and American history is incredibly dull. If anything we need to go further back
>>
>>1773075
>Become a scholar using basic knowledge of the modern world

Not that hard, especially since you didn't specify memory loss.
>>
>>1774846
How much of that knowledge cam you actually prove, though? A lot of it requires tools that wouldn't be in your reach.
>>
>>1774809
How the fuck would you manage that if Sicily wasn't even conquered untill the midevil period
>>
>>1773104
>Did they have wheels yet
kek

Anyway, I couldn't do shit.
If I had a way to advise the head-honcho and have him heed my advice, however, I'd say

>Nigger stay the fuck out of gaul
>Nigger design everything east of Sicily as though it will some day be besieged by a bunch of assholes on horses
>Nigger get a hold on corruption and make sure that shit is brought to a standstill
>Around Brutus watch your scootus
>Populate pompeii with at least a basket full of wet blankers
>Tell fishermen that they might catch a legion in the Rubicon
>Send some slaves up the alps and build some kind of wall or hindrance to slow an army down enough to fuck them up if they were ever up there for some reason
>There is nothing worthwhile to the north
>>
Join the Legion. Use all knowledge of roman combat techniques I know to fly through the ranks. Become an optio or centurion. I'd request a legion transfer to where Varus was massacred by the barbarians. Use beforehand knowledge of the area to rout the barbarians, and push deep into Germania. Romanize the goths. Retire from the legion. Become a patrician with the denarius earned from legion service. Become vassal ruler of the Varian lost territory. Tu Rex gloriae.

Or more likely, die in combat.
>>
>>1775030
>Around Brutus watch your scootus
50 AD anon
>>
>>1775035
>Use all knowledge of roman combat techniques I know to fly through the ranks.
Wat. You think you know more than contemporary professionals?
Also patrician is a matter of lineage, you can't buy it
>>
>>1775050
I probably don't know more than contemporary professionals, but what I do know would assist in rank ups in the Legion.
Also, regarding patrician status, I'll just go figure out a way to acquire some land in Germania and settle down while repulsing barbarian hordes.
>>
>>1775068
Nigga if you're not wildly successful in this time period what makes you think you'll outcompete people who have the advantage of being born and raised in Rome? What the fuck makes you so much better than the scores of other dedicated professional soldiers?
>>
>become a merchant
>open trade routes towards the East
>export some good ole ganja
>huffing dat puffing with my Senate m8s
>>
>>1775088
Ok, I'll go join the Legion, and then hope to Jupiter I don't get run through by a barbarian in Brittania or Germania. Then maybe, I'll become an optio or centurion, and request a legion transfer to the Varian disaster. Should the request be granted, I will attempt to rout the barbarians a second time, and should I succeed, will attempt conquests deeper into Germania,
>>
File: nigga stole mah bike.jpg (272KB, 2272x1704px) Image search: [Google]
nigga stole mah bike.jpg
272KB, 2272x1704px
- invent the bicycle
- invent gunpowder
- invent handgonnes (yes, they can be made from brass or bronze)
- invent the movable type printing press
- invent the alcohol still and show people how to sterilize surgical instruments
- attempt to introduce the Romans to iron working
- draw up reams of plans and notes talking about all sorts of modern inventions and scientific concepts in the greatest amount of detail possible. Hopefully I will be remembered as a great inventor and my notes will survive long enough to be read by more advanced civilizations that can make use of them

Oh an DUDE WEED LMAO
Once I managed to gain some fame I would pay someone or request that they bring me some dank weed for "research." Then I could start farming the stuff and I'd introduce the Romans to hash if they didn't already have it.

>>1773140
Probably not. Roman metallurgy was too primitive to make the high pressure vessels you need to run a proper steam engine. You could create a novelty toy like Heron's "engine" but it wouldn't be able to do much work.
>>
I'd be taken slave in a matter of days and probably get pumped full of illegitimate children tbqh.
Otherwise I might try to introduce electricity somehow
>>
>>1775153
>invent the bicycle
How are you gonna do that without rubber?
>>
I know how to make crude explosives from basic materials that I know I can get a hold of at the time. Same with basic gunpowder. Introduce that to the army.
>>
Dude I'm a 16 star general lmao
>>
>>1773098

Not him, but
>Anime
>>
>>1773287
Imagine reteeling the Star Wars saga?
That shit would get you executed:
>republic usurped by chancelor (consul)
>turns into empire
>empire is evil
>>
>>1773287
>>1773292

X/X flawless
>>
>>1773075
I remember that StarTrek episode where Kirk builds a cannon to kill that Lizardman and I introduce the Romans to black powder cannons.

I also pass along novel ideas like irrigation, crop rotation, water mill, gears, and sanitation.

I then get rich and live out my days banging my slave girls.
>>
Lest Darkness Fall is a pretty entertaining take on this

This has been my fantasy scenario since childhood and the older I get the more positive I'm sure I wouldn't make it. If I could suddenly speak Latin, it probably wouldn't be hard to learn how to read and write it, then I could rely on my literacy, write fiction, philosophy or about physics or something, try to teach Arabic numerals. Make maps maybe or propagate the brewing of coffee beans if I could collect enough capital

I'd take the Silmarilion with me and use it as influence for a scripture and try to reform European paganism into monotheism with Platonic philosophy
>>
>>1773091
You'd be a wealthy and famous man for teaching them modern glass making techniques. You could invent stained glass almost 1500 years early
>>
>>1775153
>Once I managed to gain some fame I would pay someone or request that they bring me some dank weed for "research."
This would probably be me as well. If it ever got to the point where I could just sit back and smoke while everything went its own way I'd be fine [spoiler]so I can spend the rest of my life contemplating what series of events led me to being stuck in ancient times and how I would never see any of my friends and family again. [/spoiler]
>>
>>1775510
Or just fucking kill myself for fucking up that spoiler. That works for me too.
>>
Go to Japan/

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/archaeology/roman-coins-discovery-castle-japan-okinawa-buried-ancient-currency-a7332901.html
>>
>>1775088
Joining the legion would suck balls, not just for the physical component but for having to deal with the draconian military laws which severely punished even the smallest infractions. There was one officer from this era nicknamed "cedo alteram", Latin for "bring me another", which is what he would shout after breaking his vine cane on the backs of his men. His men hated him so much they killed him in a mutiny.
>>
>>1773075

I become a doctor.

