[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /his/ think is the correct way to categorise the v

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: drawing1.png (8KB, 487x356px) Image search: [Google]
drawing1.png
8KB, 487x356px
What does /his/ think is the correct way to categorise the various academic disciplines?

>“Philosophy” is concerned principally with phenomena as experienced by the individual. Qualia, “feelings”, etc. fall into this domain. The purpose of philosophy is to somehow explore/articulate our understanding of these things. I will talk more later about what constitutes a thought discipline, methodologically speaking.
>“Mathematics” is concerned mainly with ideals as conceived of by the individual. Categories, sets, “objects,” and the relationships between them. If Philosophy talks about what happens as experience “enters” the individual, Mathematics talks categorically about what is the relationship between the resulting representations.
>Religion, which is principally concerned with the phenomena that can be experienced collectively. I want to be very specific in saying that I do not believe Religion operates when there are many individuals observing phenomena together. Rather, it requires ego loss – absorption into a group. In such a state, phenomena are experienced collectively. E.g. the group may experience a vision, a collective feeling (Glossolalia, shaking, singing, etc.), etc. The line between the individual and the group disappears…
>Science is interested in idealized conceptions that can be agreed upon by a collective entity. If Mathematics describes the relationships between phenomena as experienced once they are represented conceptually, Science describes the relationships between collective phenomena (things everyone can see, touch, taste, etc.) once they are represented conceptually. Just as Mathematics requires an ideal representation in order to express how the represented thing is related to other things, Science requires a representation (quantitative/systematic) to express how the represented thing is related to other things.

https://bigsleytheoaf.wordpress.com/2013/05/29/toward-a-structural-theory-of-thought-disciplines-part-2/
>>
>“Philosophy” is concerned principally with phenomena as experienced by the individual. Qualia, “feelings”, etc. fall into this domain. The purpose of philosophy is to somehow explore/articulate our understanding of these things. I will talk more later about what constitutes a thought discipline, methodologically speaking.

gotta stop you there lad. philosophy is concerned with living a good life. if it doesn't help with the art of living well, it's not philosophy.
>>
File: abide.jpg (150KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
abide.jpg
150KB, 640x640px
>>1629394
>>
>>1629404

>the original form and function of philosophy, rather than its degradation and isolation in contemporary ango-american academia, is an opinion
>>
>>1629426

The Greeks themselves had no consensus on what philosophy was or what it was for, eudaimonia is only one possible position.
>>
Philosophy encompasses all disciplines you retards. As soon as you start asking about the nature of any discipline or trying to define it or explain it, you're doing philosphy.
>>
>>1629387
The "correct" way is the one that works to accomplish your goal. So what is your goal in categorizing the disciplines?
>>
>>1629497
>So what is your goal in categorizing the disciplines?

Immortality of body and mind.
>>
>>1629534
And how does your categorization fit into this goal? What would be the next step?
>>
>>1629556

If I knew that I wouldn't be asking here would I?
>>
>>1629561
Why would you do something without a purpose for it in mind?
>>
>>1629598
in the same vein of that discussion; is self-learning for the sake of learning itself a futile cause? can one benefit from learning without having an application for the knowledge gained?

[spoiler]i want to learn as much as i can but with no goal in mind and i cant tell if im just soaking up meaningless info or not[/spoiler]
>>
All academic fields are done through collaboration you stupid fuck.
>>
>>1630302
You're learning for the sake of learning, that's your cause. If you are managing to learn, it's not futile. I bet that if you look deeper you will find a goal to it. What are you really trying to find; what lack is causing the want?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.