[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is pagan philosophy called "philosophy", but Christian

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1434664599227.jpg (166KB, 500x770px) Image search: [Google]
1434664599227.jpg
166KB, 500x770px
Why is pagan philosophy called "philosophy", but Christian philosophy (except for Kierkegaard) is almost always "theology" instead of philosophy?

For instance, why is it that when Aristotle makes the Unmoved Mover argument, it's called "philosophy", but when Aquinas makes the same argument, it's called "theology"?

"Theology" used to strictly be a mystical term that meant direct experience of the divine, like the art of prayer and all that. Now it's just used as an umbrella term for all Abrahamic philosophy. A fine distinction that started during the Age of Reason, I guess to cut Abrahamic religion out of the philosophical dialogue.
>>
>>1688508
Medieval European authors are considered part of the history of philosophy even if they didn't classify their own writings as philosophical.

>A fine distinction that started during the Age of Reason

The distinction between philosophy and theology actually emerged with the rise of universities in the 11th and 12th centuries. Philosophy was taught as part of the faculty of arts while theology had its own faculty.
>>
>>1688508
Pagan philosophy = mythology
>>
>>1688508
Because the nature of the philosophies between the two time periods are different. The points of view as well as the purpose of thought are different.

Pre-Christian philosophy questions the nature of man and the world without religious introspection.

Post-Christian/Medieval philosophy, like Aquinas for example, is very much based on the idea that Christian belief is a fact and the philosophy is thus centered on humans and the world in the context of Christian truths. That's theological.

Still, as >>1688587 pointed out, they are considered part of the history of philosophy.
>>
>>1688508
Not really. The distinction went so far back to at least Thomas Aquinas.
>>
Because Augustine thought the term up, so his faith gets to own it.
>>
>>1688594
No
>>
If we applied the same guidelines for what constitutes theology to paganism as we do to Christianity, Aurelius' Mediations would be considered theology.
>>
>>1688508
>Ω πόσο θα μου λείψει αυτό το πληβείο
At least next time try to use something other than google translate

>when Aquinas makes the same argument, it's called "theology"?
I don't think many people believe that's theology

In any case though, the reason why pagan philosophy is more accepted, is because it comes down to rational thinking, instead of mostly just quoting a book.
>>
That Christcuck victim complex is amazing. You are the negroids of religion.
>>
>>1688892
>>1688669
>>
>>1688901
any abrahamic religion, for this matter
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.