With just basic common-sense shit I should easily become the most famous and highly paid doctor in the land by dispensing wisdom such as: "Wash your hands!"
>>
>>1775607
What were some of the laws anon? Just curious.
>>
File: Polybius.jpg (17KB, 295x450px) Image search: [Google]
Polybius.jpg
17KB, 295x450px
>>1775687
>Each of the men who have gone the rounds brings back the tesserae (passwords) at daybreak to the tribune. If they deliver them all they are suffered to depart without question; but if one of them delivers fewer than the number of stations visited, they find out from examining the signs on the tesserae which station is missing, and on ascertaining this the tribune calls the centurion of the maniple and he brings before him the men who were on picket duty, and they are confronted with the patrol.

>If the fault is that of the picket, the patrol makes matters clear at once by calling the men who had accompanied him, for he is bound to do this; but if nothing of the kind has happened, the fault rests on him. A court-martial composed of all the tribunes at once meets to try him, and if he is found guilty he is punished (fustuarium).

>This is inflicted as follows: The tribune takes a cudgel and just touches the condemned man with it, after which all in the camp beat or stone him, in most cases dispatching him in the camp itself. But even those who manage to escape are not saved thereby: impossible! for they are not allowed to return to their homes, and none of the family would dare to receive such a man in his house.

>So that those who have of course fallen into this misfortune are utterly ruined. The same punishment is inflicted on the optio and on the praefect of the squadron, if they do not give the proper orders at the right time to the patrols and the praefect of the next squadron. Thus, owing to the extreme severity and inevitability of the penalty, the night watches of the Roman army are most scrupulously kept.
>>
>>1775687
While the soldiers are subject to the tribune, the latter are subject to the consuls. A tribune, and in the case of the allies a praefect, has the right of inflicting fines, of demanding sureties, and of punishing by flogging. The castigato is also inflicted on those who steal anything from the camp; on those who give false evidence; on young men who have abused their persons; and finally on anyone who has been punished thrice for the same fault.

Those are the offences which are punished as crimes, the following being treated as unmanly acts and disgraceful in a soldier - when a man boasts falsely to the tribune of his valour in the field in order to gain distinction; when any men who have been placed in a covering force leave the station assigned to them from fear; likewise when anyone throws away from fear any of his arms in the actual battle.

Therefore the men in covering forces often face certain death, refusing to leave their ranks even when vastly outnumbered, owing to dread of the punishment they would meet with; and again in the battle men who have lost a shield or sword or any other arm often throw themselves into the midst of the enemy, hoping either to recover the lost object or to escape by death from inevitable disgrace and the taunts of their relations.
>>
File: Josephusbust.jpg (36KB, 401x600px) Image search: [Google]
Josephusbust.jpg
36KB, 401x600px
>>1775687

>The Roman army put their soldiers through basic training. They did running exercises, obstacle courses while wearing all their armour and weapons, and marched eighteen miles three times a month. On these marches the soldiers had to carry all their equipment. They drilled in flanking and column movements used in battles and ceremonies. The Roman army was very strict about being perfect in drilling. But most important they trained in the usage of their weapons.

>The Roman army also believed in punishment. If a guard was found asleep at or left his post then he would be stoned or beaten for putting fellow soldiers at risk. The outcome of that was usually death. Even entire legions can be punished. If a legion is defeated it is usually banished from Rome.

>A legion contains about 4,200 to 5,000 men. It is divided into ten sections. Each section is called a cohort. One cohort is bigger than the rest because it contains the cooks, messengers, and clerks for the legion. A cohort is made up of six parts each called a century. And a century is comprised of ten contuberniums which each have eight men who eat and sleep together. The Roman army has about four legions but can be increased in emergencies.

>Each century is controlled by a centurion and the second in charge is an optio. Each century has its own signifer who carries the century's emblem. He also provides the burial club for his century. The tesserarius of each century gives its own century a new password every morning so impersonators will be filtered out. The praefectus castrorum is in charge of all building and engineering. The cohorts were each led by tribunes. Each legion has its own legatus. The legatus has full charge over his entire legion. Every legion has a silver eagle on a staff carried by an aquilifer. If it is to be captured the entire legion will be banished.
>>
Convince Neo to let me set sail to America, steal all the fucking gold and silver. Then use that to build up my military and take the rest of the supplies to American, Genocide the Native Americans. I would then go to Africa and bring around 200,000 slaves. Tell them they'll have freedom if they can build metro like city. Give them freedom, genocide them. Have the Persians come over to my land. Let them continue build up the east coast. Then genocide them. Now this is the tricky part. Convince Roman Citizens to leave Roman Empire and have them live on the East Coast of America. That is what I would do.
>>
I would do magic tricks and teach first aid. That way they'll think I'm Jesus.
>>
>>1775822
>young men who have abused their persons
what did he mean by this
>>
>>1775204
metal wheels with replaceable wood tires
it works even if it's not the most efficient
>>
>>1775153
>not inventing penicillin and saving billions of people and overpopulating the world even more until it all collapses
>>
>>1773104
another example of the US American education system.
>>
>>1773104
kek
kek even harder at the people who took it seriously
>>
you could become a very successful merchant using indo-arabic numerals
as for being a scientist I guess you could be like a comparative linguist or w/e
would be fun to reconstruct PIE with an extra 2000 years of accuracy and an extremely detailed cultural and religious vocabulary
>>
>>1773335
If that was the case then they would barely be able to field an army, if they were able at all.
>>
File: 1473864949351.jpg (99KB, 400x388px) Image search: [Google]
1473864949351.jpg
99KB, 400x388px
>>1773098
memes
>>
File: mrpotato.png (392KB, 1740x1100px) Image search: [Google]
mrpotato.png
392KB, 1740x1100px
>>1773105
>>
>>1773075
>latin
>in ancient rome

I love this fucking meme
>>
>>1773075
I die of gastrointestinal complications for eating unprocessed food two weeks after my arrival.
>>
>>1774829
read again
>>
The press, separation of labor and the concept of inflation and the central bank would save Rome, not fucking gunpowder.

Medicine in ancient Rome was fine, they understood basic hygiene and containment meassures, convincing them diceases were little animals that mutated would be pointless since they couldnt do anything about it.

