[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In the past, was the difference between generations as noticeable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: disney_vs_felix.jpg (369KB, 700x820px) Image search: [Google]
disney_vs_felix.jpg
369KB, 700x820px
In the past, was the difference between generations as noticeable as it has been in the 20th and 21st century? Were 1870s kids vastly different from 1880s kids and did 1650s kids complain about 1670s kids? You know the whole line about how every generation hates the one after them and thinks they're the best generation ever.

I know Walt Disney was a huge 1890s fanboy despite being very young at the time.
>>
internet done fucked everything up, so much for bill "gates" lol jk im trolling
>>
>>1652732
no marketing didnt mean as much without mass distribution channels of post, morse, cars, telephone land lines, satelite, internet, economies of scale mass production of shit like smartphones and social networking etc etc
>>
>>1652750

But I know in the past that older generations still complained about how privileged and lazy newer ones were.
>>
>>1652768
dont covert what others have, it was probably worse if the average amount of excess scarcity per person is increasing due to technological etc intergration being greater than the sum of its parts
>>
>>1652732
>Walt Disney was a huge 1890s fanboy despite being very young at the time.

niqqa he was born in 1901

anyways, the Industrial Revolution really changed things, clothing and media could be mass produced cheaply so it allowed for more experimentation encouraged by the drive to improve and invent

in say the medieval era, hand-me-downs were the way of life, that's why Cinderella could wear her dead mother's gown and still be considered the most fashionable and well-dressed girl at the ball, there just wasn't the resources for everyone to have huge wardrobes and for every generation to have their own

the funny thing is that we are quickly descending into what I've been calling cultural stagnation, we've become so nostalgic and referential to previous decades

people want to live out the iconic moments from movies they grew up watching

around the early 2000's we kinda hit a brick wall with fashion in terms of reaching the apex of modern minimalism chic, all trends since then have been reworkings of previous decades

not to mention, all the movies being made are remakes and reboots

I think it was Alan Moore who said that this obsession with nostalgia is a sign of a culture close to collapse, but I see it more as that the rapidly changing trends sparked by the Industrial Revolution was itself a fad, a long running one, but not the way humans were before and not the way they will be

maybe once our technology becomes so sufficiently advanced it's indistinguishable from magic in another Industrial Revolution it will happen again, but for now we seem to have exhausted our imaginations

as a Romanticist I don't mind it, I think it's fun to cosplay as people from the past, if I could I'd wear elegant gowns and chitons as streetwear, maybe that's the logical next step for fashion, historical nostalgia
>>
>>1652901
>around the early 2000's we kinda hit a brick wall with fashion in terms of reaching the apex of modern minimalism chic, all trends since then have been reworkings of previous decades

I think the problem is our technological capacity for change has outstripped our ability to tolerate change on a cultural level. Basically we've run through all possible permutations of fashion that still make sense in our cultural context. Any further changes look silly to us or violate cultural taboos, so instead of exploring a bold new world of transparent loincloth patterns we cycle back to older patterns that still make sense.

Deep down we're still those same humans that thought Cinderella's dead mother's gown was still perfectly fashionable.
>>
>>1652901
Not quite, when some artist makes it big there are a lot of copycats. It just so happens that we don't have one as large as the other ones right now.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.