[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would Chinese legendary strategists do if they led European

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

How would Chinese legendary strategists do if they led European armies? What if the Red Army was led by the Sleeping Dragon in WW2?
>>
>>1647758
>How would Chinese legendary strategists do if they led European armies?

Badly, owing to lack of a common language.

> What if the Red Army was led by the Sleeping Dragon in WW2?

I imagine it would take more than the length of the conflict to bring him up to speed on things like modern communications, the closer relation of industry on war, the sheer level of control of the state over the war economy and home front that simply didn't exist in his time, etc.
>>
>>1647758
War in East Asia and Europe was different cause of manpower and technologie.
>>
>>1647758
>Chinese legendary strategists
Are they actually legendary for military accomplishments? From what little I know these figures are just famous for writing about philosophy with a military theme. Machiavelli was literally an armchair general, but his Art of War at least reads far more practically than any of the Heaven's Gate/Earth Gate bullshit that comes out of the East.
>>
>>1648229

>From what little I know these figures are just famous for writing about philosophy with a military theme.

It's about 50/50. Some of them were quite proficient generals as well as writers, tohers just wrote. Someone like Guo Ziyi was deadly on the field.

> Machiavelli was literally an armchair general,

That's not true, actually, he held a command in the wars with Pisa. His contemporaries describe him as middling competence and extremely aggressive.
>>
>>1647758
Not Chinese, but Subotai and Genghis Khan understood maneuver and mobility better than anyone from their time period. Take for example the battles of Mohi and Liegnitz. The Mongols knew that an army was approaching from the north at Liegnitz to link up with the army at Mohi. Subotai sent Kaidu north to cut off this army and force a separation of the forces. This sort of maneuverability was something that Napoleon was lauded for and rarely seen again until WWII. I'd love to see Subotai lead a panzer army or something.

This is from Subotai the Valiant by Richard A Gabriel. Gabriel has been a professor at the US Army war college, the US Marine University and the Royal Military College of Canada.
>>
>>1648229
You are right about you knowing little part.
>>
>>1647758
Zhuge Liang was a failed military commander. Literally the only reason he was rehabilitated as a military strategist because a bunch of later dynasties needed to find some scholar-general obsessed with reconquering the north into a symbol to rally around.

There were plenty of actual accomplished Generals with understanding of tactics that still see use today, if only idiots like >>1648229 can realize phrases like "Heaven" aren't esoteric words but jargon with clear definitions.
>>
>>1648322
>Subotai and Genghis Khan understood maneuver and mobility better than anyone from their time period.
Isn't that more about them leading an extremely swift army rather than any greater understanding of tactics and strategy? The extremely horse centric mongol army was necessarily faster than more infantry based armies with their mule and oxen baggage trains.
>>
>>1648989
Partially, sure. But I'd make a point about how steppe empires came and went, but none became the scourge of God like the Mongols did. Sarmatians, Scythians, Parthians were all auxilleries. The Xiongnu were stopped, and so was Atilla. But few steppe leaders ever did what Genghis did, by using that speed and mobility to cut off your enemies from their supplies and allies. Maps of Mongol battles look like Hitler's battles of encirclement
>>
>>1649020
>But few steppe leaders ever did what Genghis did, by using that speed and mobility to cut off your enemies from their supplies and allies

But that's what they all did. It's not like he went off and trained the Mongols he united in special new tactics they'd never seen before, and many of his biggest enemies were well aware of those tactics having either fought or descended from steppe nomads themselves.
>>
>>1647758
Chinese strategists are jokes
>>
>>1649194

Rank them against other military traditions.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.