[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm very ignorant about religion. Specifically Christianity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 196
Thread images: 35

File: crucifix_2323570b.jpg (103KB, 620x387px) Image search: [Google]
crucifix_2323570b.jpg
103KB, 620x387px
I'm very ignorant about religion. Specifically Christianity and Catholicism. I know that's weird, nobody I ever grew up with was religious. I don't even know if I'm baptized. I really am quite interested in reading the Bible, but there are so many versions. I'd go to a church, but again there are so many different kinds. It's really quite confusing to me.

Can you who are Christian or Catholic post your stories or advice? I hope I don't come off as demeaning, I really am trying to learn.
>>
>>1630374
Catholics are Christians, anon.
>>
Do you live in a major city? If so, there should be, not just a church, but a cathedral; that's the seat of a bishop, who's a kind of higher-ranking priest. They in particular would be equipped to answer your questions, so give their office a call.

If you live in a smaller city, still consider calling your local Catholic church. They are there precisely to help people like you.

As for me, I would suggest you start by reading the Gospel of Matthew. It's where the New Testament begins.
>>
>>1630386
I know, but there still seems to be a difference. I mean not all Christians are Catholic right?

>>1630392
Want to call it a medium sized city. Lots of rural areas around though. I have more than a few bit Churches in town. They are beautiful, never been inside though.

Thanks for the suggestion. Just kind of shy about calling or going
>>
>>1630386
No they aren't
>>
>>1630417
muh b8
>>
>>1630409
No Christians are Catholic, and vice versa.
>>1630374
You should watch the videos of "Reformed Apologetics Ministries" omn YouTube.
>>
>>1630409
I recommend this website

http://www.protestanterrors.com/
>>
>>1630426
Keep in mind everything here fails at the starting gate. I'm a Protestant and i don't believe anything it alleges i believe. Either that or it argues Catholicism is true because of things that would be relevant only if Catholicism is true.
>>
>>1630420
If I was just interested in the "original" where would I go? I know that may sound dumb, but it's the best way i can put it.
>>
>>1630431
The Roman Catholic Church.
>>
>>1630431
Protestantism.
>>1630436
This is a lie.
>>
>>1630431
The original Christianity is extinct now, but Orthodox is probably the closest.
>>
>>1630446
Matthew 16:18
Christianity will never be extinct.
>>
>>1630431
Protestant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBD18rsVJHk

Catholic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lOwUrtNx_s

Orthodox: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noetoc2W4Pc

It's anyone's guess
>>
>>1630431
Orthodox is the closest one by far
>>
>>1630462
Bullshit
Protestant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY4DCG-nFBI
Catholic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRquPxdHNGE
Orthodox: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXpuCczALjQ
>>
>>1630482
The first one is only used in churches dominated by really old people. Also, organs are nearly always awful. Toccata and Fugue a rare exception (which wasn't even intended for organ). Not sure what the fixation on them is in churches

Allow me to correct the last one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOAtz8xWM0w
>>
just don't fall for the evangelical meme
>>
File: Prods1.png (671KB, 1750x1043px) Image search: [Google]
Prods1.png
671KB, 1750x1043px
>>1630504
>>
File: protestant 2016.png (691KB, 676x679px) Image search: [Google]
protestant 2016.png
691KB, 676x679px
>>1630482
>everything is sexist
But catholic churches don't allow women priest. I am confused
>>
File: 1468803775924.gif (3MB, 264x240px) Image search: [Google]
1468803775924.gif
3MB, 264x240px
>>1630506
>Mainline Protestant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bWHSpmXEJs
>>
>>1630508
It's a joke because Catholics have prominent feminist theologians, some even say it's sexist to refer to God exclusively as "he"
>>
>>1630506
Americans ruin everything
>>
>>1630506
This might have been true 20 yrs ago, but now "Mainline" is codeword for cucked beyond belief, and "Evangelical" is codeword for Zionist. Fundamentalism is where it's at.
>>
>>1630525
Fundamentalist and Evangelical heavily overlap.
>>
>>1630522
Still better that "lets allow women to be priest because it's 2015" to be honest.

t. ex anglican
>>
So do Orthodox and Catholicism share the same Bible or are they slightly different?
>>
>>1630525
evangelical and fundamentalist are basically synonymous
>>
>>1630528
Not really. Evangelicals are conservative nominals, Fundamentalists are the ones taking their faith seriously.
Unless you mean the believing evangelicals, which are the batshit fucktards waving signs.
>>
>>1630532
Not anymore
>>
>>1630531
Orthodox have some more books in the OT, but we had even when we were in Communion, it doesn't really matter. It's just due to Jerome's choice when translating the OT into Latin.

