[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is 'manipulative' a pejorative? If I manipulate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: hmmm.png (35KB, 749x946px) Image search: [Google]
hmmm.png
35KB, 749x946px
Why is 'manipulative' a pejorative?

If I manipulate someone into being happy or achieving their goals then surely that's a good, likely altruistic thing.
>>
It implies you tricked someone into taking away their freedom temporarily by making them do what you want, and we all know how everybody gets about their freedoms.
>>
whats the point of this question

are you asking about the origins of the word
>>
1. Because odds are you don't manipulate people for good reasons. If it was that good you'd be able to just teach them and bring them closer to their goals without the need for manipulation.

2. Because manipulation is often used as a negative force to negate the freedom of someone for the benefit of the one doing the manipulating. There's a reason why all cultures and people hate it and why we are hardwired to some degree to spot it and avoid it. An altruistic action would not require manipulation to be done. And if it does? Then you really have to wonder how good it is.
>>
People hate the idea of someone taking advatantage of their emotional and mental weaknesses
>>
There's certain rhetorical tricks you can use that are hella effective, despite whether they're used to move people to the truth, or what you want them to believe. As someone who used to regularly debate everything on politics forums and whatnot, I can say they soured me to serious discussion.

Empty shit just proves too manipulative, no matter how you use it, while straight-up logic only influences so many people, especially since, "Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office than to serve and obey them."

As said by David Hume.
>>
>>1656266
Muh freedom, I bet you are an American. Fuck you obese and dumb American. Muh freedom, muh fast foods, muh guns, muh obesity, muh trucks, muh Bush, muh Trump, fuck you. We Germans people hate you.
>>
>>1656529
>T. Eternal Kraut
>>
>>1656239

Maybe
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.