[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Not sure if this is the best board >where can you buy original

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (22KB, 236x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22KB, 236x300px
Not sure if this is the best board

>where can you buy original artifacts from antiquity?

I've always wanted some stuff from Babylon or Sumeria and various other civilizations . All I can find on eBay is reproduction
>>
Good luck finding anything that old, most of its in museums somewhere.
>>
>>1742076
I heard ISIS has some pretty crazy deals on shit like that.
>>
File: image.jpg (465KB, 4272x3204px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
465KB, 4272x3204px
>>1743514
Bomb the shit out of them and take their artifacts
>>
Black market or private auctions
>>
>>1743530
Why does it have to be the black market? The shit isnt illegal to sale.
>>
>>1743993

It is if it's stolen i.e. grave robbing.
>>
>>1743995
This. It's technically not illegal to sell antiquities (although this varies by location), it is illegal to sell items that were acquired illegally, and most antiquities are.

So, the market is mostly underground. And whether you're buying stuff from a legitimate venue or not, things are going to be ridiculously expensive. Whatever you think something probably costs, in reality it might cost ten times that. No artifact you think is going to be cool is going to cost less than a few thousand dollars. I rarely know how much things cost (I'm an archaeologist, so we don't sell the shit we dig up), but every time I hear from someone who pays attention to this stuff, I'm shocked.
>>
>>1743524
Bombing the shit out of them would destroy said artifacts. Instead, I say we tell the UN to fuck off and gas the fuckers so bad, that even the goddam cockroaches die.
>>
>>1743995
How the fuck is it grave robbing, but being an archaeologist isnt grave robbing?
>>
>>1744050
The spook of legality and permits
>>
>>1744050

>but being an archaeologist isnt grave robbing?
You have a permission. If you dont, you are grave robbing.
>>
>>1744050
Government approval/permits, valid research goals, methodology, and sometimes community participation. Pot hunting is people digging things up and destroying context (along with things they don't care about) to find shit they can sell. Archaeology is about careful excavation to uncover details about the past. It's all about methods and intent.

I've been to sites that have been heavily looted. It's pretty sad seeing the kinds of things have been destroyed so some rich person can pay $50,000 for a cool looking bowl they want on their table. And it's really frustrating working around it.
>>
>>1744059
for all we know archelogist are ruining shit as well, years ago people thought they were doing the right thing but they were fucking it up. 200 years from now we may find out you were fucking it up.
>>
>>1744069
Maybe, but that's why methods keep improving and researchers rarely do 100% excavation. There's a deliberate effort to not ruin shit, and everything gets recorded just in case.

There's a big difference between that and digging out an entire Pueblo and throwing everything that isn't a complete, fancy bowl down a hillside.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.