[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does taxation effect the growth of a populous? Early taxes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: revolt.jpg (577KB, 1424x1120px) Image search: [Google]
revolt.jpg
577KB, 1424x1120px
How does taxation effect the growth of a populous? Early taxes in feudal britain seemed to be put in place a good while after roman occupation, so why did it take so long for the lords and kings to adopt taxes as a system of income?

Are there any big examples of succeful states and countries that got to where they were without tax?
>>
>>1686656
Well I hate to be one of these guys but how do you define taxation.
>>
>>1686656
>>1686703
By taxation you probably mean permanent tax imposed by the state on the population.

That's a good question actually, I would say that you need a good bureaucracy and administration to collect it effectively, things that disappeared after the fall of the roman empire. After that, most of the time, you would raise taxes when needed, like before going to war and such. Keep in mind that most countries didn't have a permanent armies during middle ages

>Are there any big examples of succeful states and countries that got to where they were without tax?

I don't have any in mind, given that most states became most efficient precisely when they became able to collect taxes and use this money to maintain a military at all times
>>
>>1686656
the effects of taxation have always been the same. they reduce population growth because subsistence farming barely meted a surplus.

taxes took a long time to implement because taxation of lands outside your immediate domain would be met with violence, because people are starving, and because taxes typically feed the tax collectors, and not the king himself.

/basicbitch/
>>
>>1687273
Also have to account for the fact that coins left the economy for awhile it much harder to collect taxes in kind
>>
>>1686703
Legalised theft

:^)
>>
>>1687322
We all commit crime, simply by paying tax.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.