[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-env ironment-37452287 >

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 5

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-37452287

> Two skeletons have been discovered in a London graveyard which could change our view of the history of Europe and Asia.

> Analysis of the bones, found in a Roman burial place in Southwark, discovered that they dated to between the 2nd and 4th Century AD and were probably ethnically Chinese.

> Dr Rebecca Redfern, curator of human osteology at the Museum of London, told BBC Radio 4's The World at One the find was "the first time in Roman Britain we've identified people with Asian ancestry" and it was "absolutely phenomenal".

Who were they?
>>
>>1733158
chink slaves probably
>>
>>1733158
China-Rome contact confirmed.
>>
>>1733158
A really really adventurous merchant.
>>
>BBC
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they're taking things out of context and just making a click bait article. BBC is fucking gawker tier with clickbait news.
>>
>>1733158
Making a delivery
>>
>>1733212
This was already confirmed though.

We know that the two had contact at least twice, once from two Han emissaries and a second time from a Roman roman emissary thanks to Han records.

There's a third point of contact but who it was that the romans met with was vague. It could've been anybody from central asia, india, or China.
>>
>>1733179
> burried on a roman graveyard
> slaves
>>
>>1733240
could of been a freed slave. as incredibly rare as Asians would be in Europe back then it's very possible for some to have made their way there through trade routes either as traders or as slaves
>>
>>1733212
There would have been alot more if the fucking Parthians wern't a bunch of scheming bastards who purposly misled a chinese trade mission about the length of the final leg of the trip from China to Rome.
>>
>ethnically Chinese

You can't determine ethnicity from bones, unless they found some cultural artifacts in association with the remains, which they apparently didn't. You CAN tell race (which is not the same thing as ethnicity), certain physical activities, and diet from bones, but there is no way those alone could add up to "Chinese."

In other words, they found some Mongoloid skeletons, which they're assuming are Chinese. The bones could just as easily be Mongoloid pre-Inuit native Americans from the arctic, depending on a few things like the teeth.

Osteologists should stay the fuck away from archeological remains and call in biological anthropologists.
>>
I haven't found the paper that talks about this burial but I'm calling it already. Archaeologists probably found bones with traces of elements not from the surrounding area and they're saying these skeletons might be from somewhere else perhaps mainland Europe or the Middle East. And the news is taking that paper along with the interpretation from some literally who and running it as "CHINESE SKELETONS FOUND IN ROMAN BRITAIN".
>>
>>1733158
This is like the multiculturalist equivalent to Nazis and their Aryanism
>>
I mean, haven't Roman coins been found as far as Malaysia? A couple of East Asians making their way west, joining the Roman army and being shipped off the Britain is something improbable, but certainly not that unthinkable, right?
>>
>two Chinese dudes decide to find the glorious Eastern Kingdom of myth.
>wander East until they are stopped by water, cross it, get stopped by even bigger water, and die
>troll historians of the distant future
>>
>>1733321

>Jing-Qui and Tong-Lau are curious of this mysterious rome
>Decide to go adventuring
>End up in fucking britain

Worst road trip ever desu
>>
>>1733158
>Who were they?

Hwan necrodrones whose biostatis pods failed and disintegrated, obviously.

England confirmed for Tombworld.
>>
>>1733321
>>1733339
The Chinese, Persians/Parthians, and Romans/Byzantines were all either directly or indirectly interacting with each other through the path and merchant trade routes of the Silk Road. Roman and Byzantine coins are found in Chinese historical sites, so are Persian ones, all three were generally interacting with each other so knowing of each other's existence isn't really unfounded.

In fact another reason for Crassus' expedition and invasion of the Parthian Empire was because he wanted to cut the Iranians out of being the middlemen of the Silk Road and to make direct diplomatic relations with the Chinese in Central Asia, as well as turn southwards again to see the Indian sea.
>>
>>1733286
>actual scientists should stay the fuck away and call the meme ones

Anyway they already answered your question by dating them to between the 2nd and 4th century AD
>>
>>1733367
>Roman and Byzantine coins are found in Chinese historical sites
Didn't the Byzantines fucking steal silk worm larva and saplings of the trees silk worms feed off of and create a burgeoning silk industry in the West?
>>
>>1733339
Id kill myself too if I ended up in Britain.

I would love if they can actually say they are Chinese. I think we give the maddive empires of Rome and China too little credit. I would not be surprised if at some point we find out they had more relations. We know Rome sent emissaries in the 160s AD. There was also a story of some legionaries that possibly made it to China after the army had been beaten by the Parthians. The chinese talked about white men who fought in a tortoise formationfor them as well as mercenaries. Apparently they found some Chinese with a little Roman genetics too but thats not really conclusive.
>>
>>1733390
Yup; monks smuggled them in their walking sticks.

