[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't Literature and History, and even Philosophy to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: WL_HumanitiesH.jpg (270KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
WL_HumanitiesH.jpg
270KB, 1280x720px
Why don't Literature and History, and even Philosophy to some extent, get the same amount of respect as the natural sciences such as Mathematics, Physics and Medicine in the academic world?
>>
>>1773062
Scientism
>>
>>1773062
Because it isn't STEM.
It contributed absolutely nothing beside peons to toil away in service positions.
>>
>>1773062
Because a science, math, and medicine have far more practical applications.
>>
I wonder why

http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/09/a-texas-college-is-offering-a-course-on-beyonces-lemonade.html

Classics and Analytical Philosophy are OK.
>>
>>1773062
Because one group of things are objective and another is subjective.
>>
>>1773267
honestly, this

I like literature, history, and philosophy and all but STEM and shit is just more lucrative

people gotta eat
>>
Literature and history can't generate capital, my man.
>>
Improving quality of life verse perspective on life.
>>
Because liberals use them to push their ideologies.
>>
>>1773062
too many sophists & bad writing
>>
>>1773062
We live in the peak point of a Culture or Society of Merchants, were pragmatic capitalists dictate what is respected and what is not. Humanities are mostly useless for them so they're disregarded.

In the past, when this Culture of Merchants was already king (since it's been for a long time) but not as developed as it is now, history, philosophy and literature were seen as valuable by the elite to differentiate themselves from the lower castes. But today we have so called social movement where everyone can be in the elites as long as they're succesful in business. In the recent past, in transitional points, you could buy nobility, today there's not even the need to do so because if you can afford that you're already in the elite. It's almost impossible to get rich (ie high class) by learning about Literature, History or Philosophy so they're disciplines that are not to be respected.

Humanities were respected when it was taken for granted that anyone studying them was in the high castes and therefore deserving of respect. This doesn't happen anymore, so they're not respected.
>>
edgefags, thats why

a true academic should be versed in both natural science and philosophy
>>
>>1773244
This.
Arguing about nonsence is fun but bridges gotta be build and legs amputated.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.