[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has modern neurology rendered the mental aspects of philosophy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 9

File: Caterina Sforza.jpg (310KB, 700x686px) Image search: [Google]
Caterina Sforza.jpg
310KB, 700x686px
Has modern neurology rendered the mental aspects of philosophy obsolete in the same way that modern astronomy renders theology obsolete?

Now that we know that the whole of the human mind consists of chemical reactions and electric wiring, philosophical notions of "the mind" seem pretty silly now, don't they?
>>
No.

I think you are neither versed in neurology or philosophy of mind.
>>
>>1647617
I would have "Sforzad" her "Caterina" if you know what I mean.
>>
You're a special kind of retard
>>
>>1647617

No, because unless you are a sociopath and want society and humankind to implode we still need laws and values to base this laws on, so that we can organise society to live in a somewhat harmonic way.
>>
>>1647617
Somewhat maybe? A lot of our behaviors are based on the need for survival but that doesn't really change the fact that we can still behave in different ways and alter our behavior.

Just cos we know why we value sex and food doesn't change that some of us wish to abstain because we believe in God, don't care in general, or go out of the way to embrace that.

I mean knowing how the brain works doesn't exactly answer "Why are we here?" or "What should we do?" now does it?
>>
File: image.jpg (35KB, 400x427px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35KB, 400x427px
>>1647617
>>>/sci/
>>
Neurology is not nearly advanced enough to completely replace things such as psychology and philosophy (sociology is garbage however), so they're still quite useful. It won't happen in our life times?

Eventually? Sure, probably. But until then it still works out quite well, provided of course philosophy adapts to reality.

Buddhist thought is getting some much needed attention for this very reason.
>>
File: fedora.jpg (41KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
fedora.jpg
41KB, 500x500px
>>1647621
>versed
>>
>>1647617
>STEMfag fedora thinks modern neurology is advanced enough to render anything obsolete
>implying philosophy is just "Muh brains"
>>
>>1647638
Reread OP's post.
>>
>>1647644
No u
>>
File: tip tip.jpg (170KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
tip tip.jpg
170KB, 1280x720px
>>1647617
Theology has not been rendered obsolete.
Neurology does nothing to explain what the causal relation is to specific stimuli and the transfer of information being coded for a certain chemical response.
There is nothing in Neurology that tells us why we see certain things as bad, all we Neurology does is tell us what happens when we see something as bad rather than something as good, it has absolutely zero explanation for why the information is taken in differently, at what point does a certain piece of information become a causal factor in chemical reactions, what would determine the information and why is there no material explanation for this method of determining (no, not a mental determining, a more inaccessible determining)?

"Chemical reactions and electric wiring" yea but none of that explains why certain patterns of information are taken in certain ways "we are wired that way" is not a legitimate answer, but its the only answer Neurology has been able to give when you break down the relation between the inner reactions and the stimulus of the outside world.
>seem pretty silly
>pic related
>>
>>1647617
>astronomy renders theology obsolete
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>1647617
neurology to philosophy like psychiatry is to psychology

whats more its not worth the non hemp its written on if ur not smoking fat bongs
>>
>>1647617
What philosophy of mind have you read, and why do you believe that neurology makes it obsolete?
>>
>>1647810
I think he meant to say astrology
>>
>>1647634
not him but this is /his/
fuck off
>>
>>1647617
Let's just say recent scientific discovery pushed us more towards philosophical materialism, but Marx predicted this already in the 19th century.
>>
Has modern subatomic particle theory rendered all aspects of all forms of education obsolete? After all, everything is made up out of these things, so it basically explains everything from psychology to waste disposal management, right? It's just particles applying fields to each other.
>>
>>1647617
>modern astronomy renders theology obsolete
Whose ass did you pull this out of?
>>
>>1648252
It was through astronomy that humanity discovered the universe's true origins, in the form of the Big Bang, instead of magical sky daddy.
>>
>>1647617

Yes, the mind has ceased to be best studied by philosophers and is now firmly part of science. Philosophers refuse to accept this, but they can be ignored here just as they were ignored when they tried to cling on to astronomy.
>>
>>1648637

hmmm...who's behind this post.
>>
>>1648637

Religion is concerned with more than just cosmology. It's certainly true that we don't need to consider what philosophers have to say about the origins of the universe, thanks to modern astronomy, but religion will be with us a while longer yet and really neuroscience has done more to detach religion from philosophy than astronomy has.
>>
>>1648243
>Has modern subatomic particle theory rendered all aspects of all forms of education obsolete

All forms of education based on primitive notions of the nature of matter, yes. Physics classes don't waste time with he ponderings of philosophers on the motions of the celestial bodies any more than biology classes waste time on creationism, science has in both areas swept philosophy into the dustbin of history.
>>
>>1648637
There is so much wrong here it's painful. First of all, the Big Bang was predicted by mathematical models way before we made any kind of objective measurements of background radiation or whatever that supports the theory with hard data. Second, "theology" is way WAY more involved than just explaining "the universe's true origins." In fact that's not even what theology is primarily about. Don't post if you don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>1648637
*overturns bowler hat*
>>
>>1648637
>le magical sky daddy meme
>>
>>1648694
Physics classes also don't waste time on the nature of matter at all. Shut up and calculate is a tried and tested tradition in physics circles my friend
>>
>>1648062
astrology is not "modern" at all and is not an alternative to theology

>>1648637
you are embarrassing
>>
>>1648750
>Physics classes also don't waste time on the nature of matter at all.

