[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was criminology and investigation like in the Middle Ages

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

What was criminology and investigation like in the Middle Ages in Western Europe? Say for example Edgar the retarded peasant finds a dead body in the field he's sowing when he leaves for the morning; who does he report this to? Who investigates the crime? Does anyone investigate the crime? Any books on the subject would be much appreciated.
>>
Did you really need to investigate if there is like 10 suspects and everyone know that shady guy, who is capable to do fucked shit?
>>
They didn't do investigation. They relied on oaths and ordeals. Iirc the trial for felony was ordeal. Youd have to walk across coals or hold a burning pot then hope the wound doesn't get infected because infection was proof of guilt for example.
>>
Not in the West really.

The idea of a detective who has primary responsibility to investigate a crime is a 18th/19th century thing.

In feudal times, you'd probably ask your lord to handle it, or have your own family do it.
>>
>>1724462

This was the case in pre-norman England by the way.

They also had each other accountable with a communal form of justice. Each person in a village would enter into frankpledge with a dozen others and they would collectively be held responsible for producing any one among them accused of a crime. If they failed to produce a suspected criminal they would all be fined by the Sheriff, who was a local administrator appointed by the local Lord and later under Norman rule, the king.
>>
>>1724462
>>1724488

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trial_by_ordeal
>>
>>1724462
literally poo in loo-tier law-and-order but white boys want to act like paragons of civillization
>>
I know that by 9th century AD the Chinese, Indians, Persians, and Arabs had developed systems of criminology and trained detectives and investigators to assist in murders.

As for the West, they developed this much later, sometime around the late 18th century.
>>
>>1725663
>trained detectives and investigators to assist in murders.
Seems like a conflict of interest desu
>>
>>1725665
Epic contribution to the thread! XD
+1 karma for you!
>>
>>1725608
B-but Europeans wuz kangz n' shiet.
>>
>>1725608
>what is roman law
>what is a bailiff
>>
>>1725665

It beats the baseless and wild accusations by the townsfolk who want you exiled so they can steal your cattle.
>>
>>1724436
I want to know everything I can about the man in these stock images.
>>
Read the Faithful Executioner by Joel Harrington
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.