Installing some form of public education would make Romans save themselves from needing stupid amounts of slaves for non-deadly jobs and activate their economy.

Teaching them to grow crops faster and with more resilence will surely keep the west side from decaying.

NOT giving citizenship and lands to soldiers without displays of loyalty and assure them a form of representation outside of revolt and backstabbing would help their ambitions become more productive.

Ask if anyone has any fucking common sense and thinks emperors should have a set succession system and that the senate should continue it's relevance that way
>>
>>1773098
a gf
>>
File: 3659259050_bfa86fa14a.jpg (20KB, 296x354px) Image search: [Google]
3659259050_bfa86fa14a.jpg
20KB, 296x354px
>>1777681
>The press
not really practical without paper, which wouldn't make it to Europe until the 11th century CE
>separation of labor
Labor was already separated. Care to elaborate?
> the concept of inflation and the central bank
Rome already had laws which severely punished counterfeiters. A central bank wouldn't be feasible until economics emerged as a distinct discipline
> not fucking gunpowder.
agreed. Metallurgical techniques wouldn't have allowed for anything but extremely crude cannons
>Medicine in ancient Rome
Germ theory is not intuitive, so teaching them things as simple as washing your hands and/or boiling your drinking water would have saved an untold number of lives. We think of the Romans as being clean because of their Thermae but in practice that bath water was probably rarely changed if ever
> public education
Agreed. This is one of those infrastructure investments that continuously pays off dividends for its country, but in the years before academia had really been standardized, their effectiveness would have probably been extremely inconsistent.
>Teaching them to grow crops faster
techniques like crop rotation would have had a dramatic effect on their economy, but do keep in mind that what caused the west to decay was its out of control military whose internal squabbles continuously wrecked the economy
>NOT giving citizenship and lands to soldiers
Would be a great way to get them to turn on you like a pack of mad dogs and murder you while you're taking a piss
> emperors... senate
The problem was that by the late Republic their government had devolved into one of the most notoriously, incorrigibly corrupt regimes that history has ever seen, and a huge amount of wealth was allowed to flow from the landed gentry (driving them into the ranks of working poor) and into the hands of astronomically wealthy aristocrats, who squandered it in political speculation until only one held the lion's share of all the wealth, which we now call the emperor.
>>
>>1777487
You mean
>50 AD
>Ancient Rome
>>
>>1777996
A series of criers guilds who organized and interpreted information aside from proclamation and advertisement?
>>
>>1773168
You know he's a complete imbecile?
>>
>>1773224
Aw man I never get any stars :(
>>
File: EFFAY.jpg (21KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
EFFAY.jpg
21KB, 500x333px
Why the fuck did you set it in 50 AD, just exactly around the point where history stopped being interesting and where giving rome great tech is no longer desirable?
The republic, Gaius Marius, Julius Caesar, Sulla. The late republic, the age where exceptional individuals rose to the top every once in a while and the leaders were accountable to the nobility and the people. Fuck the shitty empire, one major player every generation who wasn't necessarily savvy or great, no intrigue, a constant decline since augustus, the worst occurence in history was the republic ending. OP is retarded.
I wanna give gunpowder to the republic. and vaccines. And rifling and methods to create better steel, leading them to conquer the world. But fuck this shit, I guess I'd just become the lover of some nobleman and give him enough knowledge to ensure a decadent life.
>>
>>1773104
include me in the screencap
>>
>>1773155
that shit was be so denarii
>>
File: 1459382656852.jpg (51KB, 480x553px) Image search: [Google]
1459382656852.jpg
51KB, 480x553px
>>1773104
>>
>>1777996
>Labor was already separated. Care to elaborate?

Adam Smith's theory, making all artisans and craftmen only necessary in oversight labors and making the bulk of all work done by serfs trained in only one step of any given process.

>Germ theory is not intuitive, so teaching them things as simple as washing your hands and/or boiling your drinking water would have saved an untold number of lives.

they already did this as well as covering their faces during pests and washing/liming the death, and all water in thermae and such was running water.

>but do keep in mind that what caused the west to decay was its out of control military whose internal squabbles continuously wrecked the economy

weakened and harsh times invited these events more often than not, and remember that the dependency of the west on north african grain made the eventual division of the empire turn one side rich and the other poor.

>Would be a great way to get them to turn on you like a pack of mad dogs and murder you while you're taking a piss

don't misunderstand me, it's necessary for them to be rewarded in order to keep the legion obedient and effective, but the problem was that they had no affiliation with the Roman government, nothing at stake for rebelling and being more loyal to their generals than the actual authorities. I think a return to the duality of the citizen/soldier and administrator-commander would be needed, hence i think the senate should be re-structured to be drawn from the high ranking military and economically relevant elites instead of just the ancient aristocracy during the transition to the principate. It would essentially be the same system where they get together to prop up their emperor but without a civil war in the middle, basically a legal, loosely regulated mechanism for them to get their way without devastating Italy.
>>
I'd leave Rome immediately and head north to hang out with my ancestors. Maybe I could be my own ancestor.
>>
File: IMG_1682.jpg (354KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1682.jpg
354KB, 600x800px
>>1773292
>he cocks the gladius
>>
I have no skills so I'd probably end up as a serf on a farm somewhere.
>>
>>1773292
>Caesar: Crashing this republic…
I found the idea of putting caesar in the place of a villain but hoped there was a good pay-off, but this is fucking outrageous, how has /his/ not learned that Caesar did nothing wrong yet?
>>
>>1773075

used as a slave since my face and race would be subjugated under theirs
>>
I'd sell myself into slavery.
>>
Id be the hitler of that time frame
>>
>>1781344
A shitty painter?
>>
>>1773098
>tfw physics major and can basically turn rome into an industrial empire before i die
feels good
>>
>>1781751
>implying you know how to build simple machines

Also they fucking knew about the the power of steam but didn't care.
>>
Honestly, just giving them calculus, chemistry, biology, and rhetoric 101 would accelerate our technology 1000 years earlier. Maybe even faster under them.
>>
>>1781761
>rhetoric
>>
>>1773075
find a waifu and go to spain/france/scandinavia and build a house, embrace the freedom and then die
>>
>>1781751

>physics

if you were an engineer maybe but even then you'd still be utterly unable to do anything without fancy modern tools and materials.
>>
>>1781135
You wouldn't just get enslaved while walking around Rome. They took slaves during wars or bought them from pirates or people from other slave-using cultures. Furthermore you would not be enslaved because of your race.
>>
>>1782647

he would be alienated if he didn't know latin or an italian language and also had no idea what holiday it was, i doubt anyone would think "oh he's just a fellow Roman citizen"

surely he wouldn't be enslaved but he sure as fuck would be an odd one out.
>>
>>1776291
No it doesn't 'work.' That's completely ridiculous.
>>
>>1782652
>(Assume you can speak Latin fluently)

And what the fuck are you talking about now knowing holidays and shit?
Are you aware that foreigners such as merchants and shit regularly travelled through the Roman empire all the time without being hounded about random holidays?
>>
>>1782668

not in Rome itself, no, there were places foreigners couldn't go in.

