[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Watching Great Courses video on Aztecs >Scholar is this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: Ancient_aliens.png (150KB, 420x237px) Image search: [Google]
Ancient_aliens.png
150KB, 420x237px
>Watching Great Courses video on Aztecs
>Scholar is this fellow edwin barnhart
>Seems educated, good sourcing, huge breadth of knowledge
>Ph.D. University of Texas, runs tons of digs at maya sites everywhere
>35 episodes in he mentions his involvement in ancient aliens
>check imdb, hes been on like 5 episodes and tons of junky "2012" history channel scam shows

Why the fuck do legit scholars and professors get involved with these types of pseudoscience hacks? First season, sure I get it, they didnt know they were gonna be edited to look like fools. But at this point you gotta feel huge blowback from your peers for getting suckered in like this.
>>
>>1622578
m o n e y
>>
>>1622591
You really think that the History Channel is cutting big checks to professors for their 30 minute shows? If anything this type of shit would hurt your chances for grants authorized by boards of your peers, assuming you arent writing a pyrimidiot book yourself.
>>
>>1622578
because it's the truth...

And the truth will come out, no matter what.
>>
He's become a name guy/put his face out there.

Book publishers, readers, guest appearances in shows, etc. > peers

You have no business vision that's why you'll be poor and irrelevant whose books nobody will read /his/.

In all fairness you'll likely end up poor and irrelevant anyway.
>>
>>1622578
>he believes in the "science men" and "scholars" are moral beacons that can't be wrong meme
>>
>>1622610
irrelevant richfag (implying being relevant is a good thing), but yeah , if you think getting publishing deals as a professor makes you rich you need to look at actual professors who have been published, even with big book deals. I had plenty of professors with pedigrees and book deals to their name, and they were still driving to school in corollas.

>>1622615
Of course they can be wrong, and catastrophically so. But I dont understand why they would associate themselves with something that so clearly is on the current lunatic fringe.
>>
>>1622578
>Why the fuck do legit scholars and professors get involved with these types of pseudoscience hacks?
$$$$$
>>
>>1622599
>be me
>study paleontology
>spend most of the time with noodles in the mouth and eyes in the book
>end career, what now
>hc tells me he will give money for reading script
>wowfreemoney.jpg
>some of my peers start shunning me for my appearances
>dontcareimnotinalab24/7.gif
>still getting paid
>drive my mercedes through town
>feels good man
>>
>>1622626
>>1622578
Could it not simply be something that he does for entertainment? He indulges in some far fetched theory surrounding an area of history he's interested in? Or as the other guy says maybe he's doing it for money and awareness to his name.
>>
>>1622867
This is what I was thinking, what if he believed in the ancient aliens theory all along and that's the reason he took up archeology to begin with? Academia as an institution is dry, but the individuals can surprise you.
>>
>>1622909
I haven't seen the documentary so maybe he explicitly tells you that he believes this stuff in it, but if not maybe he just does it as a fun thought experiment but don't label it as the truth.
>>
>>1622867
Cunt
>>
File: 1417432464888.jpg (31KB, 528x297px) Image search: [Google]
1417432464888.jpg
31KB, 528x297px
>>1622926
you what now?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.