[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Serious question about Christian doctrine. It is said that atheists

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

Serious question about Christian doctrine.
It is said that atheists go to hell because they lack faith in God.
It is also often stated that the Biblical description of hell is metaphorical - that hell is an eternal existence of being unable to reach or percieve God.

If we were to take that interpretation of hell as accurate, how would it be any different from ordinary life for atheists?
>>
>>1735963
god is like the sun whose warmth falls on everyone, believers and unbelievers alike. after death this warmth is removed and the soul itself is judged.
>>
>>1735963
>If we were to take that interpretation of hell as accurate, how would it be any different from ordinary life for atheists?

Atheists are perfectly able to reach and perceive God, they are just unwilling to. The difference between hell and everyday for an atheist, is that in hell the atheist has been stripped of his delusions and now ACTUALLY cannot reach or perceive God.

It's the equivalent of one of those bitches that's always cold complaining about how "there's no heat in here the air-conditioning is too high" being dumped into an environment where the temperature is absolute zero and there actually is no heat there.
>>
>>1735982
How exactly does that "warmth" affect individuals?
>>
>>1736009
That's bullshit. If it were just a matter of choice, you wouldn't have so many people struggling with their faith or ultimately losing it. If they were able to actually percieve God, there wouldn't be any question of faith, they'd just know He was there. And what of atheists? If they could percieve God, the same would apply to them.
>>
>>1736011
it feels nice; god is the source of all good things even for those who don't believe in him
>>
>>1735963
>Serious question about Christian doctrine.
why? :'(
>It is said that atheists go to hell because they lack faith in God.
Not quite. It's more like we're separated from God, and atheism is hindering your reconciliation.
>It is also often stated that the Biblical description of hell is metaphorical - that hell is an eternal existence of being unable to reach or perceive God.
Yes, kinda, and no.
>If we were to take that interpretation of hell as accurate, how would it be any different from ordinary life for atheists?
Like I said, its not quite accurate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxkYOCJ0pM0
>>
>>1735963
A lot of people are atheist before they identify as Christian.
>>
>>1736050
But people can take pleasure from evil too.
And shit that "feels good" is in most cases a bunch of chems rushing through your brain, these wont be there after death.
>>
>>1737131
the point is that god generously allows all people, regardless whether they believe in him, to experience good things and you are right that this grace will not continue after death
>>
>>1735963
Hell is just the furthest away from the love of god that you can be. There is no chains of sulfur and flame and people with pitchforks there to torture you
>>
>>1737139
Well, if he goes out of his way to grant good and then stops so, its safe to assume he doest go out of his way to grant nongood/pain.
If we say that nongood/evil is the absence of good which seems to be common doctrine and urthermore that evil/nongood is not equally strong to good/was not there before as it can not create then I should be left with my mind after death and no substance upholding creative thought and sustenace.

Doesnt sounds like suffering, more like being ceasing to be or be turned into a computer like entity.
>>
>>1737154
jesus described it as a fiery furnace where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth (matthew 13:42)
>>
>>1737151
So you're saying Jesus was a liar?
>>
>>1737178
So Souls have theeth ?
nice.
>>
Revelation 21:8 Hell is a fiery lake of burning sulfur.

2 Thessalonians 1:9 everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord

>>javascript:quote('1737178');

mark 9:43 If your hand causes you to stumble, cut if off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out.

Jude 1:7 In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishments of eternal fire. (They were burned by sulfur).

There is more of the same. Like others were saying, it is not clear what is poetic imagery and what is fact. It is generally agreed hell is bad.

Can an atheist be saved, yes(ish). Everyone gets judged. Not all Christians will make it to heaven, and those who have not herd the word... well Romans 1:20 For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities-his external power and divine nature- have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.
>>
>>1735963
I am Catholic and while I am not sure if this matches up with official church dogma I believe that if a person is fundamentally good and did good acts then God will save then regardless if they believe in him or not. If they actively try to turn others away from God or just constantly talk shit I doubt they would be saved however.
>>
>>1737539
Well, the whole faith being a prerequisite of salvation does come from the Bible, you know? In fact, that is stressed so much that it comes off as much, much more important than good works.

t. someone who read the Bible
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.