Romans were super serious about the holidays and if you intended to stay you would eventually do something sacrilegious out of ignorance.
>>
>>1782678
Get someone to teach you then? You're awfully square in your thinking about a hypothetical ((fun)) discussion.
>>
>>1782678
>Romans were super serious about the holidays and if you intended to stay you would eventually do something sacrilegious out of ignorance.
Can you give an actual example of a taboo that a foreigner could plausibly break out of ignorance or is this the extent of your knowledge of Roman holidays? Because to me it seems like you could get away just standing around or copying what the crowd was doing. "When in Rome.." as they say.
>>
>>1782705

>lupercalia
>find yourself getting whipped by priest with goat hide and attack him in return
>>
>>1774898
Kek I remember that thread.
>>
>>1781004
>making all artisans and craftmen only necessary in oversight labork
They would have already had jobs like these, being the kind of jobs filled by the working poor. Serfs were tenet farmers legally bound to work their lord's plot of land and didn't arrive until centuries after this time-frame, after the imperial welfare apparatus sustaining the working poor broke down, forcing them to flee the city and sell their labor to rural property owners. If you wanted to create a system more in line with Adam Smith, you'd make laws guaranteeing free labor.

>they already did this as well
People didn't start washing their hands until the mid-19th century. The past 200 years has seen an explosion of population not because we started producing more food but because we stopped dying in droves thanks to germ theory. This was a huge breakthrough from earlier times when they thought disease was caused by a foul wind

>e dependency of the west on north african grain made the eventual division of the empire turn one side rich and the other poor.
North Africa was always a breadbasket compared to rocky, broken European terrain and in those times the East had always been the wealthier,, urbanized region of the world. In many ways the division was inevitable.

> the problem was that they had no affiliation with the Roman government,
The problem was that you had a senate still stuck in the mindset that a war was something fought by citizen-soldiers who supplied their own equipment and fighting for the sake of maintaining their property holdings should have been payment enough. This simply wasn't realistic by the late Republic as most soldiers were being drawn from the ranks of the working poor, so they needed equipment and a wage. The senate reluctantly agreed to this but refused to fund any kind of pension program, creating a professional soldier class whose quality of life after their military service was dependent on how good their general was at capturing war booty.
>>
>>1782668
assuming the goiym is an afro murigan, he's 99.9% from the western sub-saharan part of africa, some romans probably went there, but there sure as shit weren't any of them inside roman border unless someone brought them over as slaves
>>
>>1773075
I'd show the roman legion how to make gunpowder and ghetto shotguns.
>>
>>1781761
Romans didn't give a shit about that. It would take several generations of their 'scholars' to understand and apply it, if they'd do it at all.
>>
>>1773075
I'd probably just follow some legion around and sell them shit. Legions were often followed by large hosts of craftsmen, merchants, and hookers.
>>
File: niceonefriendo.jpg (912KB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
niceonefriendo.jpg
912KB, 5000x5000px
>>1773104
>>
File: SK7hM1ZQp3-20.png (38KB, 300x250px)
SK7hM1ZQp3-20.png
38KB, 300x250px
>>1773075
Piss off their emperor and get crucified haha
>>
File: WarrenCupA.jpg (39KB, 588x680px) Image search: [Google]
WarrenCupA.jpg
39KB, 588x680px
>>1784693
>sell them shit.
>hookers.
We know what you'd be selling them.
>>
I wonder how practical it would be to organize a fleet and get over to Central America? Coffee and chocolate and tobacco and cocaine.
>>
>>1784715
I'd probably sell myself, honestly, because I really can't make shit.
>>
>>1784719
I'm actually pretty sure I'd be forced to sail for Central America in any case. No coffee? Unacceptable, must fix.
>>
>>1773098
economics
>>
>>1773159
that would be cool af nigga
>>
>>1773213
seppuku you ignorant gaijin
>>
>>1773098
include me in the /r/4chan screencap :^)
>>
>>1774406
>>tell them about the riches of the new world and the means to get there.
thatd be cozy af senpai
>>
I would get famous writing about economics, weasel my way into the Flavian household and convert Domitian to Christianity.
>>
>>1773075
Try to become some roman foundry owner's fuckboy and try to win enough of his favor to let me tinker with bronzeworks
then build a turing complete mechanical computer
>>
>>1784984
>christianity
>the central reason of Rome's downfall

