[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello, I'm Sam Harris. A young man told me that, that uh,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: I am Sam Sam I am.jpg (104KB, 898x893px) Image search: [Google]
I am Sam Sam I am.jpg
104KB, 898x893px
Hello, I'm Sam Harris. A young man told me that, that uh, hm, that you (break) believed in free will so.. I'd love to hear your arguments for this.
>>
As a Sam Harris fanboy let me say that you sound like a faggot.
>>
>>1669032
God has granted us free will. You're an edgy little faggot who says he doesn't believe in God.

So we'll just leave it here.
>>
>>1669042
that's how he TALKS
>>
>>1669045
but how? god granted us a soul that defines us right? wouldn't that determine what choices we make? Wouldn't a just soul have weighted dice to do the right thing?
Or if the soul is a blank slate, it's an obvious conclusion that environment shapes you, so the place you were born dictates what choices you make. And how do you explain that brain scans pretty conclusively indicate that our brain makes our decision well before our consciousness does?
>>
>>1669042
Sam Harris fanboy here too, why does /lit/ and /his/ hate Sam so much I really like his stuff.
>>1669045
>God creates us with free will
>punishes us with eternal damnation if we use it
>>
Sam Harris is based, one of the best intellectuals/philosophers of our time.
>>
>>1669068
What's that? There is information to sift through and choices to make?

Why, I never.
>>
>>1669200
>>God creates us with free will
>>punishes us with eternal damnation if we are born dead, stay dead, and reject the death of the Son of God to redeem us.
>>
>>1669208
>>1669208
How are you not getting the point I made?
>>
>>1669213
was jesus the biggest failure in human existance?
>Go from God's realm to earth to save man's souls
>only able to save the ones that become best friends with me
>cant go back
>doomed hundred of billions of lives to eternal damnation
This feels like the plot to a futurama episode.
>>
>>1669246
Because I am well grounded in reality, and understand that there are a number of factors people must deal with in order to properly exercise their free will.

The first is knowing you have choices to make.

The second is knowing what the available options are.

The third is conducting a cost-benefit analysis to see what is in your best interests; and

The fourth is making the right decision.

Here's I'll tear apart your quote so you can see what I mean:

>but how?
God created us as free will moral agents for the express purpose of either choosing to live with God or choosing to be apart from God forever. His highest ideal is love, and love given freely. Hence no coercion on His part.

>god granted us a soul that defines us right?
You are what you call your soul. Your soul is wearing a body right now. When this body dies, you will get a new body. You will still be you.

>wouldn't that determine what choices we make?
Your soul chooses; the Hebrew word for soul/will/ego/etc. is what we mean when we say heart. Your heart chooses God, or rejects God, based on the information you have.

>Wouldn't a just soul have weighted dice to do the right thing?
Most people do not do the right thing, so no, the soul is not weighted to do the right thing, but the thing the person wants it to do. And as we are wicked people, with wicked hearts, the soul usually chooses wickedness.

>Or if the soul is a blank slate, it's an obvious conclusion that environment shapes you, so the place you were born dictates what choices you make.
Not dictates, influences. You are a sovereign entity and can choose things based on any criteria you'd like.

>And how do you explain that brain scans pretty conclusively indicate that our brain makes our decision well before our consciousness does?
That still means our brain is making the decision, on an unconscious or subconscious level, not that we're not making the decision ourselves.

Free will is not a super power.
>>
>>1669280
Let's see. Jesus defeated death, the grave, and will rule the world forever.

Does that sound like a loser to you?

Your part in what He is doing is to either be on His side, for Him, or against Him on the devil's side.

The biggest loser is obviously the devil, who tried to stage a coup in heaven that lasted one heartbeat and ends in a a lake of fire.
>>
>>1669299
what a humble and loving god.
>>
>>1669321
He is, actually.

But you don't really care about Him very much, now, do you.
>>
>>1669341
Why would it matter if i care about him. If he loves me so much then i should be ensured heaven just out of his love for me.
>>
>>1669296
Most people do not do the right thing, so no, the soul is not weighted to do the right thing,
No, but most people have TRAITS. Traits WEIGH your actions in a certain direction. you are not in control of what traits you have. totally missed the point there
>not dictates, influences
no, dictates. What other influences are there, assuming we are blank slates at birth, and not genetically predisposed to certain actions
>>1669296
>That still means our brain is making the decision, on an unconscious or subconscious level, not that we're not making the decision ourselves.
not what the majority of people would call the self. It suggests that the consciousness is just a cog in an entirely chemical process and more than anything rationalizes the decisions that we instinctively make, not by choice, but because of predisposition.
>>
>>1669213
lol literally how can you say things like that unironically?

I was born dead and am dead because I'm rejecting the death of the son of God because I learned science and this just sounds retarded.

I don't know how I get the idea that things sound retarded or not. You're saying God gives me that feeling? Well that's weird then. Why do I have the feeling that it's retarded? I think it comes from physics. But I didn't make physics. For anyone made it, that would be God. And if it's not physics, then it's definitely gotta be God. In any case, God is always responsible for my feeling like this is retarded.

Except the actual reason it feels that way is just that it is retarded.
>>
>>1669341
>>1669299
The world is literally full of trolls who don't know that that's their part.

Just listen to the hilarious things you're doing dude. And then pay attention to your mind. Notice how free it is of unexplained sensations.
>>
>>1669373
wow, this post was written really incompetently, sorry about that.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.