Shame we don't know more about this mission because it sounds absolutely insane
>>
>>1733158
>could change our view of the history of Europe and Asia.
In what fucking way? We already know that the Chinese knew about the Romans and even had emissaries send shit to each other during that period in time. Da Qin means something.
>>
>>1733401
That's a movie I'd like to see.

It could be a historical comedy featuring Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, and Martin Freeman.
>>
>>1733310
Chinese coins have been found in pre-contact Indian burials on the east coast of the Americas.
>>
>>1733387
Archaeologists and biological anthropologists ARE actual scientists better specialized to deal with this find than osteologists.

If you found some ancient tree remains that you wanted identified, would you call a phytologist, a xylologist, or a paleobotinist?

You CANNOT determine the ethnicity of skeletal remains in the absence of artifacts. I don't care how old they are. The furthest you can nail it down is race.

I want to read the paper.
>>
>>1733444
I'd watch it
>>
>>1733939
What were Indians doing in America?
>>
File: spearhancavalry.jpg (63KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
spearhancavalry.jpg
63KB, 800x600px
>>1733158
>the great Roman empire makes contact with the great Han empire

>some low rank Han soldiers ended up being hired by Romans as mercenaries in Persia

>two Han soldiers were regrouped into a different legion sent to Britannia to quell a barbarian Pict uprising

>they die in a glorious last stand against their Roman brothers fighting side by side against the Picts

10/10 wud watch again movie of the year every year
>>
>>1734048
Feather, not dot.
>>
>>1733158
who would've won in a fight rome or han
>>
>>1733939
Fuck off Gavin Menzies.
>>
HORR UP
>>
>>1733939
All I've seen is chink shit bronze in Alaska, nowhere else.
>>
>>1734215
Han, he knows karate.
>>
>>1734237
SO *eats dog* *manages laundry* *builds railroad* *digs for gold*
>>
>>1733177

Do yourself a favor and leave this site, my man.
>>
>>1733177
WUZ
>>
>>1734062
>Die against the picts
>End up buried in London

Doesn't add up, why would they not burry them closer to pictland if they are low-rank
>>
>>1734650
Maybe they would be carried by fellow legionnaires back to London for a proper burial
>>
>>1734655
But there are Roman burial grounds at Hadrian's wall
>>
>>1734667
The Han talked about how big cities were where they came from and how they miss the hustle and bustle, so the Romans buried them in the largest city in range of their bodies not suppurating.
>>
>>1734650
So the Chinese that fought were actually high-ranking?
>>
>>1733158
That bitch drug pusher that Ragnar strangled
>>
>>1733396
That stuff gets parroted way too much
They describe their combatants using a fish, presumably as in fish scales
I always assumed it was baktrian, never seen any proof that it could be rome
>>
>>1734761
>Using a fish
Kek, not even sure what I was trying to say there
Anyway I so assume it's baktrian since fish scales could be like their scale linthorax or their shields in phalanx
Romans don't fight in testudo either, well maybe the later shieldwall style, but not the testudo we think of
>>
>>1734489

>triggered
>>
>>1733158
>2nd and 4th century
They may very well be Huns.
>>
File: 1376878552431.gif (183KB, 214x200px) Image search: [Google]
1376878552431.gif
183KB, 214x200px
>>1733158
>Analysis of the bones, found in a Roman burial place in Southwark, discovered that they dated to between the 2nd and 4th Century AD and were probably ethnically Chinese.
>ethnicity
>from bones
>>
>>1733158
Chinese tourists desecrating more monuments so people know they were there
>>
>>1734004

you keep saying race when the American Anthropolgist Association themselves have released a decree in the late 90s that says "race don't real"..

http://www.virginia.edu/woodson/courses/aas102%20(spring%2001)/articles/aaa_race.html

Mongolian is an ethnicity, as is Semitic and so on..
>>
>>1733158
What isn't interesting about this at that there were Chinese visitors to the Roman Empire. We already knew that had happened. What is interesting is why the fuck they were in Britain, one of the most backwater provinces in the empire.
>>
Dragon Blade confirmed for historically accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjzu4k7PouY
>>
>>1734574
CHANGZ
>>
>traders on the Silk Road
>get captured, enslaved, eventually end up in a market in Syria
>die of a heart attack while fanning some perfumed cunt in a far-off, barbaric island where it rains all the time and they tell time via bongs
>>
>>1733158
WE
>>
>>1733339
Sounds like a fun movie plot, desu.
>>
>>1733339
Ching and Chong's excellent adventure
>>
File: Yang_Kyoungjong.jpg (3MB, 2480x3036px) Image search: [Google]
Yang_Kyoungjong.jpg
3MB, 2480x3036px
>>1734062

you know, this story sounds familiar
>>
>>1733229
keked hard for some reason
>>
>>1736383
Is this movie any good?
>>
>>1736373
> Ching and Chong leave home, find Rome
>they look and talk funny, can't get jobs except as soldiers
> everyone hates them so they get sent to Britain
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.