[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In the year 5000 ad archaeologists are astonished to have found

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8

File: first-archaeologist-1.jpg (9KB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
first-archaeologist-1.jpg
9KB, 360x240px
In the year 5000 ad archaeologists are astonished to have found artifacts from as far back as the early 2000's.
Assuming that they are just as advanced as we are, and that they know little to nothing about our time period, what would they be able to gather about how our society works?
>>
>>1711105
What a fucking retard
>>
>>1711105
it would be the supposed "real communism" gommies keep talking about.

[collapses]
>>
>dragon dildo

Hmm really make ya think
>>
>>1711142
kek
it's not like we haven't found ancient dildos I don't think it'll surprise anyone really
>>
>>1711105
many fertility godesses
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf1A8Ukk5Us
>>
>>1711105
As an actual archaeologist I'd think a lot of how people will look at the past in the future will be through digital data.

As a species we are taking more photos, writing more material etc then at any other point in our past and we're all putting it online. Where will all this be in 100 years? Or 1000? The internet is so new, I don't think anyone really has any idea. I
>>
File: 1474098918112.png (1MB, 1334x750px) Image search: [Google]
1474098918112.png
1MB, 1334x750px
At this rate they'll be studying the queer deity called "Pepe"
>>
>>1712191
There was a large shitstorm about this.

Stuff on flash drives and other magnetic storage doesn't last that long.
>>
>>1712195
The deity's name is Kek
>>
>>1712197
How long is not that long?
>>
>>1712209
Maybe 10 years depending on the format.

This is assuming that the data isn't actively maintained with something like cloud storage, and isn't transferred to an archival medium.
>>
>>1712212
So how would cloud storage play into this? I assume it's all on apple or Google servers, right?

In which case their survival is really tied to that of the company.
>>
>>1712218
Well, currently, the companies just switch out drives as they burn out, which is often, and rely on redundancy and frequent maintenance to maintain the data.

There are a lot of companies running server farms, but Google and the Feds seem to have the biggest around.

If it's "on the cloud" it's still physically on a drive somewhere, so presumably anything that disrupts that is going to cause a massive shitstorm as everyone loses their data, but shouldn't make the material physically unrecoverable.
>>
>>1711105
>astonished
why would they be astonished, what force could we have unleashed such that finding what was left of this era is a rarity
>>
>>1712218
>>1712241
>>1712212
the "10 years" thing comes from the idea that you'll be deleting and writing lots of data. If you take a flash drive using flash (non-magnetic) and just leave it sitting there, the storage can last indefinitely (until the actual hardware degrades)
>>
>>1712299
global thermonuclear war
kills everyone, ruins agriculture, destroys physical things, and radiation wipes out the grid
Unless you hammered your naruto fanfiction into a stone plaque.
>>
>>1712367
I've heard that the magnetism is eventually destroyed by interference.
>>
File: download.jpg (6KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6KB, 225x225px
>>1711105
they found remains of something called a "NIGar" it seems as if modern humans had been living alongside prehominins for hundreds of years

the prehominins seem to have tried, unsuccessfully, to adapt to modern weapons. ex. a: a prehominin inserting a sequenced steel bullet feeding mechanism into a rotating chamber firearm
>>
>>1711161
It might make them think their ancestors had crazy penises.
>>
>>1711289
This is clearly evidence of a matriarchal society.
>>
>>1712367
>>1712209
>the 10 years thing comes from the idea that you'll be writing data
Wrong. HDDs slowly lose their magnetism just sitting around. Same goes for tape drives and floppy disks.
10 years is the amount of time before data starts to become corrupt. An HDD or other magnetic storage medium could last a couple hundred if it was stored properly, but much of the data would still be corrupt by that time. Nobody really knows exactly how long this stuff will last since all estimates are just based on what has been observed so far.
CDs and DVDs also break down, but for different reasons. Flash drives have to hold an electrical charge and they only last a couple years if they're not plugged in at some point.

http://www.storagecraft.com/blog/data-storage-lifespan/

This has a little information on the subject.

