[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did Alexander and Diogenes REALLY meet and did Diogenes REALLY

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

Did Alexander and Diogenes REALLY meet and did Diogenes REALLY tell Alexander to step out of his sunlight?
>>
>>1627174
Yes.
>>
>>1627192
damn
>>
Probably not

Diogenes has a lot of stories attached to him
>>
>>1627174
Diogenes never even existed. He was invented hundreds of years after the fact to serve as a comedic foil to Plato and Socrates and their philosophical views.
>>
Chances are he existed but many of the duties a out him/Alexander us probably stories bright from Indian ascetics/Alexander interactions. Repurposed for Greek litigurgy.
>>
>>1627174
Why did Diogenes tell Alexander to set out of his sunlight?
>>
Muthafucka Plutarch SAID it happened.

You got beef with Plutarch?

Sheeeeeit.

>Plutarch provides a longer version of the story:

>Thereupon many statesmen and philosophers came to Alexander with their congratulations, and he expected that Diogenes of Sinope also, who was tarrying in Corinth, would do likewise. But since that philosopher took not the slightest notice of Alexander, and continued to enjoy his leisure in the suburb Craneion, Alexander went in person to see him; and he found him lying in the sun. Diogenes raised himself up a little when he saw so many people coming towards him, and fixed his eyes upon Alexander. And when that monarch addressed him with greetings, and asked if he wanted anything, "Yes," said Diogenes, "stand a little out of my sun."[7] It is said that Alexander was so struck by this, and admired so much the haughtiness and grandeur of the man who had nothing but scorn for him, that he said to his followers, who were laughing and jesting about the philosopher as they went away, "But truly, if I were not Alexander, I would be Diogenes."[8]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diogenes_and_Alexander#The_original_anecdote
>>
File: Diogenes.jpg (22KB, 250x350px) Image search: [Google]
Diogenes.jpg
22KB, 250x350px
>>1627174
I need you to step out of the sunlight, sir.
>>
>>1627220
but Diogenes and Plato have nothing in common
Not even Socrates was a hobo
>>
>>1627273

lel
>>
>>1627270
His works are long 300-400 years after that "interaction".

There's no beef with Plutarch, just that chances are the stories are most likely not about Diogenes/Alexander. Although they were both popular, the interactions between the two is purely made up or appropriated from other stories involving Alexanders/sage ascetics.

Calanus is one famous indian ascetics that Alexander actually met and conversed with. Chances are the story is about him/Alexander.
>>
>>1627284
This.

Also Plutarch's biographies are about morality more than accuracy.

I remember reading a story about when Alexander met an Indian ascetic.

He demanded the ascetic kneeled before him else he'd cut his head off.

The ascetic just said "cut off my head then, that won't affect me"
>>
>>1627266
Because this nigga was trying to get mad tanning for hellenic bitches
>>
>>1627220
>Diogenes never even existed.

There's circumstantial evidence that Diogenes indeed existed. Diogenes' father Hicesias (coin maker by trade) certainly existed, as evidenced by coins from Sinope which bear Hicesias' name. According to the traditional narrative, Diogenes became a hobo because his father was exiled from Sinope for fraud. This is again supported by the coinage which show evidence of debasement while under Hicesias' tenure.
>>
>>1627273
top kek
>>
>>1627174
It's impossible to know. All other responses in this thread are pointless.
>>
>>1627306
if Diogenes was getting bitches why did he need to masturbate in public?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.