The Orthodox believe dogma is and only is what Christ taught personally to the Apostles. He never taught a Biblical canon, and therefore there is no dogmatic canon.
>>
>>1630542
Proof papists are full of shit when they claim everyone always accepted the deuterocanon.
>>
>>1630539
I mean fundamentalists are just the more right-wing and anti-evolution part of the evangelists. Fundamentalists aren't, in general, any less Zionist than the rest of the Evangelicals.
>>
>>1630544
Our canon is *larger* than the Catholic canon, and pretty much everyone does accept the Catholic canon of the OT at the least (those different have more). Even the Syriac Orthodox, who have a smaller *NT canon*, have an OT canon at least as big as the Catholic.

Really, though, canons aren't important so much as the doctrine they illustrate. There is nothing wrong, for instance, with the Protestant canon per se, except that they try to make it universal and dogmatic (which it isn't), and use the canon as a way to cut out doctrines they don't like. For instance, Luther, who made the Protestant OT canon also wanted to cut out James from the NT canon for saying works are important: this is not acceptable.
>>
>>1630552
>pretty much everyone
That is, anyone whose church or whatever you want to call it, is at least a thousand years old.
>>
>>1630545
I'm talking about things like the OPC. Evolution is stigmatized because of the liberalism associated with it, and Zionism is outright opposed because Jews are Christkillers.
>>
OP if you're interested in the history of Christianity and not just tenets and the differences between sects, I'll recommend you John Julius Norwich's The Popes, it's a very good and very easy and entertaining to read book that'll clear up a lot questions and doubts you might have. From there you can branch out into more specific and more academic/theological works that can answer more complex questions.
>>
>>1630506
How could he possibly benefit from reading scripture in Latin?
>>
>>1630552
Rome says the same thing about canon and Luther chose not to remove New Testament works. No one would have followed him in that, anyway.
>>
>>1630559
Don't do this.
>>
>>1630571
Rome is wrong, but so are the Protestants.

Luther couldn't remove them because he would have lost credibility, but he certainly had some very harsh words about James

>>1630570
Greek and Latin translations of the OT (both out of the original Hebrew, and independently done, Jerome preferring the Hebrew to the Greek because he felt it was more authentic) are much closer to each other than either is to the Masoretic text. Hence it is useful for textual criticism (the study of comparing multiple texts of something).

>>1630556
Ah, well "Fundamentalist" is generally used to mean taking the whole Bible literally. A lot of Evangelicals do that, you see.
>>
>>1630590
>Luther couldn't remove them because he would have lost credibility
I'm afraid you're decieving yourself if you think anything short of the hand of God could prevent Luther from doing something his conscience compelled him to.
>>
>>1630596
It's called Satan's Third Temptation.
>>
>>1630605
I fail to see the relevance
>>
>>1630650
Luther might not have feared losing his life when he was a celibate monk with massive lust issues, but after he actually had a wife and great power, he had stuff worth keeping.
>>
>>1630660
Your church is in desperate need of a Reformation
Pray a monk in Russia nails a document to a church door
>>
>>1630680
So we can be like the Church of Sweden or the Church of Denmark or the ELCA and have female priests and gay marriage? I don't think so.

Luther broke his monastic vows and eloped with a nun, he ain't no worthy monk.
>>
>>1630690
>So we can be like the Church of Sweden or the Church of Denmark or the ELCA and have female priests and gay marriage?
That's like if i said your clergyman are all KGB agents

Monks and nuns are found nowhere in scripture.
>>
>>1630697
No, it's not. Those are the three major Lutheran churches. Whereas the idea that our clergy is KGB is based one a single guy saying he saw "secret documents" saying our patriarch is KGB

Who cares whether they are in Scripture? Luther took a vow of celibacy. Scripture says it's okay to break such a vow?
>>
>>1630808
Scripture says you shouldn't make a vow at all.

>"Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not break your oath, but keep the oaths you have made to the Lord.' But I tell you, Do not swear at all: either by heaven, for it is God's throne; or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No ,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one" (Matthew 5:33-37).
>>
>>1630826
I don't think this is saying it's okay to break vows, it's in fact stressing how extremely serious it is to break a vow made to God, and that's why he's saying don't swear by God to back up your word.
>>
smoke pot
>>
>>1630808
>Those are the three major Lutheran churches
Which have departed from anything Lutheran or Protestant in all but name.

>Who cares whether they are in Scripture? Luther took a vow of celibacy. Scripture says it's okay to break such a vow?
It is better to marry than to burn with passion.
>>
File: 1426601513642.gif (966KB, 500x579px) Image search: [Google]
1426601513642.gif
966KB, 500x579px
>>1630374
>It's another thinly veiled Catholic vs Protestant thread that will get 200+ replies.
>>
>>1630857
Adding to this: monastic vows in Orthodox are just affirmations, they don't involve saying, "I swear," or any of that. I don't know how it works in Catholicism, but I imagine it's the same.

>>1630875
>Which have departed from anything Lutheran or Protestant in all but name.
Too bad Lutherans are so fractured that it's easy to do this. In Orthodoxy, as it is, bishops cannot depart from the faith, or else the other bishops will get together and remove them from office.

