[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How was it living in a medieval monastery? How much did it resemble

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: lubiaz13.jpg (212KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
lubiaz13.jpg
212KB, 1280x800px
How was it living in a medieval monastery? How much did it resemble an autarchic commune?
>>
it was pretty ballin i loved it
>>
Why didn't everyone live in monastaries and support themselves farming like the monks did? The bible basically says you're supposed to live like monks
>>
They sometimes had these walled in rooms in them where a hermit lived until he died. There was only a hole to feed him and probably empty his chamber pot.
>>
>>1698625
Saint John Chrysostom was once asked how are married men to be different from monks, and he responded that married men are married.
>>
File: Wigry_-_eremy_2.jpg (2MB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
Wigry_-_eremy_2.jpg
2MB, 3072x2304px
gotta say, those Camaldolese complexes look like a modern closed neighborhood
>>1698628
Wasn't that only in the more strict ones?
>>
>>1698608
kek

Made me choke, I have a retarded sense of humor.
>>
Orthodox monasteries are still basically the same as ancient monasticism, so you might look there for reference.
>>
>>1698655
how is the economy though? I imagine in that matter it's a lot different
>>
Bump for interest.
>>
>>1698625
>The bible basically says you're supposed to live like monks

It's good to live like a monk, but it's not for everyone. Little "monastic" practices like fasting, lots of prayer, and generally going without are still healthy and necessary even if you aren't a monastic.
>>
>>1698655
I remember reading somewhere that Rasputin left one of them because the monks were having too much gay sex.
>>
Monasteries were often located in very desolate areas, mountains, islands, etc, and they were often supported by donations.

Monks did quite a bit of printing and art as well. In France there were traveling monks who lived in the mountains and would come down in the warmer months to distribute what were essentially national newspapers filled with political cartoons.
>>
>>1698596
it would be great only if it was isolated from the outside world. Everybody would be forced to depend on each other. Contrast that to today's society where everyone hates and distrusts each other.
>>
>>1698596
It varies accordind to the times and the geographical position.

An european monk during middle-age; as an example; would use most of his time to drain swamps and cultivate the earth, while an egyptian would use most of his time to pray and work.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.