[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it that other European languages have dialects that are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 1473637527220.jpg (98KB, 631x960px) Image search: [Google]
1473637527220.jpg
98KB, 631x960px
Why is it that other European languages have dialects that are fairly far apart, but English doesn't? In Italy, Spain, the German-speaking countries, etc. you have so many different dialects that there needs to be a standard register for people to understand one another. Meanwhile an American, a Britbong, and an Australian all basically speak the same way barring minor differences in vocabulary and spelling.

Are continentals just special snowflakes or is something else going on?
>>
>>1701780

American media effectively acts as homogenizer force, creating a standar example.
>>
>>1701780
There used to be a lot more dialectal diversity, but massive migration from the countryside into the cities in the 20th century caused them all to coalesce.
>>
>>1701780
Aren't some Scottish dialects fairly apart from the correct english?
>>
>>1701780
Have you ever tried talking to a scot? A shitposter? A cockney? The dialects are broad but you dont hear about them often due to how standardized english is.

Those other languages are by leagues older, english in its (mostly) modern form only appeared in the last 700 years or so and only in its true modern form around 300.
>>
>>1701780

Scots is basically an equivalent to disjointed dialects in various European languages.
>>
>>1701780
>speak a german sub dialect
>Germans do not understand me when I talk my mothertongue
>business meetings get so much better
>>
England has a longer history of being a united polity, I would guess. America and Australia were colonised after English spelling and grammar had been standardised and codified.

The southeast coast of Ireland was colonised before this, and so if you look up the dialects of English spoken in Ireland like Yola or Fingalian, they're basically unrecognisable as English

>>1701808
>>1701805
>>1701804
Scots is a whole different case. It's a different language that evolved alongside modern English and was regarded by most Europeans as being a separate language until the beginning of the 18th century. It's not a dialect, at least not historically.

An interesting case to look at might be the Glaswegian dialect, which isn't related to Scots and is a debased form of English.
>>
>>1701817

Scots is called a separate language purely by convention and respect for Scotland's distinctiveness. It's far closer to standard English than several mainland dialects to their standard registers.
>>
>>1701825
Are you sure you aren't thinking of Scottish English? Scots diverged from English in the 13th century and is completely unintelligble to me.
>>
>>1701825
Modern Scots is very close to English because for a period, about 1680 until 1800, it was completely abandoned in terms of literature, and a little later during the World Wars people were discouraged from speaking it as it was seen as being divisive.

Before that, Scots was considered a separate language from English. Different enough to require interpreters and translators, anyhow.
>>
>>1701825
>English has no dialects
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaSFWHCD8aE&list=PLiTaWrQmF2uvRu-T6tiH31Jev58xbrs-W&index=24
>>
>>1701780
OP have you ever heard of Pidgin languages and Caribbean dialects? They aren't as distant as the link between Mandarin based languages, for instance, but they are definitely fairly distant dialects.
>>
>>1701812
>swiss talking swiss german on tv
>subtitled
>>
>>1701866

A pidgin is a "simplificated mixture of languages", not a dialect per se. Or English for that matter.
>>
>>1701863
That playlist ya have there is perturbing.
>>
>>1701866
Yeah, Jamaican Patois sounds very distinct and almost unintelligible to most English speakers unless spoken slowly.
>>
>>1701831

I have a degree in Linguistics and did my thesis on Scots (I'm a native) and it's a dialect not a separate language.
>>
Blame the rise of RP I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTVwdv9Pzo8
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.