>It is better to marry than to burn with passion.
If you've already taken a vow of celibacy, of your own free will, coping with lust is something you have to overcome. If you are devoted to doing so (which you must have been to take the vows), you can. Monasteries are very conducive here to help you with it, since you don't see women and you pray hours at time.
>>
>>1630884
Wasn't she a Catholic in the series?
>>
>>1630891
>Too bad Lutherans are so fractured that it's easy to do this. In Orthodoxy, as it is, bishops cannot depart from the faith, or else the other bishops will get together and remove them from office.
Beliefs are not organisations. An organisation must affirm the beliefs of something to be worthy of it's name. The Church of Sweden, the Church of Denmark, and the ELCA have long ceased being worthy of the names Christian, Lutheran, or Protestant, and have rather earned the title anathema.

>If you've already taken a vow of celibacy, of your own free will, coping with lust is something you have to overcome. If you are devoted to doing so (which you must have been to take the vows), you can. Monasteries are very conducive here to help you with it, since you don't see women and you pray hours at time.
It's not like Luther was hunting for a wife. He explicitly intended to keep his vow until he fell in love with his wife.
>>
>>1630893
Dunno, haven't seen it in a long time.
>>
File: candle6.gif (74KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
candle6.gif
74KB, 200x200px
>>1630374
>I'd go to a church, but again there are so many different kinds.
There is the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church founded by Christ Himself, then you've got the ethnophyletist eastern schismatic churches who all call themselves "Orthodox" and finally 30000+ denominations which are all protestant. It's really that simple.

>>1630442
>This is a lie.
Study Church history.

>>1630462
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noetoc2W4Pc
Reminder that you can do this "Holy Fire" thing at home.
>>
>>1631039
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdXJzgtiM4E
I'm almost convinced Catholics are immune to intellectual honesty
>>
>>1630910
None of them would be that way were it not for Luther.

How did he fall in love with his life when she was also a monastic? And obviously in a different monastery?
>>
>>1631051
>it's not 33000, it's just a couple thousands, ok?!
>>
>>1631054
>None of them would be that way were it not for Luther.
(You)

>How did he fall in love with his life when she was also a monastic? And obviously in a different monastery?
She was with a number of other nuns who converted and fled to Wittenbürg for asylum.
>>
>>1631059
t. didn't watch the video
>>
>>1631069
Oh trust me, I won't.
>>
>>1631071
Enjoy being brainwashed.
>>
> I know that's weird, nobody I ever grew up with was religious

Not as weird as you think, growing up without religion is increasingly common in white western milennials. Both my parents were raised Christian but for some reason decided they wouldn't do the same for me all the while expecting that I would embrace Christian morality, I haven't.

Reading the Bible now tho.
>>
File: 1449997924597.jpg (2MB, 1821x3111px) Image search: [Google]
1449997924597.jpg
2MB, 1821x3111px
>>1631079
I know it's not literally 33000. The number of different protestant denominations that there are is still laughable, stop the mental gymnastics, you should feel embarrassed.

Matthew 12:30 and John 10:16.
>>
>>1631091
>Reading the Bible now
Make sure not to read it like it's just 1 book.
>>
>>1631097
How am I supposed to read it any differently to other books? I get that it's not all meant to be taken literally and that the historicity of it is sketchy at best.
>>
>>1631095
If by denomination you mean like Baptist or Presbyterian, the actual number is 21. Doctrinal divides of similar size within Roman Catholicism number at 16.
>>
>>1631095
they found 20,000 denominations in africa alone a few years back
it's probably more than 33 000
>>
>>1631117
You mean 20,000 churches
>>
>>1631117
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_in_Africa#Current_status

Lists 11,500 (persuasion unspecified) but that was in 1995
>>
File: 1461266909305.jpg (1MB, 3508x2480px) Image search: [Google]
1461266909305.jpg
1MB, 3508x2480px
>>1631106
>How am I supposed to read it any differently to other books?
The Holy Bible contains history, poetry, prophecy, wisdom, etc. It is not 1 book but rather a collection of 73.

>sketchy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_biblical_figures_identified_in_extra-biblical_sources

Also pic related.

>>1631109 (You)
>>
>>1631138
>73
66*
>>>1631109 (You) (You)
I accept your concession.
>>
>>1631141
>66
>>
File: 1461719266392.jpg (58KB, 500x407px) Image search: [Google]
1461719266392.jpg
58KB, 500x407px
>>1631106

Here is the deal.

Most Christians are lazy.

My girlfriend is Jewish and in Hebrew school they made her learn Hebrew to read the Torah in the language it is written. This applies to most Jews.

Muslims also learn the Quran in the language it was written.

To be fair, there are plenty of serious Christians who read the Bible in the language it was written. It was not English.

In particular there are translation nuances you only get from reading it in its original language.

Where Jesus says "Upon this rock I will build my Church."

