[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is heraclius the most underrated emperor of all time? >The

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

is heraclius the most underrated emperor of all time?

>The victorious conclusion of the Byzantine-sassanian war cemented Heraclius' position as one of history's most successful generals. He was hailed as "the new Scipio" for his six years of unbroken victories and for leading the Roman army where no Roman army had ever gone before.[64][144] The triumphal raising of the True Cross in the Hagia Sophia was a crowning moment in his achievements. Had Heraclius died then, he would have been recorded in history, in the words of Norman Davies, as "the greatest Roman general since Julius Caesar".[64] Instead, he lived through the Arab invasions, losing battle after battle against their onslaught and tarnishing his reputation for victory. John Norwich succinctly described Heraclius as having "lived too long".[149]

his whole life reads like a greek play
>>
>>1717712
He was the sole cause why the Byzantine front collapsed to Sassanians. Phokas was quite effective in defending the border until Heraclius appeared.

The whole fame that Heraclius enjoys is mostly just propaganda employed by the dynasty he founded.
>>
>>1717712

John J Norwich's books are dope. I'm reading "The Middle Sea: a History of the Mediterranean"
>>
>>1717833
t. Phocas
>>
>>1717833
>He was the sole cause why the Byzantine front collapsed to Sassanians

how so? he literally ended the war
>>
>>1717851
After 20 or so years of fighting that completely exhausted the Empire.

Before Heraclius showed up, the war was contained to border fortresses and wasn't even considered as overly serious. It was the chaos caused by Heraclius' rebellion and usurpation that allowed the Persians to break through.

Later byzantine chronicles go in lengths to whitewash Heraclius from this catastrophe.
>>
>>1717867
This. Heraclius was shit emperor who had the luck of having his descendants to sit on the throne long enough to successfully build his image of a savior.
>>
>>1717712
Which Roman emperors were the best in the history of the empire (Byzantine included too)?
>>
File: 1471957232684-his.png (1MB, 1062x764px) Image search: [Google]
1471957232684-his.png
1MB, 1062x764px
>>1720155
The best:
Trajan
Hadrian
Diocletian
Augustus
Basil II
Constantine
Heraclius
Domitian
Alexios Komnenos
Majorian
Theodosius

The worst:
Honorius
Phocas
Caracalla
Commodus
Caligula
Elagabalus
John VIII
Isaac Angelus

The most interesting to read about:
Justinian I
Justinian II
Claudius
Constantius II
Julian
Constantine XI
Valerian
Maximinus Thrax
Aurelian
Michael IV
Marcus Aurelius
John Tzimisces
Zeno
Constantine VII
Nicephoros Phocas

Just my opinions t.b.h.
>>
File: well memed my friend heraclius.jpg (103KB, 392x701px) Image search: [Google]
well memed my friend heraclius.jpg
103KB, 392x701px
>>1717833
>>
>>1720179
Aurelian, Claudius, and Antoninus Pius should all be in best list. Say what you will about Pius but his reign was the high water mark of the Roman Empire
>>
>>1720179
Pretty good list but I'd trade Claudius and Theodosius spots

Also if you're counting Majorian among the best, Aurelian deserves to be up there with him
>>
File: ter06ah6.jpg (147KB, 1024x789px) Image search: [Google]
ter06ah6.jpg
147KB, 1024x789px
>>
File: khalidibnalwalid.jpg (36KB, 615x405px) Image search: [Google]
khalidibnalwalid.jpg
36KB, 615x405px
>>1717712
Yeah, Heraclius was great.

Really provided a warm welcome for me and my brothers in Syria, Egypt and Iraq.
>>
what do you think will happen if the arabs stayed in their corner of the world and didnt chimp out?
>>
>>1720196
>aurelian
>good

MUH DEEP PHILOSOPHER EMPEROR
>>
>>1721570
You sure your not talking about Marcus Aurelius dipshit?
>>
>>1720179
Wait, why would Domitian and Majorian be on that list as the best? Weren't John Tzimiskes and Nikephoros Phokas good emperors too? Marcus Aurelius?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.