[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So... who took these photos? I'm interested to know journalism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: landing-60527_640.jpg (80KB, 640x485px) Image search: [Google]
landing-60527_640.jpg
80KB, 640x485px
So... who took these photos?
I'm interested to know journalism from the battlefield worked back then? It's not like they could link up to WiFi and some of these photos are amazing.
>>
>>1713629
>So... who took these photos?
Military "journalists" Basically riflemen that also get issued a camera that had orders to snap pictures whenever they could. Shame about what happened to all of the Omaha photos. Out of thousands of photos taken, there are only a dozen or so that still exist.
>>
>>1713643
you mean still exist full stop or just what you'll ever be able to see?
>>
>>1713830
I mean still exist full stop. Some chucklefuck dropped most of the film, video and photograph, into the fucking channel on accident.
>>
>>1713846
probably a cover story for the real photos being swapped out earlier on
>>
>>1713848
If you say so. If that were the case, the "real" photographs and film would be in the National Archive. They aren't. The shit sank.
>>
>>1713859
you mean they werent floaters???
>>
>>1713846
No.

Robert Capa was in the first wave and took some photos, but most of them got destroyed in the development process. Yes there are photos but they are slightly blurry
>>
>>1713870
Capa wasn't the only photographer on Omaha. His photos weren't dropped in the drink because he was injured and thus his photos weren't collected until later.
>>
>>1713629
That's a US Coast Guard photo.

>>1713643
The Signal Corp guys weren't combat troops, they were their own unit and some more influenced by Hollywood than others. By that I mean most staged their shots while others took a more journalistic approach. It's something of an underlying conflict in books about them, as they were supposed to be documenting the war but those who staged more dramatic footage got praised.

>>1713848
It's a pretty well documented event, even down to the individual officer's orders to collect the film from the beach master. The only surviving Signal Corp photos of Omaha were taken by a photographer who was wounded and thus unable to turn his film in. There were also mounted cameras on some of the landing craft, (as seen in the famous British/Canadian footage), but they were lost in the dufflebag too.

The "conspiracy theory" footage has to do with an OSS photographer who dropped into Normandy early to film from the German side, but I've not seen any evidence that it actually exists. http://articles.latimes.com/1998/oct/23/local/me-35295

>>1713870
Capa was a photojournalist on assignment for Life. He claims to have taken 106 pictures on Omaha, but after hurrying back to England to develop someone fucked up in the darkroom and only 11 negatives were saved. The story is most likely bullshit though.
>>
>>1713629

There were also regular soldiers who, by hobby, were photographers and it's obvious in their work, Tony Vaccaro most famously. His photos are much more authentic, not just because some are graphic but because he's photographing friends and they're not posing as they would for some random snooping photographer. Between him and Cappa's Omaha photos it's pretty obvious what real combat photography looked like.

There's also an interesting German documentary called "Mein Krieg" about regular German soldiers who also happened to photographers; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGbu16FU2j8
>>
>>1714403

'Shooting War' is another good documentary, focusing on American combat cameramen. Here's the bit about the dufflebag; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRohPHLHeLI

Couple years ago some archivist at the Eisenhower Library found the first D-Day film produced for military leadership only days after the invasion. It was screened by Churchill and copies sent to Stalin and Roosevelt. It's nothing groundbreaking, most of it footage people have seen numerous times, but it's interesting for the fact that film in the archives can still be "found"; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcggNe-SEXU

Another recent 'found footage' documentary about Peleliu, film reels found in storage at Quantico; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgAU1demn6k
>>
>>1714403
VERY fast marine running at incredible hihg speed
>>
>>1713629
>I'm interested to know journalism from the battlefield worked back then? It's not like they could link up to WiFi and some of these photos are amazing.

All the official stuff would be sent back to be authorized or censored by the Office of War Information. For the graphic and inflammatory stuff the OWI actually had something called the "Chamber of Horrors". They only allowed the publishing of dead Americans in 1943, and even then it had to be authorized, couldn't show faces, etc... pic related is an example of the censor markings.

Footage from 'With the Marines at Tarawa' famously had to be authorized for public viewing by Roosevelt, which made it such a significant (and shocking at the time) film; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JolhiCbU_u8
>>
>>1713629

You should probably know that a lot of these photos were staged after the fact.
>>
>>1714496
When your "offensive" army has to steal boots from the enemy, you have bigger problems than street names giving away your position.
>>
>>1715669
Shit, it wasn't just the Krauts. Americans had to steal boots from dead Americans during the Bulge too. People would take off their boots to change their socks, arty would come in, and suddenly you're down a pair of boots in sub-zero temps and snow.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.