Rock and Peter are spelled the same in Greek. Its play on words. Basically he is saying upon Peter I will build this Church. However, people in English read that differently.

Either way, if you want to be a serious Christian you should learn Greek and Hebrew like all the other religions do.

I mean people who refuse to learn a new language are just lazy when it comes to their immortal soul.
>>
>>1631148
>Rock and Peter are spelled the same in Greek. Its play on words.
this

And the Peshitta, which contains the sentence actually spoken by Christ, makes it much more obvious:

ctrl+f: ''0p0k'' or ''Keepa''
http://www.peshitta.org/pdf/Mattich16.pdf
>>
>>1630374
My adivce: read the Gospels, Ecclesiastes and Solomon's Song of Songs. Then realizes that belief is absurd and unquantifable, and do a leap of faith (ie read Kierkegaard) -- if you want more of a theoogical approach: St. Augistine, Aquinas.
>>
>>1631148
Why do catholics think Protestants can't deal with James 2 or something?
"Faith without works is like the sun without light or fire without heat"
-Theodore Beza
>>
>>1630374 (OP)
My advice: do not listen to this nu-male >>1631157
>>
File: Sanctus Paulus.jpg (142KB, 522x562px) Image search: [Google]
Sanctus Paulus.jpg
142KB, 522x562px
>>1631167
There is much more than James 2.

>He will render to each one according to his works: to those who by patience in well-doing seek for glory and honor and immortality, he will give eternal life.
Romans 2:6-7

>And so, my dear friends, just as you have always obeyed, not only when I was with you but even more now that I am absent, continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling.
Philippians 2:12

http://www.scripturecatholic.com/salvation.html
http://www.scripturecatholic.com/justification.html
>>
>>1630544
"And in the proverbs Solomon tells us that as "the north wind driveth away rain, so doth an angry countenance a backbiting tongue.(Prov. 25:23)" It sometimes happens that an arrow when it is aimed at a hard object rebounds upon the bowman, wounding the would-bewounder, and thus, the words are fulfilled, "they were turned aside like a deceitful bow," (Psalm 128:57) and in another passage: "whoso casteth a stone on high casteth it on his own head." (Sir. 27:25) Jerome, To Rusticus, Epistle 125, 19 (A.D. 404), in NPNF2, VI:251
>>
>>1631051

...Anonymous
09/01/16(Thu)10:15:03 No.1629955
>>1629937 #
A. "Your argument is ingenious, but you do not see THAT IT GOES AGAINST HOLY SCRIPTURE, which declares that even ignorance is not without sin. Hence it was that Job offered sacrifices for his sons, test, perchance, they had unwittingly sinned in thought. And if, when one is cutting wood, the axe-head flies from the handle and kills a man, the owner is[Num. 35:8] commanded to go to one of the cities of refuge and stay there until the high priest dies; that is to say, until he is redeemed by the Saviour's blood, either in the baptistery, or in penitence which is a copy of the grace of baptism, through the ineffable mercy of the Saviour, who[Ezek. 18:23] would not have any one perish, nor delights in the death of sinners, but would rather that they should be converted and live. C. It is surely strange justice to hold me guilty of a sin of error of which my conscience does not accuse itself. I am not aware that I have sinned, and am I to pay the penalty for an offence of which I am ignorant? What more can I do, if I sin voluntarily?
A. DO YOU EXPECT ME TO EXPLAIN THE PURPOSES AND PLANS OF GOD? THE BOOK OF WISDOM GIVES AN ANSWER TO YOUR FOOLISH QUESTION: [Sir 3:21] "LOOK NOT INTO THINGS ABOVE THEE, AND SEARCH NOT THINGS TOO MIGHTY FOR THEE." AND ELSEWHERE,[5] "Make not thyself overwise, and argue not more than is fitting." And in the same place, "In wisdom and simplicity of heart seek God." You will perhaps deny the authority of this book;" "Jerome, "Against the Pelagians, NPNF2, VI:464-5"
>>
>>1630571
"Yet the Holy Spirit in the thirty-ninth(9) psalm, while lamenting that all men walk in a vain show, and that they are subject to sins, speaks thus: "For all that every man walketh in the image."(Psalm 39:6) Also after David's time, in the reign of Solomon his son, we read a somewhat similar reference to the divine likeness. For in the book of Wisdom, which is inscribed with his name, Solomon says: "God created man to be immortal, and made him to be an image of his own eternity."(Wisdom 2:23) And again, about eleven hundred and eleven years afterwards, we read in the New Testament that men have not lost the image of God. For James, an apostle and brother of the Lord, whom I have mentioned above--that we may not be entangled in the snares of Origen--teaches us that man does possess God's image and likeness. For, after a somewhat discursive account of the human tongue, he has gone on to say of it: "It is an unruly evil ... therewith bless we God, even the Father and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God."(James 3:8-9) Paul, too, the "chosen vessel,"(Acts 9:15) who in his preaching has fully maintained the doctrine of the gospel, instructs us that man is made in the image and after the likeness of God. "A man," he says, "ought not to wear long hair, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God."(1 Cor. 11:7) He speaks of "the image" simply, but explains the nature of the likeness by the word "glory."

