[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Need to die in battle to get into Valhalla or Folkvangr

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: mainpic_ck2_vikingmetal.jpg (253KB, 1476x816px) Image search: [Google]
mainpic_ck2_vikingmetal.jpg
253KB, 1476x816px
>Need to die in battle to get into Valhalla or Folkvangr

So what did they think would happen to the Nords who died of plague or old age?
>>
They didn't get to go to Valhalla.
>>
>>1639515
They went to hell
Their fault for not heroically dying while raiding unarmed peasants and monks
>>
>>1639515
They went to Hel
>>
So if someone is a real good warrior and just never gets defeated or dies in battle he gets shafted? That's bullshit.
>>
>>1639555
There was a good part and a bad part to Hel. The warriors who died of age or whatever would go to the good part.
>>
Valhöll or Fólkvangr = Chosen Warriors
Helheimr = people who die of Sickness or old age
Náströnd = Criminals
>>
>>1639673
What are each of these places like?
>>
>>1639515
Going to those places was a consolation prize for people who didn't end up in the family burial mound.
>>
>>1639690
I'd imagine that one was good, one was okay, and one sucked balls
>>
>>1639555

I don't remember where, and maybe I'm just mis-remembering, but I could have sworn reading somewhere in the Elder Edda that Freyja's attendant Valkries would kill superlative warriors to get them into Valhalla.
>>
File: dragon-daddy.jpg (100KB, 900x1400px) Image search: [Google]
dragon-daddy.jpg
100KB, 900x1400px
>>1639515
Similarly to the Aztecs, the Norse believed those who died inglorious and "normal" deaths - old age, plague - would go to a gloomy, but in most aspects, rather neutral, afterlife, where they'd while eternity away with their friends and family.
>>
>>1639555
It's alright, they could just prick themselves with a spear on their deathbed and they'd get into valhalla
>>
>>1640659
warriors
and
genetic
dominance
is
a
truth
in
this
world
all
nations
had
warriors
if
you
were
a
shit
warrior
you
failed
at
the
game
of
life
anyways
>>
>>1639515

You got sent somewhere else. It wasn't necessarily a bad place. Just kinda boring.
>>
>>1640639

>If you're such a good warrior that nobody can defeat you, a Valkryie will come down and kill you herself to make sure you end up in Valhalla.

But.....what if you defeat the Valkryie?
>>
>>1640739

I don't think that happens.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.