Kiss yourself christfag
>>
>>1784998
I suppose technically that'd involve introducing basic modern math to the romans, too
they didn't even have the number 0
>>
1. suck dick for cart money then walk home.
2. use cart money for clothes
3. spend day shitposting with graffiti
4. spread tales of "roving leper hoards" or "trap-slave revolts" and the like to terrorize normies
5. teach people trivial stuff in exchange for food.
6. teach people new recipies (like pizza) because otherwise I'd get tired of nasty proto-olive garden
7. bring bants, leave memes in places where future anons will find them
8. as a final effort to be productive and use my time travel ability wisely, make copies of important literary works and have them preserved or left in places like pompeii where they will be preserved by nature.
>>
Use my knowledge to help destabilize the empire and hopefully collapse it either during my lifetime or after it. Honestly I just want to eternally trigger Romaboos if they even exist in the timeline I create.
>>
Pretend to be a God and get all the pussy.
>>
>>1773087
you are killed by an easily preventable disease/infection
>>1773091
after many years of whoring yourself out for the funds to do this, you make a rudimentary lense and are either killed for heresy, or your lenses are not refined enough for your intended uses
>>1773093
the ramblins of an old man go unnoticed
>>1773096
your mathmatic skills make you a rich man, however your "novels" fail to take off due to the lack of a printing press, and plays never reach beyond a local audience
>>1773097
you make rome great again
>>1773109
you are regarded as an insane man, and either made a slave or die homeless in the streets.
>>1773140
your basic steam engine draws tourists from all around the empire, but is regarded as a simple novelty. A powerful man asks you to build one better to be used as machinery, however you fail to do so using the eras weak metals, and are killed.
>>1773159
you walk the streets asking all you meet if they know of [insert generic greek/hebrew name here]. you find many who share their names, but never find the one you are actually searching for. ultimately your name and story is used in a monty pithon film almost two thousand of years later.
>>1773196
assuming you actually know the fine details of these things, you will go into history as an earlier davinchi, however you will likely be asked by a powerful man to solve one of his problems, and slain when you cannot.
>>1773308
your stories are taken as cheap rehashes of other plays. one listener asks what a "cia" is.
>>1774015
you become an apprentice and live your life in the roman equivalent of lower-middle class.
>>1774126
they ask what you came to rome for, and then stick you on the first ship out, or assume youre an escaped slave.
>>1774119
you find the romans are not very receptive to your ideas. a legionare stabs you after you suggest he check his privilege.
>>
File: the well endowed hack writer.jpg (118KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
the well endowed hack writer.jpg
118KB, 1200x1200px
>50 AD Rome

Turn on my computer, browse 4chan while drinking coffee.

Time is a spook anyway.
>>
>>1774347
you are made caesar for your invention of such a marvelous thing as this "sandwhich" you speak of.
>>1774406
your doodles go unnoticed.
>>1774809
no one is willing to sail off the world. in the event you do, either nothing there is worth enough to justify the effort, you die during the voyage, or you are stranded in chug-city and the natives eat you.
>>1775030
as a result of your advice (assuming you are given audience and he follows it), history changes and instead he invades germany/slav-land, assholes on horses invade from the west, corruption is dealt with but he is now viewed as a bloodthirsty tyrant and is stabbed by brutus and his five friends and the guards who were paid off by the other politicians who back brutus.
>>1775035
you step on a sharp rock and die from the infection a week later.
>>1775111
you have no money or goods to sell. your dank shit fails to take hold compaired to hallucinogenic honey
>>1775125
you fail to distinguish yourself and make enough rank, but you retire an intact man and live your live as a lower-middle class equivalent.
>>1775153
your inventions become novelties for the rich, your alcohol is ignored by the wine-o masses and considered swill, you dont know enough about smithing or metalworking to create useful iron and what you do make is disregarded as inferior. your scribbles go unnoticed.
>>1775203
if white, you are probably taken in and made into someones wife, or become a prostitute.
if shitskin, you become prostitute.
>>1775486
military sees no use for cannons, considers existing weapons to be less complicated and more effective.
crop rotation is useless to most, water mill already exists elsewhere and is considered inferior to slave labor, gears allready exist, sanitation exists (to an extent)
>>1775614
you input on sanitation is welcome and prevents some death, but your innability to create medicines makes you useless.
>>1776020
Neo tells you there is no spoon. You search fruitlessly for the "city of gold",
>>
>>1774235
The average height of north western europeans back then was around 5'9, so they wouldn't notice
>>
>>1776247
you are crucified.
>>1781007
a tall blonde man with braided hair and an axe tells you "I WILL DRINK FROM YOUR SKULL", and then he does.
>>1781085
and so you do.
>>1781316
you are laughed at, but given what you wish for. a fat wealthy man stretches your boipucci.
>>1781344
you yell about jews in the forum and people nod in unison as they go about their day, occassionally one flips you a coin.
>>1781135
you instead die homeless a few months later
>>1784693
you are yelled at by >>1781344
>>1784708
you are thrown down the Gemonian Stairs instead
>>1784984
no one understands the concept of fiat currency and when they reach the part about taking the "means of production" you're allready one hand on a cross.
>>1785196
the middle east becomes the center of civilization and we never reach the renaissance.
>>1785228
you are considered an insane man, someone feeds you poisoned frood to put you out of your misery.
>>
>>1774152
Yeah, that time probably was ready for existentialist and absurdist philosophy.
>>
>>1785560
>was
Was not, I mean.
>>
File: 1475280377485.png (2MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1475280377485.png
2MB, 1600x900px
>>1773292
>he cocks the gladius
>>
>>1773075

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lest_Darkness_Fall
>>
>>1775204
LONDINIUM
>>
>>1781119
Neither did Bane.
CIA is at fault for deaths of millions.
>>
File: 1471416265781.png (38KB, 499x338px)
1471416265781.png
38KB, 499x338px
>>1785519
>no one is willing to sail off the world
>durr people thought the world was flat before columbus
>>
>>1773075
Could I bring one thing with me?
I would bring a potato desu
>>
>>1787956
It's true, but not for the reasons you think.

Triremes were nowhere close to ocean-worthy. They can only barely handle the Mediterranean and there's a reason why there's a shitload of wrecks all over it. Attempting to cross the Atlantic in one would have been certain death. To ask the Emperor for grant money to mount a nautical expedition to cross the Atlantic would have gotten you laughed out of the court, even if you happen to be someone with a background in seamanship and knew the magnitude of this trip.

They didn't think that the world was flat, they had worked out mathematically what the circumference of the globe was and they assumed that most of it was empty ocean.
>>
>>1784719

don't forget corn, tomatoes and bison
>>
>>1789227

Trirremes were coastal battleships, not sailing ships.

they had far better fit designs in service for logistical purposes as well as in the hands of corporations and rich individuals.

actually, that would be a fucking great thing to bring back to Rome, the concept of corporation, society, association, guild, and all those autistic legal distinctions that Romans would have LOVED.
>>
Introduce Arabic numerals and name them after myself.
>>
>>1789258
Even their best sailing ships would have still been completely incapable of crossing the ocean.

And what reason would the Romans believe you that there's a continent full of treasure on the other side of the ocean? They'd think you were fucking crazy and would think funding such an expedition would be a giant waste of money.
>>
>>1773075

If I knew latin, I'd find a blacksmith and convince him to let me make chain main so I know the pattern. I've made some with steel wire and have some basics of metallurgy.

Then start selling mail shirts to the army. Start spending my money on Roman wine and hookers.

