[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"IF WE ARE IMMORTAL, we have to be so in essence and not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: Immortality.jpg (52KB, 548x325px) Image search: [Google]
Immortality.jpg
52KB, 548x325px
"IF WE ARE IMMORTAL, we have to be so in essence and not by accident. Immortality then is our true condition and the plane of reality in which we actually exist. In this case, this bodily life is but a tiny fraction of our reality, a momentary appearance that conceals our true substance. As a result, all the knowledge we can acquire within the limits of bodily existence is only an appearance of an appearance. Although it seizes genuine portions of reality, it can not have in itself its very foundation, but it has to get it in the realm of immortality.
All this is clear. What confuses things is that the term "immortality" in this culture, acquired the connotation of something that manifests itself - if there is - after physical death. It hides there an entirely absurd suggestion: we are mortal in life, but "become" immortal after death, as if death were to move to a state of existence radically separate, heterogeneous and incommunicable to the present life. It is in this assumption that rests all hope of a purely immanent knowledge, without reference to the "beyond". If immortality exists, that hope is as absurd as the assumption that sustains it. If we have a life that transcends all times, this life transcends and therefore covers instead of delete, its slice immersed in duration. If we are immortal, we have to be so far from the present life, instead of being immortalized by death. Death can not immortalize the mortal: it can only make manifest the existing immortality and challenge, in the same act, the illusion of mortality. "

Are we immortal, /his/?
>>
>>1744013
>Are we immortal, /his/?

We cannot know. We can't even know if our sense of logic itself is not a deception of our subjectivity, which would make anything being "true" or "false" a joke.

What is the source for your text? Google can't find anything.
>>
>>1744139
>We can't even know if our sense of logic itself is not a deception of our subjectivity, which would make anything being "true" or "false" a joke

I don't want to spoil the surprise but you are more right than you know.
>>
>>1744013

This is basic Platonism
>>
>>1744154
>I don't want to spoil the surprise

C-come on
>>
>>1744139
It's a contemporary brazilian essayist/philosopher, Olavo de Carvalho. I just poorly translated a part of one of his newspaper articles.

http://www.docfoc.com/a-imortalidade-como-premissa-do-metodo-filosofico

>>1744161
Yes, and christianism too.
>>
>>1744013
Yes, but in the christian worldview, it's possible that everything that is happening now will be remembered no more.

Physical death of the body as a transition from one form to the next is a pretty solid theory; e.g. caterpillars into butterflies.
>>
>>1744203
Immortality cannot "happen". It always exists.
That's the whole point.

Immortality is an experience we can achieve in this life if we get rid of the appearances.
>>
>>1744210
By your logic, it will be experienced whether or not anyone gets rid of any appearances; a view I subscribe to, by the way.

You don't have to think you're immortal to be immortal; once conceived, you're immortal.
>>
File: 56776876856.jpg (442KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
56776876856.jpg
442KB, 1600x1200px
>>1744225
Yes, but the cognition of eternity is something necessary to get rid of appearances.
>>
>>1744240
I see it more as a done deal, something that's gonna happen whether you want it to or not, whether you believe in it or not, and whether you're prepared for it or not.

This world is a filter. The next world is the one you want to live on. Not this one. This one has been ruined, again by immortal beings.
>>
we are immortal, we just have no memory of what happens before and after, our current forms just happen to store memory, that's all
>>
Yes. We never truly die, only turn into different things via when our body decomposes after we "die"

We're not cognizant like we are now though.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.