[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain me the difference and the similarities between

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

Can someone explain me the difference and the similarities between Mayans and Aztecs?
>>
Mayans were the ones with the doomsday calendar meme.

Aztecs were the ones with the human sacrifice and unpronounceable names.
>>
They are both redskins and extinct.
>>
>>1704602
they both had human sacrifice

>>1704592
bunch of red featherniggers who never prdouced anything of note. the mayans didn't have writing so had to count using lengths of rope

there were some indians living in louisiana who managed to make reasonably complex societies, and it seems trade networks extended al the way to the pacific. but they stll had a penchant for human sacrifice.

fuck all of them
>>
what are olmecs
>>
>>1704612
>so had to count using lengths of rope

that was incas anon

also

>>>/pol/
>>
>>1704612
Should the Romans have exterminated everyone north of Italy?

Even taking everything you said as truth (it's not), it's still fucking stupid.
>>
Mayans had writing, Aztecs just had comic books without words. More roughly speaking, the Mayans were to the Aztecs as the ancient Greeks were the to the Romans.
>>
>>1704612

Why do you people like appearing to have low IQ?
>>
>>1704612
>the mayans didn't have writing so had to count using lengths of rope
That's the Incas. The Maya literally had one of the most complex writing systems, it was both syllabic and logographic in a similar way to Japanese is.

>>1704592
The differences is geographically to begin with. Maya were in Southern Mexico, Guatemala, and western Honduras and El Salvador. Aztecs were in the valley of Mexico. The Maya had a much older civilization dating to the Preclassic (1500 bc- c.200) period, interacting with civilizations like the epi-olmec, teotihuacan and classic period zapotecs. Aztec civilization began sometime in the Middle Postclassic period (1200-1300), much later, and they adopted much of their culture from the Toltecs and their Nahua successors who existed in 900-1200 approx.Aztec writing was pictographic, the reason being they interacted with many more ethnically diverse people who spoke different languages (including tonal ones), so to communicate ideas and histories this was more convenient. Both the Aztec and Maya: had human sacrifice, had slavery but to varying extents, ballcourts, skull racks, books, engineering capabilities, poetry, eagle and jaguar warrior ranks, similar deities, etc. etc.

Where they varied depends on two things the time period and region. For example the Maya of the Classic period had different technology, types of food, systems of governance and social orders from their Postclassic counterparts which interacted with the Aztec. Also, theres big difference between the Maya of the lowlands and highlands in the time of the Aztecs. The highland Maya were more Toltec influenced so they had some words of Nahuatl origin, had similar military orders and practices as the Aztecs, and deities were more simialr. Whereas in the lowlands of the north the culture evoked more of a return to the Classic period. Artistically there are big differences between the two, though in the time of the Aztecs theres a clear influence they had on the Maya.
>>
>>1704592
everyone in here is a fucking moron.

for one thing we are talking different time periods. the maya flourished between 200 - 900 AD, though their story obviously begins before that, and continues after. but that is known as the Classic Maya period. The aztecs started up around 1300 and most people would throw the Cortes date of 1521 as the end.

we are also talking different geographies. the maya are in the south, the aztecs had a base in central mexico with many linkages out.

on that note, the aztecs were a proper empire, whereas the maya were organized as city states. there was never a pan-maya empire.

human sacrifice was much more common to the aztecs. the maya were more into ritual bloodletting. this is an opinion, but i typically think of the aztecs are engaged in a quantity game with lots of human sacrifice as an ideological prop in an enormous and complex state. and the maya as more cerebral and intensely symbolic with regards to materials, body parts, and other shit.

the mayans were not to the aztecs as the ancient greeks were to the romans. if ur gonna make that analogy, i'd say the toltecs and/or teotihuacanos:aztecs::greeks:romans. i do like the mediterranean analogies though, i think mexico should be thought of as a great parade of cultures as complex as the mediterranean.

for similarities i'll throw out monumental architecture, pretty similar diet, shared pantheon of gods, shared calendrical system linked to overall cosmology, played the ballgame.
>>
>>1704693
the most sound theory behind the human sacrifice origins (aside from the fact that they are still, to this day, low iq savages) is the evidence that they'd sacrifice virgins. it was a mechanism by which they could compel young women to marry early and pump out children for their war machine.
>>
>>1704700
i don't know what the fuck you are talking about desu. try again
>>
>>1704700
they were feeding gods anon

according to some surviving accounts many sacrifices went extremely willingly, some liberated by spaniards begged to be returned to the aztecs for sacrifice
>>
>>1704704
brilliant/10 I'm loving it. you tolerant historians trul are the master race. great post. I'm sure the human sacrifice ritual actually has an origin in sharing hugs and sunshine.

great thread guys, man /his/ is the smartest board
>>
>>1704693
>pretty similar diet
Mayas didn't get tortillas until the postclassic period. Though there is evidence they may have used chocolate also for sauces like mole today. And contrary to misconceptions this was consumed by commoners, not just reserved for elites.
>>
>>1704711
kek at your defensive ass i just meant i don't know what you mean in that poorly worded post, and if you are talking about aztecs i really dgaf and am uninterested in teh aztecs anyway.

>>1704712
>tortillas
i meant maize, vegetables, and maybe some beans anon, but you're right they didn't have mission tortillas like mom buys at the store. cacao for sure.
>>
>>1704711
It has it's origins most likely linked to their cosmology. By the time the Aztecs arrived it was already happening. So for the Maya who showed evidence of self sacrifice in deity portrayals in the Preclassic murals of San Bartolo as well as bloodletting, I believe it came from their duality point of view - death comes before life, preciousness of blood as worthy offerings. Blood was placed very highly, especially blood of rulers. It's why one of the ceremonies for the ascensions of Maya Kings was to prick their penis and draw blood. The blood would fall on cloth or paper and be burned, where the smoke went to the sky. Sometimes this blood is seen falling on open books and a priest would read this.
>>
>>1704728
this is what i was thinking but i think anon is talking about the aztecs.

maya played the best mind games of all times imo
>>
>>1704728
cosmology is invented to reinforce social systems anon, not vice versa.

consider cannibalism in island cultures. they cannibalize because they reached the malthusian limit, ten search for a way to justify it

what about ritual abortions and children burning in the middle east? it was a response to inadequacies with early farming techniques, and the need for population control.

cosmology is dictated by the actual needs of a civilization.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.