Also I know Calculus and Geometry so there would be always that.

Also just to be a dick, write Christian Bible verses with modifications in them to my choosing.
>>
>>1789384

you could just tell them the same thing Columbus said to the Queen

"i can get your products to the far east without having to deal with these Persian fucking shits"
>>
>>1789396
do you know how to extrude iron?
>>
>>1789406
Queen Isabella was a young monarch of a freshly liberated country who was desperate for prestige on the international stage and willing to take a risk, plus this was a clear case of her being an actual idiot and believing Columbus's grossly inaccurate estimates about the size of the world ocean.
>>
>>1789428

Yeah, but I kind of forgot the Romans knew how to make mail by 50 AD.

Maybe I would just teach Algebra in the forums and Arabic numeral math with fraction and long division.

I suppose they would eat that up.

Also I know what happens if you mix charcoal, salt peter, and potassium nitrate.

I guess I could get the potassium nitrate from urine but there was plenty of sulfur in Sicily.
>>
File: sweat1-300x277.jpg (39KB, 300x277px) Image search: [Google]
sweat1-300x277.jpg
39KB, 300x277px
>>1785398
>you find the romans are not very receptive to your ideas. a legionare stabs you after you suggest he check his privilege.
I said modern not postmodern
>>
>>1773104
banner worthy bait
>>
>>1789227
I'm aware of the history of sailing technology I'm just saying that perpetuating the old "hurp they thought they'd sail off the edge of the world" meme is cancerous.
>>
>>1789457

and? Rome wasn't short on stupid but extremely rich men
>>
>>1789497

Look. If you are going to get the Romans to sail to the new world, you might as well teach them how to make gunpowder and wreck the Germanic tribes first.
>>
>>1789513

in due time

let's help them with their shitty political system first
>>
File: 1469052073765.jpg (97KB, 435x435px) Image search: [Google]
1469052073765.jpg
97KB, 435x435px
>>1773104
>>
>>1774119
t. Judas Iscariot
>>
>>1773075
I work my hardest to come close to anero's side. I advise him and prevent the great fire of rome and later all the deaths at Pompeii. I introduce new ways of thinking and what inventions I can.

I ensure that doesn't start it's decline. No matter what.
>>
File: 1234567852452.png (231KB, 459x278px)
1234567852452.png
231KB, 459x278px
>>1773104
good job anon
>>
>>1789469
>I said modern not postmodern
He was in your home, rifling through all your possessions, pocketing whatever he felt like taking, all because he was a man with a sword and he felt like taking them.
>>
Live my life as a shit-tier plebeian like I am now.
>>
>>1773075
Do we get to keep our modern clothes?
Anyways I'd show them how to make gliders with control surface, and introduce them to the concept of the hot air balloon.
Also I would introduce:
stirrups
tires
crossbows
Iron ship hulls
ship propellers

Id also fight to preserve dacian, Thracian, noric, Illyrian and sarmatian cultures and if I fail Ill learn their languages, cultures myths, everything. Id also embark in an expedition to document baltoslavic peoples and their mythology.
>>
If your primary goal would be to document cool shit that in the present timeline hasn't survived, where would you stash this knowledge for the future to find?
>>
File: rome.png (149KB, 681x350px) Image search: [Google]
rome.png
149KB, 681x350px
fuck many women
>>
>>1778227
plz respond to my tirade
>>
>>1791068

deep deep cave in northern Italy or the Alps
>>
File: download (9).jpg (15KB, 188x268px) Image search: [Google]
download (9).jpg
15KB, 188x268px
>>1774829
>50ad
>roman republic

You missed that by 80 years or so
>>
>>1773075
Kill myself.
>>
>>1773075
Is Roman buttslave an option?
>>
>>1782902
>creating a professional soldier class whose quality of life after their military service was dependent on how good their general was at capturing war booty.
I wish I knew more about the few attempts the Romans made to settle frontiers with Roman famer/soldiers during the 3rd and 4th century, and the later themata system. It seems like the best solution given the infrastructure of the time, but obviously it didn't work for some reason. I beleive the aristocracy undercut the themata. I have no idea why the earlier attempt failed.
>>
>>1792619
Is the are thoroughly explored now by 2016, and the object found? On what media, parchment? In a container?
>>
>>1794359
>is the *are
*area
>>
>>1792731
This, but first I rape classical pusi.
>>
>>1773075
I INVENT SOAP NIGGA

FUCKING SOAP NIGGER

IT WON'T BE EXPENSIVE
>>
>>1794471
Celts already did that m8
>>
>>1794549
I INVENT RICOLA

IT WILL BE EXPENSIVE THO
>>
>>1773075
invent the meme

sell meme togas, or whatever they wore there
>>
>>1773091

there stories that a man came to caesar with "bendable glass". When he presented it to caesar he demonstrated it by allowing ceasar to hold and examin it, to see that it is infact glass, he then dropped it onto the stone floor upon which it deneted instead of shatter

caesar had the man beheaded so the secrets of this material died with him and would not undermine the value of glass.

Lessons learned:
-glass was already around
-you will potentially die if you create something "too amazing"
>>
>>1794588
You're a retard if that's what you took from that lesson.

The entire reason he killed the guy in the story is because he threatened the industry with this new invention that made the old shit obsolete.

Lens anon simply found another use for existing shit. It would only improve the industry by giving it more demand.

You retard.

>>1773091

You'd do better introducing the telescope since it's military applications would be immediately noted and Romans were all about military applications.
>>
>>1794588
This

All of you dreaming about bringing huge technological progress:

You would be killed. Preserving the social peace by ensuring enough jobs and the economic order in general was seen as paramount. There are several stories of technological discoveries which were rejected by the conservative patricians. Rome wasn't intrested in any technology that had the potential to really change the social order. They actually were hellbent on preserving tasks tat required extensive manual labor.
>>
>>1794612
>This
No fuck off, both of you took the wrong lesson from that story.
>>
Why the fuck would you even take any invention to a patrician? Why not sell it locally and expand using credit from merchants?

Was the concept of free enterprise entirely foreign to Romans?
>>
I'd do what i do now

I'd make beer. Make it, sell it, and call people fags in the forum.
>>
>>1774765
You can make sugar from honey.

