[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a question - were there any symbols associated with bastardry

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 9

File: 1468487747084.jpg (2MB, 1493x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1468487747084.jpg
2MB, 1493x3000px
I have a question - were there any symbols associated with bastardry that a legitimized noble bastard was required or frequently did take as part of his personal coat of arms?
>>
>>1660427
Arms don't work like that.
>>
>>1660427
/his/ isn't hte place to ask questions for your dnd campaign. delete this thread
>>
>>1660427

No. Bastards generally don't have arms, and if they do, they don't draw attention to their bastardry.
>>
>>1660601
He's asking an historically based question, nothing wrong with that whatever the reason. We don't exactly have a heraldry board.

>>1660604
>Bastards generally don't have arms
Yes and no. Where heirs and legit children were typically granted arms descending (depending on the era) from their armigerous parent's, bastards could have them deviate further.
>>
>>1660638
Was there any accepted pattern for a legitimized bastard to modify their arms, or was it on a case by case basis?
>>
>>1660784
All heraldy is case by case. It's a myth that there's a set meaning to particular blazons. Some times there were reasons for the blazon aspects, but not always.
>>
>>1660847
I appreciate your help, thanks.
>>
File: 25FIL-22-4.jpg (155KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
25FIL-22-4.jpg
155KB, 600x400px
>>1660427
Pic related, these bars in the middle of the shield (with various colors and patterns) were used in English and French heraldry to signal illegitimate birth.
>>
Jean, comte de Dunois - bastard son of Louis, duc d'Orleans
>>
Antoine, grand batard de Bourgogne - illegitimate son of Philippe, duc de Bourgogne
>>
Henry Fitzroy, duke of Richmond - bastard son of Henry VIII, king of England
>>
>>1662925
Heh, sorry it wasn't much. It's a huge topic which can be quite interesting if you're into it. Worth checking out books on the topic.
>>
>>1663396
>>1663517
>>1663527
>>1663544
This was quite useful as well, and I appreciate your showing those.
>>
>>1663527
>tfw still no Burgundian kingdom in the low countries.
(And we should make a family coat of arms thread)
>>
>>1660427
Bar Sinister and Baton Sinister indicate bastardy in heraldic terms.
>>
Jean, batard de Luxembourg - illegitimate son of Waleran, comte de Saint-Pol
>>
Robert Stewart, earl of Orkney, bastard son of James V, king of Scots
>>
Charles Somerset, earl of Worcester - bastard son of Henry Beaufort, duke of Somerset
>>
File: 516px-Roger_de_Clarendon.svg.png (77KB, 516x599px) Image search: [Google]
516px-Roger_de_Clarendon.svg.png
77KB, 516x599px
sir Roger de Clarendon - bastard son of Edward, prince of Wales
>>
>>1660604
>>1660589

the baton sinister.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.