7. Instead of THE THREE PROOFS FROM HOLY SCRIPTURE which you said would satisfy you if I could produce them, BEHOLD I HAVE GIVEN YOU SEVEN"--- Jerome, Letter 51, 6, 7, NPNF2, VI:87-8
>>
>>1631181
I don't think you understood.
>>
>>1630431
A time machine so you could go back before it was hijacked by the Romans.
>>
>>1631225
what's it like in your mothers basement? does she know you've become a kaffir?
>>
File: image.jpg (304KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
304KB, 640x1136px
>>1631234
PROTNIGGERS CANT EVEN ANSWER ARGUGMENT

BTFO SO BAD THEY HAVE TO PEE AND SHIT IN THEIR MOMMY BASEMENT
>>
>>1630891
One of Luther's objections towards that sort of thing is people enter monastic living without knowing what they are getting into. It isn't for everyone.
>>
>>1631241
Nobody will answer your questions because everyone realized you won't listen to answers.
>>
>>1631234
>become a kaffir
wut
>>
File: image.jpg (201KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
201KB, 640x1136px
>>1631255
MORE LIKE YOU HAVE NONE

I AM DISPENSER OF TRUTH

WHICH IS CANCER TO PROTLIARS
>>
File: image.jpg (305KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
305KB, 640x1136px
>>1631255
CONFIRMED PROTTIE BTFO
>>
File: image.jpg (384KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
384KB, 1366x768px
>>1631255
STAY MAD YOU CANNOT FACE THE TRUTH

SAD MOTHER FUCKER
>>
File: image.jpg (194KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
194KB, 640x1136px
>>1631255
ANSWER THIS CANNIBAL
>>
>>1631256
He's Malaysian
>>
File: image.jpg (298KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
298KB, 640x1136px
>>1631249
LUTHER BTFO BY CLEMENT OF ROME ON SOLA FIDE
>>
>>1631273
How do you know?

>>1631266
>vodafone UK
>>
File: image.jpg (160KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
160KB, 640x1136px
>>1631273
PROTNIGGER SO MAD HE CANT OFFER ANY REBUTTAL AT ALL

NOT EVEN A SHITTY ONE!
>>
File: image.jpg (279KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
279KB, 640x1136px
>>1631278
PROTNIGGER BTFO BY IRENAEUS
>>
>>1631278
He did this on /pol/ once
>>
>>1631283
I'm Catholic, stop shitposting please, you're making Catholicism look stupid. This is not even arguing, it's just spamming and what was the point of posting this >>1631279 ?

>>1631288
>/pol/
>88
Link?
>>
File: image.jpg (178KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
178KB, 640x1136px
>>1631288
PROTSHIT SO SCARED HE CANT ANSWER ANY OF THE SOURCES I POSTED

NOT ONE

PROTTIELOSER BTFO
>>
File: image.jpg (175KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
175KB, 640x1136px
>>1631296
BUTTHURT PROTTIE CANNOT HANDLE THE TRUTH

ITT ALL PROTIES BTFO AND CANNOT ADDRESS ANY ONE OF MY SOURCES
>>
>>1631296
It was one of the Christian generals like a month ago.
>>
File: image.jpg (295KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
295KB, 640x1136px
>>1631296
DUMB PROT

YOU THINK SHOWING ACADEMIC SOURCES IS WRONG?

NO WONDER YOU ALL DENY SCIENCE
>>
File: image.jpg (217KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
217KB, 640x1136px
>>1631306
PROTNIGGER SO BUTTBLASTED THAT HIS STUPID CULT IS ILLEGITIMATE
>>
I bet OP is ready to convert to Christianity now.
>>
File: IMG_0183.jpg (60KB, 266x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0183.jpg
60KB, 266x400px
>>1631315
this

>>1631301
>>1631308
Stop shitposting like a proddy.
>>
>>1631319
ACADEMIC SOURCES SHITPOSTING?

WHAT A PRODDIE THING TO SAY
>>
File: image.jpg (169KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
169KB, 640x1136px
HAHAHA

NO PROTSHIT CAN REFUTE ME
>>
>>1630893
Yes
>>
>>1630884
I legitimately didn't know this would go on.
>>
>>1631319
Welcome to the board's resident insane Malaysian shitposter's antics.

