[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was that chick from I love Lucy marrying a Cuban considered controversial

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: 1473549814363.jpg (22KB, 281x285px) Image search: [Google]
1473549814363.jpg
22KB, 281x285px
Was that chick from I love Lucy marrying a Cuban considered controversial in the 1950s?
>>
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/3pefog/was_there_any_backlash_against_lucy_and_and_desi/
>>
Germans and Scandinavians were considered non-white

People were retarded
>>
>>1678941
>Germans and Scandinavians were considered non-white

You mean we were wise once.
>>
File: 6356098185_956e0c0d75_b.jpg (215KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
6356098185_956e0c0d75_b.jpg
215KB, 1024x683px
>>1678939

>/r/askhistorians
>>
File: penn_jillette.jpg (31KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
penn_jillette.jpg
31KB, 300x400px
>>1678939
>You see, race is a social construct,
>>
>>1678950
I bet you're anglo scum
>>
>>1678939
That's basically the impression I got from hearing about it from old people. The idea of Lucy being married to a Cuban wasn't exactly popular, but he was likable enough that no one cared after the show took off. I'm sure some people were boycotting the show and talking about how it meant the destruction of the white race, but most of the country was okay with Desi because of his charisma.
>>
File: Hello Askhistorians.jpg (140KB, 1092x1936px) Image search: [Google]
Hello Askhistorians.jpg
140KB, 1092x1936px
>>1678952
Ignore that, read the rest if it makes you feel better.

>>1678951
yes?

>>1678956
no
>>
>>1678952
Stopped reading here. Even it it was, saying so was completely fucking irrelevant to the question.
>>
>>1678929
>That chick from I Love Lucy

You mean... Lucy? Lucielle Ball.

And it wasnt that big of an issue because he was her real life husband and Desi Arnaz was actually pretty well liked.
>>
File: Censored.png (94KB, 965x811px) Image search: [Google]
Censored.png
94KB, 965x811px
Redacted to protect the fragile sensibilities of people who dislike wrongbad words and can't stand seeing ideas they don't like.
>>
>>1678979
>completely fucking irrelevant to the question.

How? The question is about how a Cuban person was received in America. To answer that question, it's reasonable to discuss how race is viewed in Cuba and how that would translate to how Desi acted in the US. Because in Cuba, Desi was seen as incredibly white and lived a had a very privileged upbringing. As such, he carried himself like any other white person, and lots of people in the US were willing the view him as somewhat white because he was essentially Spanish.
>>
>>1679010
Nothing you said proved that race was a social construct or how it was relevant.
>>
>>1679020
Arnaz's race was seen differently in Cuba than it would have been America. If would have grown up in America, he probably would have been a random beaner, but in Cuba, he was at the tp of the social ladder because he came from a rich Spanish family. When he came to the US, he was able to take advantage of that and play up his Spanish ancestry to seem less ethnic and threatening to mainstream America. I've asked my grandparents about it, and they're people who think Italians aren't white; they said Desi was different from other Latinos because he was basically white.
>>
White is a concept invented by british descent people of early America. To separate our selves from the Eurotrash that came in later.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.