>>1785398
>assuming you actually know the fine details of these things
Not all but that is what experimenting is for. Suffice to say I know enough about so.e of them to gain time to refine the others.

>you will go into history as an earlier davinchi, however you will likely be asked by a powerful man to solve one of his problems, and slain when you cannot.

Screw that. I'm not meeting with "powerful" men. Romans can't be trusted. I'd make my fortune on more mundane inventions and move somewhere more secluded and malleable as soon as it was practical. Gunpowder especially would be kept as a trump card.
>>
>>1775234
>Same with basic gunpowder
You can make explosives (you can't but you think you can), just use small amounts of that as a propellant instead of gunpowder.
>>
>>1777681
>would save Rome
Fuck Rome
>>
File: msI3wqA.jpg (110KB, 586x430px) Image search: [Google]
msI3wqA.jpg
110KB, 586x430px
>>1773075
>>
>>1795028
Oh brother...
>>
>>1784719
Impossible

Their ship building techniques didn't allow for true blue water ships. You'd have to invent the long ship and even then it's a bitch that would require stops at Faroe islands, Iceland and Greenland.
>>
>>1775153
>Oh an DUDE WEED LMAO
Alright, so here's enough gold for a lifetime of journey, now nip down to Tibet and be back asap!
>yeah alright
>never see them again
>>
Hey /his/, what book should I read if I wanna conquer Sardinia from the Romans and set up a constitutional republican federation government of the people, by the people and for the people?

I also like guns. The idea of picking a fight with someone clearly superior to me in terms of physical strength and skill and easily dispatching them gives me an erection.
>>
carve what little japanese I know into a wall to fuck with historians
>>
>>1795365
kek
Best one I've seen yet.
>>
>>1795060
Weed grows all over the place wild. It can be found in central and eastern Europe.
>>
>>1795126
Bump for recommendation

I need those books
>>
>>1776294
>Invents penicillin by rubbing fungus on wounds or ingesting it
>Everyone hails you as a hero
>Eventually, population spikes due to reduction in illness related death
>Penicillin is used for every possible malady possible
>Correct dosage is disregarded
>Eventually, Antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria emerges and spreads like wild fire amongst the large population
>No one knows how to treat it (We barely have discovered any treatments for AB-resistance today)

I always fantasize about these "what would I do if I went back in time" scenarios. Honestly, I would keep penicillin a secret, and start a league of proto-scientists that would work in secret until a semblance of the scientific method observes (Read: Get those fucking microscopes up. )
>>
>>1775203

hot
>>
>>1785532
>watch me pull all of this shit straight out of my arse
>>
I hope I can be a good slave boy :)
>>
>>1773104
bet everyone in this thread $7 that anon im replying to is a hillary supporter
>>
>>1795126
OK listen you guys. I NEED TO CONQUER SARDINIA FROM THE ROMANS. I need you guys to help me gain the necessary knowledge. Help me out here.

#freesardinia
>>
>>1774119
the fact that you used autistic as an insult to describe Christianity. Does nothing but prove you yourself are autistic.

>congratulations you played your self
>>
I'd shitpost on the forvm romanvm magnvm so you niggers could have a good time some 2000 years later
>>
>>1796593
Why do you think one book will help you conquer Sardinia? What do you intend to do with it any way? Iirc it had some limited farm land and together with other islands could interdict Mediterranean trade, but wasn't significant by itself.
>>
tangentially, does anyone have an epub of lest darkness fall?
it's not on libgen, and I can't find any non-scribd downloads
>>
>>1798306
It also produced a lot of silver. Like, srsly, a lot of silver. Also lead and you know how romans love lead.

Plus it's an island so keeping it will be easier.

And it doesn't have to be a single book, multiple books can be suggested. From primitive gunsmithing books to metalworking to how to manipulate groups lathe and small. Anything that will make a free sardinia possible.
>>
>>1774347
>invent some simple things like the sandwich
Have you ever read Mostly Harmless, the last book in the Hitchhiker's Guide series by Douglas Adams?

Arthur Dent finds himself marooned on an alien planet which is basically an idyllic, peaceful bronze age Earth. At first he thinks he'll wow everyone in the village with modern inventions, but soon realizes he doesn't actually know how to make any of them from scratch. They take him in but he is basically useless to them, until one day he innocently makes himself a sandwich and they all hail him as a genius. He becomes the village sandwich maker and they all love him.
>>
>>1781756
They didn't care because nobody had invented the railroad (or the steamboat), without which a steam engine is just a toy that makes a wheel go round, something horses can already do.

THERE'S your earth-shattering invention, build a tiny steamboat or a tiny train and railroad, and explain that it can be scaled up.
>>
>>1773075
>Assume you can speak Latin fluently
I'm fairly well-versed in mathematics, the history thereof, and proofs, so I'd do fairly well as a scholar.
>>
>invent trebuchet
>instruct engineers on it's construction
>they don't believe it will shoot that far
>they overshoot the target by 200m and kill some roman's villa
>get executed for criminal damage
It would probably go something like that.
>>
>>1773075

Join the army, defeat barbarians, be proclaimed emperor in the camps, march on Rome.
>>
>>1778227
I prefer the Early-Mid republic period. At the time they lived by the Mores and fought collectively for the glory of Rome without killing each other for seizing power. I would probably have helped with mathematics and scientific knowledge. And if I were living during Syracuse's conquest I would save Archimedes from being killed. But that's just my own autistic ramblings
>>
I bet everyone saying they'd "invent" all kinds of fantastic modern inventions in Roman times would be hopelessly lost when it came time to actually do it.

Inventing something requires not just undergraduate physical theory, nor an assortment of trade skills which crucially depend on modern tools to be relevant, but a clear vision of how you'll implement your creation in the real world within the scope of the resources you have.

So you intimately understand thermodynamics and want to build a steam engine. Where do you even begin?
>>
>>1799702
What one should do instead is use time-proven general knowledge that wasn't common at the time. Being aware of concept of hygiene will put you in a position to be a doctor in ancient rome. Basic rhetoric skills from our time would be enough to make a living as an actor or a teacher.

In fact trying to revolutionize the world at all is the move that will most likely just get you killed. World is a very rigid structure and any change in history was preceded by years of laying the groundwork. It took the whole of the Dark Ages for Europe to reinvent and accept what was lying right under their feet the whole time. Knowledge might be around for a long time but it doesn't mean that it will get accepted anytime soon just because one person wills it.
>>
zozzle
>>
Every 18 year old, especially if they, like me, did A-Level bio, chem and maths, would be able to utterly revolutionize the understanipdin of te natural world and kick start primitive petrochem industry.

