[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>people use the term "immoral" when they mean "gross"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: immanuel-kant-russia-shot.jpg (81KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
immanuel-kant-russia-shot.jpg
81KB, 640x480px
>people use the term "immoral" when they mean "gross" or "unsettling", i.e. degeneracy
>most people's idea of "morality" relates to things like not having too much sex, not doing drugs or alcohol, etc., leaving one to question what moral system takes such personal matters into account

is the modern conception of morality really about creating a greater good, or is it simply a method of decreasing the amount of personally unsettling things in the world? certainly we can at least come to the conclusion that most people who talk about morality haven't read very much moral philosophy.
>>
>>1624820
Authoritarianism strongly correlates with disgust response. Not all moral systems exist to eliminate discomfort, but that is usually an important factor for the most vocal individuals.
>>
File: Juzzue.png (121KB, 668x577px) Image search: [Google]
Juzzue.png
121KB, 668x577px
> modern conception of morality
Morality was correlated with feel of disgust from the beginning of times, anon.
>>
>>1624820
How much restraint you exercise when it comes to things like sex, drugs and alcohol seems like it has more to do with how virtuous you are rather than how moral you are to me.
I don't know if that matches up with any proper definitions of virtue or morality that people use, I guess what I mean is it just seems like it relates more to how disciplined and responsible a person is, whereas I've always thought of morality as just being about not harming others primarily. Obviously those qualities would allow you to better fulfill any obligations you have to others and avoid harming them, but not having them doesn't really directly hurt anyone.
>>
>>1624820
>personally unsettling things in the world
Your question would be indefinitely answered if you could answer the question of nature.
Are unsettling things unsettling independent of themselves, or is it the unsettled that gives the unsettling its unsettling nature?
If the former then morality is a metaphysically tangible concept beyond man.
If the latter morality might stem from man but this doesn't explain why man seems to have an inherent moral structure, and I doubt an evolutionary explanation is sufficient, at most an evolutionary explanation would only tell us that we can access morality and it would take an irrational presupposition against morality to presume that morality grew in man absolutely rather than man grew into morality as in he became able to access morality as a thing itself.
It might depend upon platonism, to declare morals do or do not exist is to take a leap of faith, crazy how these specific instances can lead one to be skeptical of skepticism.
>>
>>1624831
Do immoral things disgust us, or do we declare disgusting things immoral?
How can we posses knowledge about this, in either direction?
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.