[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anybody have an insight to why the capital of the Roman empire

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: Screenshot_20160830-092458.png (204KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160830-092458.png
204KB, 720x1280px
Anybody have an insight to why the capital of the Roman empire changed a few times?
>>
>>1621574
The emperors would move sometimes
>>
>>1621574
Rome because ROMAN empire.
Tetrarchy meant four capitals (Milan, Trier, Sirmium, Nicomedia).
Constantine wanted to have a single one, but more central and more defensible than Rome, so he chose Byzantium, already a basically impregnable site due to geography and centuries of fortifications.
Ravenna because Milan had become too exposed to barbarian attack, so they chose a more defensible site while fortifying Rome.
Syracuse because Constans II wanted to move the capital back to Italy for symbolism, but Rome wasn't adequate anymore.
>>
Rome was too far from the Rhine-Danube frontier. Milan was closer to the frontier while still being located behind the Alps. Trier, Belgrade, and Nikomedia were located directly next to the frontiers. Ravenna was located next to the sea for easy access to reinforcements and was surrounded by swamps.Constantinople was easily defensible and was located on an important trade route. Syracuse was far from the frontier and was more adequate as a capital than Rome.
>>
Have you ever lived in a neighborhood full of niggers? it doesn't matter to what degree of civility you dine, niggers will break in and steal your things. They will see your nice, tidy house and think: "hmm maybe I should conduct myself in a civil and appropriate manor.." KEK of course they don't think like that. They will just smash your things because gibs me dat whitey. It is smarter to move into a protected gated community safe from black gangsters, yes?

Well the noble Romans had a snow nigger problem. It was much safer to relocate into a swampy, defensible city, than be constantly attacked by "gibs me dat".

Then imagine that the nigs break into your old house. They drink your champagne and sit on your sofa saying "we iz kangz now", "dis is ours now!". Cue- the dark age autism, where these nigs start to claim legitimacy over the house because the lord Harambe has bestowed blessings on them "cuz he die fo our sayns".

The whole thing is just turbo-autism, really.
>>
during the 3th century, the empire stopped being a "civilian servant empire" and become a military empire, whooever had biggest chunk of army controlled would usually become emperor, or get usurped by some other guy with more legions.
Constant new military threats meant that the emperor could not just sit in Rome, but had to lead his armies on various fronts.
So, eventually "imperial palace" would simply become "imperial military headquarters", and the HQ would be located in places where it was needed during those times.
Trier on Rhine front, Milan as general HQ for west, Nicomedeia as HQ versus Persian front and so on.
Byzantion was chosen partially as new capital because of its excellent defensive position and quick travel times to Persian front and Danube front.

Roma the city also had become a swollen hive of scum of villainy, large mobs and overall just crowded. Gone were the days of civilian republicanism, the empire existed to serve the needs of the Imperial Army.
>>
>>1622346

People say this about Ravenna all the time. What is interesting is how many times it is successfully attacked in the fifth century and later. Just go have a read.
>>
>>1622559
>3th
>>
>>1622566
It was only ever meant to be a temporary capital until Rome was readied for Honorius, but then Rome was sacked so it became permanent.
Sure a few swamps aren't much of a defense, but it's better than nothing.
>>
The capital was wherever the emperor decided to set up shop and do business.

Different emperors had different reasons to settle down in different places. But by the 4th century Rome as a city was largely irrelevant to the empire as a whole.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.