Just point and laugh. There's no use engaging.
>>
>>1630386
Boy did this thread start out with some real shit.
>>
>>1630431

The bible.
>>
>>1632647
Probably because you have no arguments to engage him with, ayy
>>
Are you an adult? You'll find it hard to convert to such a laughable set of beliefs. You're better off looking at Buddhism or just ignoring religion entirely.
>>
File: 260px-Kierkegaard.jpg (16KB, 260x385px) Image search: [Google]
260px-Kierkegaard.jpg
16KB, 260x385px
>>1631170
what's bothering you, anon-kun uwu
>>
>>1632683
*tip*
>>
/r/Catholicism is very good if you want serious answers
>>
>>1632940
I feel people are smart enough here, but you won't have ALL THIS FUCKING ARGUING on reddit.
>>
>>1632940
Or /christian/ on that other chan which is full of Catholics.
>>
>>1633099
Didn't you get banned?
>>1632940
>>1634172
Yes, go back to leddít.
>>
Christfaggotry is the religion of turd world brown people.
>>
>>1634196
>>>/pol/
>>
File: 1469767717299.jpg (2MB, 1266x1259px) Image search: [Google]
1469767717299.jpg
2MB, 1266x1259px
>>1630374
Read it in your own way.
Don't conform yourself to a church. Figure out your own way to God, and then see if there's a church that conforms to your beliefs.
Personally, I do attend to church but I don't believe in confessing to a priest or the pope representing christianity. I pray daily and don't respect the cross as a christian symbol since it reminds me of how unacceptant the world was to Jesus Christ.
>>
>>1632659
Nah, I've patiently been over all of his little pictures four times.

I think four times is enough.
>>
>>1634208
>>1634186
>>
>>1634196
I see the future and it doesn't look good.
>The last bastions of Christianity are in Africa and increasingly being encroached on by Islamists.
>>
>>1634356
I've read about the future, and it looks awesome.
>>
>>1634277
>see if there's a church that conforms to your beliefs
proddies everyone
>>
File: The Cross.jpg (127KB, 1024x503px) Image search: [Google]
The Cross.jpg
127KB, 1024x503px
>>1634277
>>
>>1634403
You worship a cross?

kek

The first line of your pic is hilariously wrong.
>>
>>1630386
>polytheism
>Christianity

Pick one
>>
>>1630386

I don't know why you believe that, yet still use two different words to describe what you say are the same things.

In a Venn diagram, the overlap between Catholics and Christians would be a very small sliver.
>>
>>1630374
Greek Orthodoxy is probably the closest to early gentile Christianity since they preserve the language the New Covenant was originally written in but they were in communion with Rome for a thousand years before they split so between that time they shared and picked up many of the same customs that Protestants shun for being snobbish and elitist. Protestantism is basically an early modern attempt at restoration to the original ways.
The modern messianic movements are kind of spurious since they are trinitarian and the early Hebrew Christians were adoptionist and sometimes they may incorporate certain rabbinical customs which may be anachronistic to the time of Yeshua and the apostles.
If your looking for the denomination that's the most exotic and removed from all the other branches it's the Assyrian Church of the East. Oriental Orthodox churches such as the Coptic, Ethiopian, and Syriac are pretty unique as well.
>>
>>1630431
Eastern Orthodoxy.
>>
>>1634411
You have to be 18+ to post here.
>>
>>1631095
Someone call a doctor, she has three legs!
>>
>>1630420
>No Christians are Catholic, and vice versa
Nice meme.
>>
>>1630429
>I'm a Protestant and i don't believe anything it alleges i believe
And some Catholics support gay marriage, abortion, female clergy and Doctor-assisted suicide.

What matters is what the official stance is, not what a practitioner thinks.
>>
>>1634931
>>1634931
The practitioner's view is more important than the official consensus.
>>
>>1630522
>it's sexist to refer to God exclusively as "he"
Well, God doesn't really have a gender, we use "He" because that's how God revealed himself to us. Why? Because that's what God did.
>>
>>1634937
>The practitioner's view is more important than the official consensus
In what world?
>>
>>1634931
No, my point is everything on the site is a strawman. Literally no Protestant who understands the faith believes any of it.
>>
cool thread, this totally converted me to christianity, I'm super convinced now :DD :^)
>>
File: 382572365.png (32KB, 659x249px) Image search: [Google]
382572365.png
32KB, 659x249px
>>1630374
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Christianity

Read this first.

If you're going to read a bible the most "neutral" translation is probably an Oxford Study Bible, but really most popular translations will be okay. Note that Protestant bibles have fewer books in the Old Testament than Catholic or Orthodox bibles.

The Eastern Orthodox Church and the Catholic Church can both trace themselves back to the apostles. They're ancient institutions and both claim to be the one, true, original church. Protestantism is a newer movement that began about 500 years ago.
>>
>>1635322
>Note that Protestant bibles have fewer books in the Old Testament than Catholic or Orthodox bibles.

why?
>>
>>1635329
It's complicated and can be hard to get an unbiased view. To make a long story short the Catholic and Orthodox canons are based on the Septuagint, the Protestant bible is based on a later Hebrew canon, though there's more to it than that.
>>
>>1635398
Also it should be said that the Eastern Orthodox canon is more directly based on the Septuagint than the Catholic one.
>>
>>1630482
Dammit martin luther's at it again
>>
File: 1469979233768.jpg (257KB, 1102x892px) Image search: [Google]
1469979233768.jpg
257KB, 1102x892px
>>1634931
>Catholics support gay marriage, abortion, female clergy and Doctor-assisted suicide
They literally excommunicate themselves if they do.