So what you're saying is, you've never taken a physics course?
>>
File: tt.jpg (82KB, 797x423px) Image search: [Google]
tt.jpg
82KB, 797x423px
>>1648765
Sounds like you misunderstood yours.
>>
>>1648781
>HURR

If your physics teacher never told you about neutrons and protons then he did a piss poor job.
>>
>>1648791
Did your professor engage the class in an in depth discussion on the ontology of the wave function? Bell's theorem? Or the interpretations of quantum mechanics? If not, then you didn't come close to addressing the nature of matter. Sorry
>>
>>1648812
>DURR

That wasn't the question, and the answer is yes, my highschool physics teacher loved to engage the class with tricksy theoretical ideas.
>>
>>1648694
Oh boy, we got an unironic positivist in the year 2016.
>>
>>1648822
>HERP

If you say so, moron. Btw, you're wrong, as usual.
>>
>>1648819
>That wasn't the question

What was the question?

>the answer is yes, my highschool physics teacher loved to engage the class with tricksy theoretical ideas

Then you should be aware these expressly philosophical problems have vexed physicists from the moment quantum theory was conceived and that they aren't even close to being solved. You should also be aware that most physicists don't consider them matters of concern, not because they aren't, but because there's a difference between physics and the philosophy of physics
>>
>>1648836

You're a fucking retard. Like seriously, it's not even funny how retarded you are.
>>
File: salvo.png (340KB, 393x447px) Image search: [Google]
salvo.png
340KB, 393x447px
>>1648839
On the contrary, it sounds to me like you have, at most, an elementary understanding of the physics AND philosophy involved here. Should probably stop projecting and go back to being an uninformed mong
>>
>>1648846

Seriously just stop, you've made enough of a fool of yourself already.
>>
File: wo.jpg (63KB, 400x366px) Image search: [Google]
wo.jpg
63KB, 400x366px
>>1648856
If getting the last word makes you feel better about completely revealing yourself as the ignoramus you are, then so be it. I'd suggest you probably stop posting until you've graduated high school, it's embarrassing
>>
>>1647617
You should read more on neurology, philosophy, astronomy, and theology before commenting on any of them.

>philosophical notions of "the mind"
What do you mean here? Explain, because it's impossible to respond to something as vague as this.

Overall though, the modern sciences have definitely rendered a wide majority of pre-Nietzsche philosophy and religion "silly" in comparison to what Nietzsche offered, whose philosophy was totally aligned with the future of science's endeavors.
>>
>>1648870
>DERP

Just stick to posting images, you'd seem like less of a moron that way.
>>
>>1647617
>>
Has Monism rendered all other fields of study obsolete?

Now that we know that the whole of the universe consists of the universe, philosophical notions of "objects" seem pretty silly now, don't they?
>>
>>1648637
While the "magical sky daddy" comment is retarded, this guy is generally correct otherwise... our understanding of energy in the universe, how the universe came to be and what happens to it, etc. makes the concept of a physical afterlife seem primitive.

It's more likely that the universe never ends, but repeats itself ad infinitum, changing but maintaining an equivalent level of energy throughout, like a spiral. There's no afterlife, there's just infinite life.
>>
>>1648916

Monism is one of the great missteps of philosophy, it's easy to posit a single substance for concepts such as the good or consciousness, but the science suggests the truth is way more complex, and looking for the single unifying concept behind these ideas seems to be a snipe hunt.
>>
>>1648916
Spinoza pls
>>
>>1648928
>physical afterlife
afterlife is not physical

>There's no afterlife, there's just infinite life.
for the universe maybe, not for humans
>>
>>1647617
>>
>>1648973
>afterlife is not physical
I'm commenting on the notion of a physical afterlife. I'm not concerned with other ideas. You can define the soul in any way you want.

>for the universe maybe, not for humans
Humans are within the universe. Everything within the universe receives this treatment.
>>
>>1647617
Actually, Process Philosophy a la Whitehead is getting pretty popular in Neurology.
>>
>>1647617
>the same way that modern astronomy renders theology obsolete?

MAXIMUM OVERTIPPING
>>
>>1647617

>the whole of the human mind

How do you know?
>>
>>1647825
>neurology to philosophy like psychiatry is to psychology

I have much more respect for psychology than psychiatry. Psychology looks at empirical data and repeatable experiments.

Psychiatrists are just paid shills for the drug companies.
>>
>>1647617
>in the same way that modern astronomy renders theology obsolete?
You mean not at all? Yeah.
>>
File: 1465175809559.gif (708KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1465175809559.gif
708KB, 320x240px
>>1647617
>>
>>1648948
Call me when science finds the existence of things outside of existence itself.

Oh right, you can't, because divisions between you and me are impossible, lel.
>>
>>1649640
>Call me when science finds the existence of things outside of existence itself.

Meaningless.

>Oh right, you can't, because divisions between you and me are impossible, lel.

Meaningless.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.