[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've noticed that a number of northern states waited until

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: ben_franklin.jpg (15KB, 300x296px) Image search: [Google]
ben_franklin.jpg
15KB, 300x296px
I've noticed that a number of northern states waited until the American revolution to abolish slavery. How did the American revolution facilitate slavery's downfall in those states? How did the southern states react during the war?
>>
I'll give it one bump
>>
>>1690526
North was more industrialized and had less use for slaves. Idk why they waited until after the revolution to abolish slavery, maybe the British govt. wouldn't let them.
>>
probably needed all the labor they could get for the war effort
>>
>>1690755
>>1690760
I feel like the battle over slavery before American independence is much less talked about. Like how did the slave system come about from the 1640's to the 1730's, and why did so few people object to it, and who did?
>>
>>1690755
>>1690760
Its also interesting that European Americans achieved population parity with Native Americans around 1700. Right at the time when the colonies where in lockstep towards making all Africans real estate property.
>>
>>1690526
My understanding is northerners started feeling guilty about it just around the time it was on longer an economically viable system in those areas.

Funny that
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abolition_of_slavery_timeline

> 1706: In the case of Smith v. Browne & Cooper, Sir John Holt, Lord Chief Justice of England, rules that "as soon as a Negro comes into England, he becomes free. One may be a villein in England, but not a slave.
>>
>>1691107
Test
>>
>>1691107
>>1691092
Its interesting to consider that the glorious revolution occurs in 1688. It doesnt seem to have much of a legislative impact in regards to slavery but since slavery touched everything im incredibly curious about it. I know very little about nearly 150 years of history and thats fantastically exciting.
>>
>>1690808

>Like how did the slave system come about from the 1640's to the 1730's, and why did so few people object to it, and who did?

Many abolitionists felt an intense religious calling to oppose slavery. Others were intellectuals or businessmen who found the practice repulsive. And more than a few were working class people who simply didn't want to compete against slave labor.
>>
>>1690755
No. The British were taking slaves away from troublemakers and freeing them prior to the war. That helped exacerbate it.
>>
>>1692360
then why wait till there was a war on to make it illegal? See what I mean? There's something I'm missing. I need to find some good books about slaver and abolitionism in colonial america.
>>
>>1690526
bastard blood reaching critical max
>>
>>1692780
What?
>>
>>1690755
>North was more industrialized and had less use for slaves.

Pretty much this.

The abolition of slavery was always an issue in American politics, and it's one of the main causes for the divisions between North and South. When the Democratic Republicans spoke about states' rights, it was almost always spurred by a debate on slavery - they didn't want some rich merchant from Philadelphia or New York ruining the Southern states which were primarily agricultural and used slave labor.
>>
The American Revolution was based on Enlightenment ideas, which were antithetical to slavery.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.