[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could anyone point me to any good sources of information on the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: download (1).jpg (13KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
13KB, 275x183px
Could anyone point me to any good sources of information on the fall of the roman empire
>>
Gibbon
>>
>>1618750
thanks
>>
>>1618714
Stefan Monlyeux
>>
JUST LOOK AROUND YOU DUDE, FUCKING SJW KEKS AND NO GOLD STANDARD IT'S THE END TIMES PRAISE JESUS HOOAH
>>
>>1618774
If you do read Gibbon be careful to take everything he says with a grain of salt. The art of historiography was in its infancy when he was writing and he was very biased.

If you want some more modern books, check out:
Adrian Goldsworthy, "The Fall of the West: The Slow Death of the Roman Superpower"
Bryan Ward Perkins, "The fall of Rome and the end of civilization"

That's assuming you meant the Western Roman Empire, if you're looking for information about the fall of the Eastern Roman Empire, then look at:

Steven Runciman, "The Fall of Constantinople 1453"
Michael Angold, "The Byzantine Empire, 1025–1204"
Jonathan Harris, "The End of Byzantium"
>>
>>1618832
thank you. i meant the west. appreciate it anon
>>
File: 1463622912975.png (21KB, 612x567px) Image search: [Google]
1463622912975.png
21KB, 612x567px
>>1618851
No problem, good luck with your reading anon
>>
>>1618868
fucking school projects kek
>>
>>1618714
Zosimus
Sidonius Apollonaris
Claudian
Orosius
Ammianus Marcellinus

>>1618832
Can confirm these. I have The Fall of the West on my bed side at home. A concise but excellent overview of the period that doesn't get bogged down with minutiae.
>>
https://mises.org/library/inflation-and-fall-roman-empire
the silver denarius introduced by Augustus at about 95 percent silver at the end of the 1st century BC. The denarius continued for the better part of two centuries as the basic medium of exchange in the empire.
By the time of Trajan in 117 AD, the denarius was only about 85 percent silver, down from Augustus's 95 percent. By the age of Marcus Aurelius, in 180, it was down to about 75 percent silver. In Septimius's time it had dropped to 60 percent, and Caracalla evened it off at 50/50.
Caracalla was assassinated in 217. There then followed an age that historians refer to as the Age of the Barrack Emperors, because throughout the 3rd century all the emperors were soldiers and all of them came to their power by military coups of one sort or another.
There were about 26 legitimate emperors in this century and only one of them died a natural death. The rest either died in battle or were assassinated, which was totally unprecedented in Roman history — with two exceptions: Nero, a suicide, and Caligula, assassinated earlier.
Caracalla had also debased the gold coinage. Under Augustus this circulated at 45 coins to a pound of gold. Caracalla made it 50 to a pound of gold. Within 20 years after him it was circulating at 72 to a pound of gold, reduced to 60 at the end of the century by Diocletian, only to be raised again to 72 by Constantine. So even the gold coinage was in fact inflated — debased.
But the real crisis came after Caracalla, between 258 and 275, in a period of intense civil war and foreign invasions. The emperors simply abandoned, for all practical purposes, a silver coinage. By 268 there was only 0.5 percent silver in the denarius.
Prices in this period rose in most parts of the empire by nearly 1,000 percent. The only people who were getting paid in gold were the barbarian troops hired by the emperors. The barbarians were so barbarous that they would only accept gold in payment for their services.
>>
File: Produoglobaldechumbo.jpg (63KB, 1024x532px) Image search: [Google]
Produoglobaldechumbo.jpg
63KB, 1024x532px
>>1618714
http://www.history.com/news/history-lists/8-reasons-why-rome-fell

1Invasions by Barbarian tribes
2Economic troubles and overreliance on slave labor
3The rise of the Eastern Empire
4Overexpansion and military overspending
5Government corruption and political instability
6The arrival of the Huns and the migration of the Barbarian tribes
7Christianity and the loss of traditional values
8Weakening of the Roman legions

They took a shit on the currency so hard they had to forfeit the west to stop the spread of inflation and start again fresh in the east, Byzantium.

http://money.visualcapitalist.com/currency-and-the-collapse-of-the-roman-empire/
really good infographic, outside the boundaries of 4chans resolution upload allowances

"Rome serves as a western warning that even mighty empires collapse"
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.