[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do we know about Gaelic Irish society? Specifically before

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: gallery_1.jpg (2MB, 3300x2200px) Image search: [Google]
gallery_1.jpg
2MB, 3300x2200px
What do we know about Gaelic Irish society?
Specifically before the advent of Christianity.
What was their social order, religion, and warfare like?
>>
>>1756861
All the memes of Irish today are them without it being untrue and just ironically wrong.
>>
>>1757114
What are you trying to say?
>>
File: eire.jpg (547KB, 1040x1066px) Image search: [Google]
eire.jpg
547KB, 1040x1066px
Tribes with very strange customs doing nothing but raiding each other for cattle.
>>
>>1757218
Are these depiction accurate or are they just fanfic?
>>
No towns or cities, population was very spread out. War amounted to small scale cattle raids and skirmishes.
>>
The Irish epics give a good picture

Insular celts were very primitive compared to mainlanders
>>
Imagine the Maasai or Zulu but white with shittier weather
>>
>>1757278
Fanfic someone on /his/ made.
>>
>>1756861
>Specifically before the advent of Christianity.
Nothing, more or less. Christianity brought literacy to Ireland, and that's when we really get Irish History going.

We actually know more about the pre-celts, given their tendency towards Megalithic architecture.
>>
>>1757114
Don't just say it. Explain it you fucking idiot.

Sick of people on this board making these kind of statements then not even going to the effort of typing a couple of sentences to explain them.
>>
>>1758650
you are literally everywhere fuck me
>>
Yes, there are thousands of books on every possible facet of Irish culture you could possibly imagine. Irish history is one of the most disproportionately studied topics in western historiography. Since the 1880s there have been over 200 articles and books written specifically about the death date of St Columba, for example. People go full autistic over the Irish and I have no idea why.
>before the advent of Christianity
Actually with this consideration there isn't a whole lot. They weren't big into writing before Christianity and what we do know is mostly speculation based on stories like the Táin
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.