Bohrs atomic kodel (for a bit, thrn inrptroduce orbitals)

Chemistry

Metallurgy

Physics.., youd be a god if you can remember all the stuff you were taught by 18* again assuming you were not a retard, and went to school before 2010's extreme dumbing down with the intro of the new national cirriculum
>>
>>1800062
Sorry for the typos. Ipads are worthless
>>
Get myself into Nero's inner circle by providing him with information about future events. Chill out in the palace and hide away some anachronistic info for future archeologists to mess with them.
>>
>>1800062
>Bohrs atomic kodel (for a bit, thrn inrptroduce orbitals)
How do you prove it, how do you apply it.
>>
With foreknowledge youd clearly be able to change the world. Everyone should make a plan to make electricity in such a scenario. Its doable and you could write books detailing the full tech plans for centuries after your death. We'd be across the universe by AD 2000.
>>
>>1800074
>prove it

Invent microscopes, electricity, then the atomic force microscope
>>
>>1800074
>apply it

Chemistry and reactions can be predicted usung e bohr model. I can remember the relative atomic mass and atomic number of many elements, so i could become ultimate chemist
>>
You could create biological and chemical weapons? Double check where the uranium deposits are before the trip and yyou could create crude radiation weapons. This actually seems like an easy plan, as refining chemicals and protecting yourself against biological agent blowback is hard, but getting slaves to mine uranium and stack it into big piles is easy. Kick start an arms race that will wipe us out within 259 years because romans would definitely use it
>>
File: qFZxJJT.jpg (647KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
qFZxJJT.jpg
647KB, 1920x1200px
>>
>>1773287
>https://youtu.be/DR0fl5fgTDg
>>
>>1799494
okay, do you know the appropriate metalsmithing technologies that will let you build scaled-up steam engines?
>>
>>1801405
No.
>>
Immediately and inadvertently infect everyone around me with my future super diseases.
>>
>>1781422
underrated
>>
>>1773075
I lead a Crusade against Muslims and unify other European countries. I then enslave Africa and enable a law that prohibits Africans to be exported out of Africa. I also ban any and all Jewish influence. That way when America iis discovered iit will be Nigger and Jew free.
>>
File: Wut.jpg (138KB, 970x582px) Image search: [Google]
Wut.jpg
138KB, 970x582px
>>1804436
>50 AD
>Muslims

>/pol/
>>
I'm a mathematician so I'd do my best to write down and formalize as much mathematics as possible so that it wouldn't have to wait until the 1700s to become a rigorous field.

Hopefully they the emperor will appreciate my ricci flow.
>>
>>1773104
>
>>
Like some other people have mentioned, I'd probably try to "invent" shit which exists in the present day. Firearms would probably be my main thing. Just imagining Roman legionaries armed with flintlocks makes my dick hard. I could also try to teach them pike and shot tactics to go with the new guns.
>>
I would want to become a gladiator and fight for freedom, then settle down and become a philosopher and hope to improve the morals in the future.
>>
>>1806002
You know metallurgy enough to create weapons then, I take it?
>>
>>1806067
I'm no an expert at it, but that's something which I'm sure I'd be able to get a good enough fix on back then to figure out well enough to work things out.
>>
File: 1200px-Arc_light_and_battery[1].jpg (118KB, 1200x693px) Image search: [Google]
1200px-Arc_light_and_battery[1].jpg
118KB, 1200x693px
>>1773075
I'd make a bunch of lead-acid batteries and use them to gain a cult following claiming I am the son of Zeus by shocking the shit out of people. I'd also let some mold grow on oranges for a little bit, make some edible stuff and use it to proclaim I can cure disease when I feed you, but only if you have enough faith in me.
If all goes well, use my influence to get some coal and make a brilliant white carbon arc lamp to further my cult following, then start making electric motors and other random stuff to pass the time.
>>
>>1773075

You get instantly turned into a slave, I know you people think "Haha, I'm so smart, I'll rule them all and be a king.", you'll be too busy working as a slave 12 hours a day and be way too exhausted to be a scholar, diplomat, or invent anything. That's reality for you. No parents, no money, no connections, you're fucked.
>>
>>1774765
You can literally get Potassium Nitrate from decomposition of horse shit in stables.
>>
>>1773196
>sugar can actually serve as a substitute

IT CAN SERVE AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR THE SULFUR

SUGAR ISN'T THE OXIDIZER

SUGAR IS THE CATALYST

NORMIE GET OOOOUUUUUUTTTT

Also, you can use iron oxide as a substitute for sulfur too.
>>
>>1794588
>caesar had the man beheaded so the secrets of this material died with him and would not undermine the value of glass.

>Caesar takes an inmense amount of shit for looking like he was getting too powerful
>forgives conspirators
>spares every enemy he can to look less like an absolute tyrant
>makes random fucker lose his head over novelty toy

i don't think this story is a valid representation of Rome back then.
>>
>>1789227

The celts had sailing ships. The Carthaginians supposedly circumnavigated Africa. Someone's gotta be able to do this.
>>
>>1806189
>make a shitload of low voltage batteries powered by piss
>have to somehow acquire enough copper to make the wires
>end up with the equivalent of a 9v battery
>>
>>1800036
>>1799702

you don't need to kickstart revolutions, just slowly add increments to what's there and seed concepts that will germinate overtime.

think of what Rome has, and how you could improve it.
>>
Use my knowledge of Roman history to become an oracle, gain a loyal following, and become very wealthy. Keep it vague enough so that no incriminating specifics are revealed. As I lay dying, I instruct my freedman to transcribe my favorite episode of Stargate: SG-1 and bury me with it.
>>
Soap.
>>
>>1785398
>you become an apprentice and live your life in the roman equivalent of lower-middle class.

Hell yeah, I'll take it! It doesnt even sound like a bad life nowadays.
>>
>>1804442

This is why I love /his/
>>
>>1773224
>⭐⭐⭐⭐
neat
>>
No disease w/ the Romans besides plague, anything else you would've been vaccinated for as long as you live in usa or yurop
Thread posts: 290
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.