[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do some beliefs/philosophies/religions ring true for some

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 1463844928250.jpg (116KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1463844928250.jpg
116KB, 1280x720px
Why do some beliefs/philosophies/religions ring true for some people and flagrantly false for others?

For example, I remember rejecting Christianity (and all Abrahamic religions, for that matter) when I was around 13.

Fedora-memeing aside, the reason I did so was because it sounded ridiculous to me. I couldn't fool myself into partaking in the religion much like a very heterosexual man cannot fool himself into enjoying gay sex. We weren't compatible, simple as.

However, when I encountered eastern philosophical traditions and especially the more contemporary interpretations of them, I felt like I finally found something like a religion I could believe in. It clicked for me, and I'm precisely interested in the "why" of that.

Why does my intuition lean much more strongly in the direction of concepts like "instantaneous incarnation (i.e. you must assume a form of life as the absence of which cannot be experienced), the universe's inherent dualistic nature, the idea that you are universe experiencing itself, you are a node in the cosmic web", etc. rather than things like "heaven and hell, punishment for one's sins, an anthropomorphic fatherly figure as God who created man and everything else, Noah's Ark, miracles", etc.?

Why is it that I am magnetized in the direction of eastern thought and not (albeit quite old, not sure where we stand collectively now) western thought or otherwise? Has this phenomenon (if I can even call it that) been formally studied?
>>
anime posters make the dumbest threads
>>
>>1617655
Christianity on the whole is pretty far fetched, and only really designed for illiterate savages.
>>
Because you're a weeaboo.
>>
>>1617728
I haven't watch anime in 2 months now, though.

I still read manga though, albeit infrequently. There is nothing in my possession that would warrant calling me a weeb, excepting maybe my collection of onaholes.
>>
>>1617655
It's possible that eastern religious thought provides for your psychological needs better than western religious thought. This could be because genetics or any number of things I guess.
>>
>>1617655
>heterosexual man cannot fool himself into enjoying gay sex
Wew lad
>>
File: 1425897084655.jpg (266KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1425897084655.jpg
266KB, 600x600px
>>1617655
Because you were familiar with religion and not theology. If some chink were to find Augustine or Aquinas first without having gone to Church or done anything practical relating to Christianity he'd feel the same as you but for Christianity.

>fuck your Golden Week rituals mom, le Trinity is a better explanation of the world

something like this
>>
Religions reflect the character of the person, if they are a hateful bigot, they will be drawn toward arguments/mystcism/lifestyle that affirms their hatred. If they are generous and emphatic they will be influenced by philosophies that value those things.
If they value truth they will be able to discern between pathetic arguments versus rational arguments, if they just want to feel happy then they will go with whatever ideas bring them transcendental satisfaction.

Ultimately people will settle into whatever beliefs that their mind and emotions can handle best.
>>
Do you hate your family? Most people I know who rejected Christianity did it to spite their family.
>>
>>1617740
I bet theres a massive massive amount of anime that you haven't seen. Probably mostly shit that doesnt cater to pedophiles. You burnt out already? Typical /a/sshat didmt like anime in the first place
Dont call this man a weeb, hes just a creep
>>
>>1617805
the gatekeeping in this post is beyond pathetic
>>
>>1617655
blood genetics and environmental experience/history
>>
>>1617798
Nope, just didn't believe in it.
>>
>>1617655
I'm a lot like you, OP. I too lean more towards metaphysical truth than exoteric religious practices. I recommend looking into perennialism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-jodOB6vVQ
>>
>>1617798
You realize theres millions of "Christian" families that are basically culturally Christian and do have Faith but dont fuck with church or reading the Bible often? Not every christfag or even most christfag families have parents that would blow a gasket just cuz their kid doesnt Believe. Therefore, if said kid does turn out an athiest, its not really anything to do with their families.
Now if youre a lame middle classfag then yeah, probably most people you know are edgy contrarian faggots like that. Including you.
I went to church of my own free will at ages 11-13, alone, without my senpai because they stopped going years before. At age 13 after reading the good book front to back I decided it was clearly a very important and interesting book but not some historical thing. Ive been an athiest since then and love my folks.
Get lost, /pol/
>>
>>1617655
A lot of Eastern religions are glorified philosophical schools. Western Theology is more of an explanation, but many Eastern "religions" had to compete against each other to gain the favor of an emperor, or something along similar lines.

Basically, Eastern religions are closer to Western philosophy than Western Religion. Unless you're talking about pre-Confucian religions that had shit like sky dragons and Oracle bones. If you believe that shit you should fuck off.
>>
>>1617655
Because Christianity is desert garbage, and whatever eastern kool-aid you're drinking too is garbage, it just happens to be garbage you are fond of.
>>
>>1617655
Nature and nurture. Genetics, your health, environmental influences, etc.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.