[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Solipsism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 1466526168183.jpg (34KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1466526168183.jpg
34KB, 640x480px
>hurr i can prove i exist
>i can't prove others exist
>therefore only i exist, as far as i am concerned
What a crock of shit. You can't possibly take comfort in this garbage, right?
>>
People grow out of it eventually. Here is a refuation of it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_is_one_hand#Introduction
>>
>>1664636
That doesn't seem to be so much of a refutation of it so much as a denial of it. regardless solipsism is a pointless mental exercise that is best left ignored
>>
>>1664612
Even if you can't take comfort in it, who says comfort has value? What if you don't value comfort?
>>
>>1664867
Every philosophy can provide comfort, and you can pick any philosophy you want. Belief is a choice. Your beliefs can be comforting, like a religion (although I would argue that many religions are not intended to be comforting at all). Your beliefs can be useful, like an induction based on statistical evidence. They can be both comforting and useful, like science.

Solipsism is neither comforting nor useful. It is a philosophy without value.

So if you don't value comfort, fine. But you won't find anything of value in solipsism.
>inb4 "what if i don't value value over non-value"
>>
>>1664612
whether or not you take comfort in it is irrelevent next to the fact it is so thus relevent

DSM and a multibillion dollar pseudo societal enslavement agenda rides on the back of it being contra so so whatever, you make money in the margins as a whole, from an inheretently infinitely exploitable collectivist standpoint
>>
File: 1471153970372.jpg (76KB, 750x516px) Image search: [Google]
1471153970372.jpg
76KB, 750x516px
>>1665461
>>
>>1664612
But you haven't disproved or criticized it, you just called it names and used the word "hurr durr".

You may be mentally chalenged. I see it must be a nightmare to contemplate the idea that only YOU exist.
>>
What does comfort have to do with truth?

Occam's razor makes solipsism the most reasonable theory.
>>
>>1665586
smoke pot and be an individual, sassygirl
>>
>>1665623
it's a stupid fucking idea. it is difficult to criticize in any detail because it lacks any substance

if i choose to call my perception of the universe "evidence" of the existence of a physical universe, i can logically induce further truths about the universe.

if I choose to ignore reality because there is a possibility that reality does not exist, or exists differently than i perceive it, i have not reached any sort of enlightenment. I have reached arrested development.

>>1665654
not really, no.
If you mean solipsism makes the fewest assumptions, then yes, it is the simplest. But the conclusion of solipsism (that only you definitely exist) contradicts with the heaps of statistical evidence that the universe separate from you also exists. Therefore, believing in solipsism requires you to make an additional assumption, that logical induction is horseshit and therefore, "fuck you, you can't know nuffin".
>>
>>1665702
>defending statistics AND induction
>>
>>1665702
The assumption that induction is valid is a leap of faith, by default you should assume it isn't.
>>
>>1664612
Maybe you can take comfort in it , as a sort of escapism.
My Interpenetration still stands that even if you believe in Solipsism , other people created by your own mind can still end or ruin your life and that you have to abide by the rules that your mind has created for itself.
What I'm trying to say is that whether you believe in it or not is irrelevant because you are still Subdued to the rules of society even if it doesn't exist in your mind
>>
>>1665807
if you don't want to use statistics and induction then go live in a cave and stop benefitting from all the technology created using statistics (like all failure engineering for instance) and made under the assumption that the laws of physics we've observed for human recorded history won't change when the sun rises tomorrow.

then kill yourself, retard
>>
>>1664612

Some quality spooks he's got there
>>
I have yet to hear a decent rebuttal OP.
>>
>>1667754
Because he doesn't have one. He's angry because a solipist banged his mum or something
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.