[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've never heard about the Holy Roman Empire until after

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 1465626539708.jpg (335KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1465626539708.jpg
335KB, 2048x1536px
I've never heard about the Holy Roman Empire until after I've finished school, nor have I heard about such figures as Isabella of Spain, Suleiman the Magnificent or Thomas Jefferson. My country's education was focused on itself so much, that we've studied very little of western history and none of eastern history at all - despite the fact that those figures literally shaped the world.

Anybody else /poor education/ here?
>>
What country?
>>
>>1652172
Russia.
>>
>>1652184

objectively speaking is the history of russia more interesting than the HRE Suleiman's Isabella's and TJ's combined
>>
I did most of my schooling in New Zealand. All they teach you about is the Treaty of Waitangi and the World Wars (and the World Wars is basically all just Gallipoli).
>>
Catholic school in New York

I feel like I got the essential bits from a western POV
>>
Most educations are like that.
>>
In America I learned about the Holocaust and how we started war with Japan to save the Chinese
>>
>>1652135
Well, to be fair, all countries focus mostly on their own histories. Good luck finding an American who knows who Peter the Great was. All they would most likely know would be Putin, Stalin and maybe Ivan the Terrible.

On the other hand, isn't it an amazing feeling to find out about all of these people, nations and events that you had absolutely no idea existed?
>>
>>1652500
>Good luck finding an American who knows who Peter the Great was.

I don't think my school was exceptional, but if anyone follows the textbook that I'm sure is more or less the same country wide, you'll have come across the guy if you were paying attention. I wouldn't blame the teacher for not coming across him if they were sticking to the curriculum.
>>
My education boiled down to: America good! Holocaust. Holocaust. Holocaust. Yay America saves the day yet again. Let's talk about Kennedy for a whole month. Yay globalism, we did it! We ended racism and war!
>>
In Northern Ireland I learned about the Egyptians then the battle of Hastings. Then it was Weimar Germany and the Holocaust and the Modern History of
IReland one leap frogging again and again interrupted for a second by the Russian Revolution then Holocaust to the finish.

Miserable.
>>
It's the same in all countries, they tend to romanticize their achievements and ignore the atrocities they committed.

>William of Orange was pure Dutch and didn't have a single drop of German blood
>Piet Heyn wasn't a thief he was a hero
>The Dutch East India Company did nothing wrong, the Indonesians should consider themselves lucky the Dutch were there
>>
File: baron290315.jpg (52KB, 536x275px) Image search: [Google]
baron290315.jpg
52KB, 536x275px
>>1652682
>>The Dutch East India Company did nothing wrong, the Indonesians should consider themselves lucky the Dutch were there
>implying it did
>>
>>1652135
I find that poor/countrycentric historical education tends to happen in Public Schooling.

Went to private in my end (Philippines) and we were taught pretty much the basic outline of Asian (read: East/South/Southeast Asian) History and """World"""" history (read: Western European/Middle Eastern/Russian/USA History)
>>
Don't blame your school, after all why spend time teaching about some irrelevant backwater clusterfuck called the
>Holy
>Roman
>Empire
>>
We jumped straight from the middle ages to the French Revolution.
>>
Surprised sudaca here, we learned most of western yuro history, they even mentioned the > > >. We have basically one year of it and one year of local history.
>>
>>1652135
We had only 3 years of world history, granted Bulgaria has existed since the 9th century, on and off.
>>
>>1652135
South Africa here. I remember suddenly realising in the final year of high school that I had no idea whatsoever what had happened to Greece in the time period between the fall of the Roman Empire and modern shithole Greece. Also had never heard of
> > >
If school was all I'd had to go on I would know basically nothing about East Asia except that there were some Dutch colonies there, literally nothing about India except that the British owned it at one stage, literally nothing about Mongolia, and, honestly, nothing about the world in general at all prior to the French Revolution. In terms of specific events and places at least. We had a primary school level education wrt things like feudalism, but that's about it.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.