[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Descartes' philosophy the best philosophy? If we were

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1455154228198.png (436KB, 560x589px) Image search: [Google]
1455154228198.png
436KB, 560x589px
Was Descartes' philosophy the best philosophy?

If we were to quantify a philosophy's "goodness" by having goodness decrease linearly as the number of assumptions required to reach the conclusion of your philosophy increases, Descartes' "i think therefore i am" makes one assumption and reaches a correct conclusion.

Less-good philosophies like a religion usually require a shitload of assumptions in order to be considered logically sound, some of which are contradictory

I'm only asking this because I want to beat Descartes' high score. Can you found a philosophy on zero assumptions?
>>
>implying you can quantify 'goodness'
>>
>>1726719

if you could sum up Descartes whole philosophy into one sentence, what would it be?
>>
>>1726719
>Less-good philosophies like a religion
descartes worked for the catholic church that paid for his every meal and roof over his head. his shit was based in self evident truths, its all complete bullshit. his meditations show hes not a complete jackass but his mind-body split is one slippery slope step away from instituionalised schizophrenia (mind-mind split) and that institution is the christian society we live in and the beliefs it upholds. show me some guy with a battle axe cleaving his skull in two now thats a mind-body split.
>>
Literal pseudo intellectualism.
>>
Obviously you haven't read any Descartes. After figuring out he exists, he proceeds to try to reverse-engineer some justification for the existence of the abrahamic god.

Hume and Stirner are who you're looking for.
>>
>makes one assumption

I'm afraid you're full shit friend. Welcome to Freshman year.
>>
>>1726747
You can if you're a utilitarian. It's part of the reason why utilitarians are so ubiquitous in academic philosophy.
>>
>Descartes' "i think therefore i am" makes one assumption and reaches a correct conclusion.

And what would falsify this?
>>
>>1726760
Give her the D
>>
>>1726799
Materialist like Hobbes, Descartes shuts him down though.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.