TL;DR is that the only information that will survive the 21st century is info recorded on "obsolete" mediums or things that are kept in huge databanks maintained by some government or corporate entity.
>>
>>1711142
>dragon dildo

If you want to talk about Dragon Dildos, go over and do it on /k/, the official 4chan Dragon dildos board.
>>
>>1711105
>wow look at that nuclear crator over there
>bet they had concrete
>concrete "rediscovered"
>>
File: mot.jpg (107KB, 624x416px) Image search: [Google]
mot.jpg
107KB, 624x416px
>>1711105
>>
>>1711105
>Inscription found upon an ancient databank.
Dr. Pavel, I'm CIA...
>>
>>1711289
desu familia
>>
File: 456745.jpg (634KB, 1189x832px) Image search: [Google]
456745.jpg
634KB, 1189x832px
>>1711289
>see girls, they clearly thought big was beutiful, even back then
>>
File: archive41-500x256.png (80KB, 500x256px) Image search: [Google]
archive41-500x256.png
80KB, 500x256px
>>1712197
>>1712191
Data can last forever, so long as it is maintained. If the internet is still around in another 3000 years, or has been ported over to whatever-the-fuck super-tech equivalent they'll have by then, almost all "archeology" is going to be through digitally mining the Internet Wayback Machine.
>>
>>1713492
>Data can last forever
It literally can't. Even with all the backups in the world, some data corruption is possible. 3,000 years isn't that long though.
>>
>>1713501
Well, it's true, you always lose some stuff... And I think data archiving is actually becoming less common, rather than more, given that losing critical code is still commonplace, and SQL servers and the like get wiped on a regular basis.

...But, of course, you lose at least as much real world stuff to the ravages of time as well. In the end, assuming there's no dark age, or "matrix crash", and everything is kept up, the most information you could hope to glene about folks from this century in 3000 years, would be in digital archives. However incomplete, it'd likely be a much clearer picture than you could get by digging holes.
>>
>>1711105
>they know little to nothing about our time period,

You're a fucking dumbass, dude. Thanks to the internet we have every day life extremely well documented.
>>
>>1713516
We will definitely have much more data fidelity in the next 3000 years than the last 3000 years. I just object to data lasting forever.
>>
>>1713501
we had this thread 4 or 5 days ago

these are history nerds that failed out of basic igh school math.

you'll never convince them that they're actually stupid about information theory. they think computers are magic.

you might as well convince a bunch of religious nuts about evolution
>>
>>1713556
this

t. history nerd who thinks computers are magic
>>
>>1712411
>wake up early
>grab my fanfiction tablet and chisel
>spend 8 hours chiseling in a brief description of Naruto's outfit
>sun goes down, can't chisel in the darkness
>go to sleep, repeat the next day

It's a thankless profession.
>>
>>1713556
>>1713563
>so long as it is maintained
Data outlives the devices that carry it, because it is copied.

Yeah, you're always going to lose some, because of not giving a fuck about it, and a dark age or nuclear war or some such will cause you to lose it all, but if there's no major pause in the existence of civilization or a deliberate mass data wipe, Chinese cultural revolution style, more data about our culture will be around in 3000 years, than physical evidence of it.
>>
>>1713570
So... Dakota Skye is going to be immortal?

(Seriously, bitch must be on every device there is.)
>>
>>1713570
Well, StoryCorps, whose mission statement is to collect random stories from as many people is possible, is putting all their data on one of these:

http://newscenter.lbl.gov/2009/06/03/billion-year-ultra-dense-memory-chip/

Sometimes, computers are magic.

Granted, having something around that can interface with the bloody thing, is another problem - but maybe they're sticking a solution for that in their time capsule too.
>>
>>1713588
Pfft - only a billion years... Got ya beat:
http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/16/11018018/5d-data-storage-glass
>>
>>1713588
If a Storycrops chip and reader is all that's left of us, they'll think we were entirely obsessed with listening to our grandfather's tell long boring stories.

If the Internet is still around, or got ported over to cosmic-psyche-net, they'll think we all suffered from an extreme case of toxoplasmosis, and worshipped cats.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.