In other words, they are NOT Catholics since they do NOT follow Catholic teaching.
>>
>>1636303
>The Catholics i don't like aren't really Catholic!!!
>>
>>1636303
But the Pope was for gay marriage
>inb4 some bumfucks you know that are Catholic have a higher ground than the Pope
>>
>>1636306
>shemales are real women!!!1

>>1636309 (You)
>>
>>1630374
This pbs documentary is pretty good.
https://youtu.be/gD2guEX9Jpg
https://youtu.be/hz3BLgCV-DQ

For a more in depth speed run you can try listening to some of these lectures.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrI5U0R293u9uveijefKyAA/videos
>>
>>1636303
No catholic can really follow true catholic teaching as laid down in the bible.
Could you stone to death a disobedient child?
Accept that it is okay to sell your daughter to slavery?
Man could not have a long hair?
Genocide is okay as long as it is not my people?

Everybody who has faith just picks and chooses what they believe in, as long as it does not rattle their faith.
>>
>>1636313
Can't handle reality?
>>
>>1630374
>christian or catholic
>implying you can be christian if you're not catholic
Bait thread
>>
>>1636387
>the mosaic law still applies to gentile Christians
Nice meme, you forgot to mention shellfish and mixed fabrics btw.

>>1636393
Go fap to traps.
>>
>>1636395
You accidentally included "not" in you're post
>>
>>1636395
The term Christian is commonly used by Protestants and people living in areas under their influence to distinguish them from Catholics.
>>
>>1636406
>you're
silly proddy boy
>>
File: z13.jpg (14KB, 275x353px) Image search: [Google]
z13.jpg
14KB, 275x353px
>>1636410
>It is very common today to hear Catholics call a Protestant “a Christian,” or even, “a good Christian.” In the United States, it was already a practice before Vatican II because of the tendency of American Catholics to accommodate Protestantism, whose tonus dominated the social and business spheres. Then, there was the question of adaptation as prominent Protestants joined the Catholic faith, or Catholics entered into marriages with Protestants. It was just easier to call everyone “Christian.” Supposedly it underplayed differences. It was meant to create the impression that Catholics and Protestants were cousins in one big, happy family. Pope Leo XIII condemned this tolerance toward Protestantism under the name of Americanism, the heresy of Americanism, to be more precise.

>After Vatican II, needless to say, the practice of calling Protestants Christians has snowballed, with the official conciliar documents assuming this same impropriety. Hence, the Holy See, Prelates and priests have made its use as widespread as possible. Accommodation to Protestantism in our days has reached such a point that some Catholics, to distinguish between Catholics and their Protestant “separated brethren,” call themselves Catholic Christians. A redundancy if I've ever heard one. Only Catholics can be true Christians. No one who dissents from the Roman Catholic Church can be a Christian. The terms are synonymous.

http://www.traditioninaction.org/religious/m013rpProtestantsChristians.html
>>
File: 14546654.gif (2MB, 526x226px) Image search: [Google]
14546654.gif
2MB, 526x226px
ITT; this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dgmgub8mHw
>>
>>1636428
>Catholics think if they call themselves Christian, that makes them Christian
Basically Transreligionism
>>
File: 351027670_c152df94e2_b.jpg (292KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
351027670_c152df94e2_b.jpg
292KB, 1024x683px
>>1636445
>Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.
Matthew 12:30

>And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
Matthew 16:18-19

>The one who hears you (Peter) hears me, and the one who rejects you rejects me, and the one who rejects me rejects Him who sent me.
Luke 10:16

>I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd.
John 10:14-16

>When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Feed my lambs.” He said to him a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Tend my sheep.” He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” and he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep.”
John 21:15-17
>>
>>1630374
Anon just grab any Bible you can get your hands on and study.

What will happen is that you will find yourself online as well studying throughout your time, you will find footnotes and translations and definitions of certain words which will eventually paint the broader picture, through faith you will get answers for all the questions you have and that's when it gets amazing. Truth, about the world, people, it will all come together slowly. On top of that you will fight for balance in your own life, with every challenge you'll face, it will look difficult, but when you pass it, it just feels amazing.

To know who God and Christ actually are as opposed to the world's view, it's astonishing to be honest.

When you realize that the standard is a lie, not even real, even corrupted, when you see this first hand and you're able to do the fundamental math, the base equation, it's astonishing to say the least. Life changing.

::::BE CAREFUL THOUGH::::

Avoid the debates, the judging, and the criticizing. It's all meant to stall you out and create enemies of people when otherwise there would be none.

