[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Shakespeare >Samuel Beckett >Gilbert and Sullivan

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: Britan_L3_Europe_UK_MISC883.jpg (69KB, 778x463px) Image search: [Google]
Britan_L3_Europe_UK_MISC883.jpg
69KB, 778x463px
>Shakespeare
>Samuel Beckett
>Gilbert and Sullivan

What is it about these islands that makes them so good at creating great works of theatre?
>>
>lists three English people and an Irish person
I don't get it
>>
>>1705590
I'm saying the British Isles have historically been a factory of great theatre, even compared to Greece, where the whole thing got started.
>>
That's your Anglo-centric perspective factoring in though, as I can guarantee that albeit for Shakespeare (though only for having becoming the inescapable flag-bearer for theater), germans are very unlikely to be knowledgable about Beckett, or Gilbert and so on... They would tell you that Goethe is the world's second greatest playwright, as the french would with Racine.

That said,
>Beckett as your proof for England being the home of fantastic theatre writing
>litterally the guy that wrote his masterpiece in french, then translated it into English
:/
>>
>>1705644
I'm not sure if you realise but England is only one part of those islands in the OP pic.
>>
>>1705601
>anglo centered media popularises anglos

Who could have geussed
>>
>>1705644
I didn't say England, I said the British Isles. This isn't about ethnicity, but more of a geography thing.

Also Gilbert and Sullivan started a worldwide craze in their time, one of their works was the first international copyright, and also the fact that they were the ones to really get amateur theatre going around the world (something that would start vaudeville in America which would build its way both into the modern musical as well as Jazz and Hollywood)
>>
>>1705583
>Gilbert and Sullivan
They were considered lowbrow pleb tier during their time.
>>
File: bestpictureofdarrelfancourt.png (393KB, 441x469px) Image search: [Google]
bestpictureofdarrelfancourt.png
393KB, 441x469px
>>1705671
>low brow
Not quite, they were considered to be "light entertainment" but they were never raunchy or low brow, and that was deliberate on the part of Gilbert and D'Oyly Carte who specifically wanted to make family friendly theater for the middle class London audiences.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.