[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Canada irrelevant in WW1/2? Could Britain survive just fine

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

File: 1457161742694.jpg (30KB, 307x448px) Image search: [Google]
1457161742694.jpg
30KB, 307x448px
Was Canada irrelevant in WW1/2?

Could Britain survive just fine without Canadian supplies? Would the war(s) have turned out almost exactly the same?
>>
>>1706910
Go read about Vimy Ridge then answer your own question.
>>
>>1706932
Just a minor skirmish in the larger picture
>>
>>1706910
>Lick them over there!
Was "lick" synonymous to kicking ass or were the canucks just gonna suck the germans off?
>>
>>1706932
Every fucking time. Why are Canadians so deluded that they legitimately believe one small battle won the entire war?
>>
>>1706910
They were fairly irrelevant in ww2, but contributed a lot to ww1
>>
>>1707012
typical burger
>>
>>1706910

I don't know much about WW1, so can't help you there.

WW2, Canada was an important part, yes, probably the single greatest contribution of all the Commonwealth Dominions (which doesn't count the UK itself). A shitton of raw materials, even a bit of oil, but also a lot of food, softwoods, and metals came out of Canada. They also built a tremendous amount of the ASW fleet, a lot of the corvettes and DEs were built there, and there was a small but pretty tough contingent of good old fashioned land troops.

Honestly, I don't know enough about the economy of the British empire to say though how much the war would have changed without them. I'm sure alternative sources of raw materials (which probably were the #1 contribution) could have been secured, but would have had greater shipping costs and other expenses, and I'm not knowledgeable enough to guess how much of a gap there would be.
>>
the way I've understood it is that while they obviously didnt have a lot of men to send over, they did contribute a lot of raw goods and materials. Canada is full of natural resources and I am certain that it did greatly impact how Britain fared in the war
>>
The most important of the Commonwealth forces for sure not counting Britain itself
>>
>>1706910
nah they excavated all of frances gold to storage in canada, it was used as a bank, all of nth europe was, for the allies, during 2

degaule etc
>>
>>1706910
>lick them over there
wow gay much?
>>
>>1706910
>WWI
Yes. Canada was less than irrelevant in WWI in the grand scheme of things.

>WWII
Not so much. They definitely played a secondary role (maybe even tertiary) here.
>>
>>1707206
Not more than Australia bro, don't delude.
>>
>>1706910

Canada wasn't able to take part in lend-lease for political reasons so they drew up the Hyde Park Declaration that essentially let them produce American goods in Canada for the UK.

>Its general purpose was to promote economic collaboration between the two countries in the realm of defence and to provide additional assistance to the United Kingdom in doing so. Through its provisions American goods and materials imported by Canada but intended ultimately for use by Great Britain could be brought across the border under the Lend-Lease Act. This interlocking of American lend-lease and Canadian aid to the United Kingdom considerably eased Canada’s balance of payments, without threatening her sovereignty,

Because of that it's hard to quantify just how much Canada contributed in materiel, but it was a lot.

Other commonwealth nations did end up producing a ton of supply through lend-lease as well. Australia and New Zealand were feeding all the allied troops in the Pacific for example, and in the last few years were actually providing more in reverse lend-lease than they were taking in. New Zealand in particular was producing supplies at levels higher than they would normally need domestically. (May be true for Australia as well but I don't remember.)
>>
>>1706910

The British Commonwealth Air Training Plan is probably their biggest contribution as a nation, as Canada was the primary operator, and why Roosevelt termed it the "Aerodrome of democracy." This program is basically what reequipped the RAF after the Battle of Britain.

>At its height of the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan, 131,533 Allied pilots and aircrew were trained in Canada, 72,835 of which were Canadian. At the plan's high point in late 1943, an organisation of over 100,000 administrative personnel operated 107 schools and 184 other supporting units at 231 locations all across Canada. The federal government paid three-quarters of the total bill, an amount in excess of two and a quarter billion dollars.

They trained pilots in WWI, but I don't know much about that program.
>>
File: CiMh4ZlU4AEdzOy.jpg (63KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
CiMh4ZlU4AEdzOy.jpg
63KB, 600x800px
>>1707012
>Was "lick" synonymous to kicking ass or were the canucks just gonna suck the germans off?

"If you kill your enemies, they win" - Justin "Licker" Trudeau.

A wild Justin Trudeau didn't just randomly appear out of nowhere, they have always been like it.
>>
>>1707062
It's the first time Canada was able to distinguish itself.
>>
>>1709548
Could I have a citation for that quote? I've seen it used everywhere but I've never found the source for it.
>>
>>1709558
because he never said it

someone started pretending he said it to prove that /pol/ will believe anything, and it worked
>>
>>1709533
>They trained pilots in WWI
they also fielded the Allies' best non-French fighter pilot of the war
>>
>>1706910
This is perfect "check them" poster I ever seen.
>>
Canadians didn't DO much in either war but they did participate in a lot of battles and helped turn the tide. They provided a lot of support and were hailed as such.

This isn't as glorious as other colonies like Australia who had a great time romping around in Northern Africa and the Middle East in both wars.
>>
>>1706910
Ask the Dutch
>>
>>1706932
>look up battle
170,000 canadians vs 30,000 germans

Typical Chinese numbers I suppose
>>
>>1707206
Yes anon, Canada contributed more than India mmhmm yep sure
>>
a better question
was canada irrelevant in the world?
have they ever done anything distinguishable or notable? they even tried to take credit for burning down the white house despite having literally nothing to do with it.
>>
>>1706910

Commonwealth Air Training Program. British Pilots sent to Canada to train without fear of German attacks, thus granting the RAF endless hours of training, compared to the Germans who didn't get the luxury

The Allies were fighting ww2 on easy mode.
>>
>>1707062

It was the first time all the Canadian units fought together under Canadian command. But yeah, it was a symbolic rather then a great tactical or strategic victory.

Personally the Canada's 100 days was much more worthy of recognition.
>>
>>1707072

Canadians kept the UK in supply,

they served as the test troops for a D-Day Landing at Dieppe at the cost of half the force sent,

They were in Italy and due to British command incompetence, was forced to fight at Ortona, a battle that got so bad it was designated as "Little Stalingrad"

They had their own beach at D-Day and fought brutally at Caen

They liberated the Netherlands in muddy as fuck conditions.

Canadians didn't do the glamorous work. They just did what needed to be done.
>>
>>1710165
in the Netherlands Canadians are seen as being the heroes of ww2
>>
>>1709859

Typical WWI numbers.
>>
>>1709113
>Cum on Canada!
>>
File: 1460256386359.jpg (309KB, 2136x2136px) Image search: [Google]
1460256386359.jpg
309KB, 2136x2136px
>>1707012
>>
>>1712843
oh come ON
you have got to be SHITTING ME
>>
>>1706910
Canadiaans fucking wrecked in WWI
>>
>>1706910
>lick them over there
>come on Canada

lmao Canucks are truly a nation of lovable goofballs
>>
>>1709859

Attackers need at least a 3:1 ratio for success against well entrenched defenders.
>>
>MFW Dice included random borderline nonexistent "British minorities" instead of Canadians in BF1
>>
>>1706910
If Canada didn't exist, world history would not change in the slightest
>>
File: hurrahboys360 copy.jpg (580KB, 400x1191px) Image search: [Google]
hurrahboys360 copy.jpg
580KB, 400x1191px
>>1709551

The Boer War was first, but not nearly as big an impact as in WWI.
>>
>>1709800
>>
More relevant than Australia at least.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.