It's so easy to fall for this specific trap though, so just keep your nose in the study.
>>
>>1630590
>Jerome preferring the Hebrew to the Greek because he felt it was more authentic

Funny, because the Torah the Jews used from back then was translated from Greek as they had destroyed their worn out Torahs.
>>
>>1631039
>Study Church history
Once you study church history you'll realize that the Roman Catholic Church is the schismatics one. Papal Supremacy is an innovation (among other innovations), encouraged by Satan, spread by conquest.
>through their fruits you shall know them.

Orthodox Christianity, through the Holy Spirit, is the Church established by the Apostles. If you're so steadfast in your Catholic ways, then you won't mind going to aneed Orthodox Monastery, talking to the Elder there, and hearing what he says and have him hear you. You'll see, then.
>>
>>1637230
I dunno about that

But I know Protestants are a laughable joke once I understand Church History

This is why I dropped out of seminary
>>
>>1634583
>before Rome split from the Church
FTFY
>>
File: >One >Catholic >Orthodox.png (1MB, 1200x2000px) Image search: [Google]
>One >Catholic >Orthodox.png
1MB, 1200x2000px
>>1637230
>Orthodox Christianity
...is a meme.

Remember the massacre of the Latins and the Council of Florence.

Also: >>1621952
>>
File: 1472785436857.jpg (186KB, 499x604px) Image search: [Google]
1472785436857.jpg
186KB, 499x604px
>mfw le orthodox is le true church
>>
Is there any reason to be a Catholic instead of Orthodox?
>>
>>1630431
Divisions between different Christian groups are based on who was the real "original". So there's no neutral answer
>>
>>1637245
Those are just Admin differences none of those Churches have different dogma or doctines.
>>
>>1632940
The shocked how good /r/catholicism is considering its reddit
>>
>>1637286
>Believe in primacy of Pope
>Not from Slavic or Greek background
>Like Thomism or St. Augustine (both of which are either played down or openly disliked in the East)
>>
>>1637245
The CoF is strictly a Roman Catholic meeting and not Ecumenical in any aspect, so "remembering" it does nothat do anything. The bargaining done in that gathering was not accepted by the Orthodox Church, and therefore nothing came of it. Roman Catholicism and it's innovations are heresy.
The massacre was strictly secular, as was the 1204 sack of Constantinople, a much greater crime by all accounts.
>>
>>1637286
Only if you worship the pope. No other reason.
>>
>>1637286
Only if you don't worship Putin. No other reason.
>>
>>1637414
You're not making any sense, child. Nice false analogy.
>>
Is there any historical evidence that Garden of Eden existed? Or it is just a metaphor?
>>
>Catholics
>Not heretics

http://shoebat.com/2014/06/05/catholic-priest-says-homosexuality-gift-god-bible-word-god-pope-francis-kisses-hand-praises/
>>
You can't go wrong with the Catholic RSV version. It's meant to be the scholarly translation but I've found it very easy to read. If you end up becoming a protestant I would still recommend the Catholic version since it includes the Deuterocanonical books. If you're unwilling to join a study group you need to get a study guide. The bible is a collection of very old books and they are very difficult to understand. If you try to go in alone and don't have any education in the historical context or Jewish literary tradition and even a background in the languages used it's going to be an irritating read.

With that said I always recommend the Gospels first. Matthew, John, Luke, and Mark. Then you can just jump into whatever. There's a variety of genres so whatever you're in the mood for you're covered. Be sure to read a summary of the books before starting.
>>
>>1638181
wew
>>
>>1638181
The thing with Catholicism is that it can't break apart on conservative/liberal lines like all the protestant groups have done (or are in the process of doing), because the whole point is that its one church (small schismatic groups on both the right and left aside). So you have very conservative Catholics in the same church as people who are basically mainline/liberal protestants from Irish/Italian families
>>
I'm starting to question if free will is real.

How sound is Calvinism?

Can an omnipotent omnibenevolent God exist without giving people free will, knowing that some are doomed and it isn't even their fault(because of the lack of free will)?
>>
>>1641466
>How sound is Calvinism?
Pants on head retarded.

>Can an omnipotent omnibenevolent God exist without giving people free will, knowing that some are doomed and it isn't even their fault(because of the lack of free will)?
The really weird thing about Calvanism is it basically undermines any need for the crucifiction, or the redemption of any of mankind. The whole thing is just a whim for god.
>>
>>1641476
so would you say that Christianity incompatible with a world without free will then?
>>
>>1641466
Dude...the thing is Calvin probably does believe in it if what that smart Reformed guy said is right.

According to his homeboy, Richard Muller, the whole Compatabilist strain of Reformed tradition seems to come in later(one of his articles on academia.edu deals with this)

I am currently reading the Unaccomodated Calvin by the same author. So far I am at the second chapter.

The first basically tells us how a lot of Calvin scholarship seems to project personal dogmatic biases upon him rather than to read him in his context and as he is.

So maybe the actual Calvin's view could very well be much different from "Calvinism" as we see today
Thread posts: 196
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.