[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm suddenly interested in war tactics but I want to ask

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: ancient war.jpg (72KB, 550x329px) Image search: [Google]
ancient war.jpg
72KB, 550x329px
I'm suddenly interested in war tactics but I want to ask for suggestions about good sources where I can learn more about them...

What are some good books, movies, maybe games, etc. that you can recommend me?

Thanks.
>>
Could you specify which period of war you'd like to know more about?
>>
You only need to know one thing: If you kill your enemies, they win
>>
>>1685479

I'm not too much into this so I don't really know where to start... What time period should I investigate first?
>>
>>1685482
Art of War

I can't think of a good metaphor relating to its usefulness, so I'll go cliche

Worth its weight in gold
>>
>>1685508
Ive never read the art of war, but I have to assume its more relevant to an Asian historian?
Not OP btw.
>>
>>1685512
It's relevant to everything

the man was a genius
>>
>>1685512
Just read Clausewitz "On War" if you want something concrete.
>>
>>1685512
It's just a basics manual, you'll spend most of the book thinking "that was fucking obvious Sun Tzu". Until you realize how old the book is. I'm sure other cultures produced similar works but we don't have them.
>>
File: Ha.jpg (54KB, 491x384px) Image search: [Google]
Ha.jpg
54KB, 491x384px
>>1685480
Well done matey
>>
Not OP but I'll rather use thia thread than make one for a simple question.

Has someone on /his/ read the Strategikon of Maurice? Is it an interesting source only for those interested on late roman/byzantine period or is it a more flexible strategy manual overall useful for other periods?
>>
Learn to play chess
>>
>>1685477
If you're looking for games play the TotalWar franchise
>>
>>1685549
play it with ur wifey
>>
>>1685477
The Top Ten Military Classics

1. Clausewitz, Carl von. On War.

2. Corbett, Julian Stafford. Some Principles of Maritime Strategy.

3. Delbruck, Hans. History of the Art of War Within the Framework of Political History.

4. Douhet, Giulio. The Command of the Air.

5. Du Picq, Ardant. Battle Studies.

6. Jomini, Antoine Henri. The Art of War.

7. Machiavelli, Niccolo. The Art of War.

8. Mahan, Alfred Thayer. The Influence of Sea Power Upon History 1660-1783.

9. Sun Tzu. The Art of War.

10. Thucydides. The Peloponnesian War.
>>
>>1685477
go and watch rugby, imagine those guys wearing a shield and a sword/axe/club and voila you've got early medieval shieldwall combat
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.