[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was the Holy Roman Empire the Holy Empire of the Romans, or the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

File: 1460405030425-his.jpg (2MB, 1561x1972px) Image search: [Google]
1460405030425-his.jpg
2MB, 1561x1972px
Was the Holy Roman Empire the Holy Empire of the Romans, or the Empire of the Holy Romans?
>>
>>1711626
It was none of those things.
>>
It was the pathetic confederation of the teutons
>>
File: Hermanpotret.jpg (104KB, 217x275px) Image search: [Google]
Hermanpotret.jpg
104KB, 217x275px
>king of the romans
>not a king
>not of the romans
>>
>>1711626
Holy Roman! An Empire?
>>
MORE LIKE HOLEY ROWMAN AIMPYRE AMIRITE
>>
>>1711626
I jacked off to that map.
>>
>>1711626
>Konigreich Frankreich

Mutes should be genocided to be honest my lads
>>
>>1711626
It was the empire of the Holy Roman Emperor
Note that the title of emperor predates Otto I. meaning that the HRE is named after the Holy Roman Emperor
>>
File: HRE.png (603KB, 532x1763px) Image search: [Google]
HRE.png
603KB, 532x1763px
>>
it was nether, it was actually Empire of the Romans Holy
>>
File: Holly.jpg (49KB, 650x927px) Image search: [Google]
Holly.jpg
49KB, 650x927px
>>1711718
more like Empirical Romani Holly
>>
>>1711626
Heretical Teutonic Patchwork.
>>
File: voltaire stand up.jpg (45KB, 718x540px) Image search: [Google]
voltaire stand up.jpg
45KB, 718x540px
So what's the deal with the Holy Roman Empire? It's not Holy, it's not Roman, and it's not an empire!
>>
>>1712652
>So what's the deal with Germany? They're not Germs, they're not Men, and there's not many of them!
>>
>>1711708
"Eastern Roman Empire".

This is very difficult to say while keeping a straight face. I wonder who can, because indeed it is hard.

"Eastern", you say, grinning like Procopius did. "Eastern", it is its name. But when thinking of "Eastern", you think about how Rome was located in the West. You think about all those who succeeded Rome in the West. You think about how the Catholic Church continued Roman political system in the West.

But then, the funniest is coming: "Roman". Yes, now, you cannot contain your laughter. "Roman" it is called, despite the fact that this "Roman" body is standing on Greece, a land so harsh and poor that it took the Legions of Rome 66 years to set foot in it. A Greek-speaking and non-Roman Catholic people, yes, but still calling themselves "Roman".

And now, here is the end of the fun: "Empire". Now you fell on the ground, laughing so hard you can't breathe. An "Empire", a body made of dozens of pretenders to the throne, all fighting for themselves, giving strange names to their position, full of Despots or Autokrators. An "Empire" who will stay divided and eventually ruled by Turks , while the great powers of Europe create colonies all around the world.

>Eastern
>Roman
>Empire
>>
Imperium Romanium Sancti

Its an empire that is both Roman and Holy.
>>
>>1711626
Holy Empire of the Romans. It was literally "Sacrum Romanum Imperium" - Romanum Imperium = "Empire of the Romans", Sacrum = Holy. Their leader was called "Romanorum Imperator", literally "Emperor of the Romans". So it was the former.

I know you're just memeing though so here

>
>
>
>>
File: voltaire-008.jpg (1MB, 1415x1746px) Image search: [Google]
voltaire-008.jpg
1MB, 1415x1746px
>>1711626
>Holy
>Roman
>Empire
>>
Medieval society considered the Roman Empire a model of universal monarchy. Holy Roman Empire meant a claim of establishing a universal monarchy like the Roman Empire, but Christian.
>>
>>1711708
>>1712696
That's why the ottomans were the real successors desu
>>
Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation was one official name it went by.

Generally though, it was just called "The Empire" by its contemporaries, and the Emperor just known as "the Emperor" or "King of Germany"
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.