[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's discuss the different denominations amongst modern

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 8

File: 493028289.jpg (25KB, 609x343px) Image search: [Google]
493028289.jpg
25KB, 609x343px
Let's discuss the different denominations amongst modern Judaism: Ultra-Orthodox, Modern Orthodox, Conservative, Reform, [spoiler]Reconstructionist[/spoiler]

Which are most interesting to you and which seems to be the most "correct" in that it's the closest to how ancient Israelites practiced it?
>>
File: whosjewingwho.jpg (251KB, 480x312px) Image search: [Google]
whosjewingwho.jpg
251KB, 480x312px
I think it's fascinating that the Haredi, some of which live in my city (London), hold regular protests burning the Israeli flag, holding banners referring to the country as 'Israel' and will tell anyone who listens that the country is a totally illegitimate and unworthy of Jewish support. They reject Zionism, sort of saying that the country Israel is a forced meme and a distraction for jews - who should be living a more religious lifestyle than trying to fiddle about with G-d's plan for the messiah's return.
>>
File: 83478312789173246.jpg (23KB, 352x245px) Image search: [Google]
83478312789173246.jpg
23KB, 352x245px
>>1615006

The Haredi that live in Israel also berate the government for trying to enlist their men into the government, a lot of them get away with "religious studies" to avoid mandatory military service.

https://youtu.be/me4FqdrmVBs

The Ultra Orthodox also have huge communites in Brooklyn in NYC, as well as a massive village upstate called Kiryas Joel that includes the highest amount of welfare-receivers than any other US town.

That town's current chief rabbi had this to say: "In April 2013, Teitelbaum denounced the proposed draft of Haredi men by the Israel Defense Forces as 'a decree worse than the annihilation of the Jewish people.'"
>>
>>1615006
>>1615046

To add to it, in my (admittedly anecdotal) dealings with them, most of them don't actually know Torah all that well. It's all focus on their own past rabbis and what they said.

>>1614981

OP, you're missing the Hasidim! How can you have a discussion of contemporary Judaic sectarian divide without the Hasidim? I once got punched by a Lubovicher, if anyone wants to hear the story.
>>
File: Proceed.jpg (53KB, 253x337px) Image search: [Google]
Proceed.jpg
53KB, 253x337px
>>1615077
>>
File: 32872507850789262.jpg (46KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
32872507850789262.jpg
46KB, 480x320px
>>1615077

Sorry I thought "Ultra-Orthodox" covered the Hasidics as well. Enlighten us with your stories
>>
>>1615093

Ok, a lot of this will be background, since I don't know how much of this stuff is common knowledge, I live among a whole lot of religious Jews myself, (I'm Orthodox educated, but not really practicing), so I don't have a great perspective on these things.

It's about 2005, and I'm in Brooklyn visiting a few relatives, and oh, they're friends with some Chabadniks. And my grandparents were trying to set me up with this one girl, and as is something of the custom, instead of meeting hers, I met up with some of her male relatives, most notably an older brother around my age.

Anyway, for the latter part of the 20th century, Habad had been lead by a guy named Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneerson. Extremely accomplished scholar, and he did a lot of outreach, bringing a lot of lapsed Jews back into actual practice. Among Lubovich, he was simply "The" Rebbe, and to outsiders "The Lubovich Rebbe".

Anyway, especially towards the later part of his life, there were murmurings that he was the Messiah. Guy dies in 1994, and most of the hopefuls fade away. There are, however, a few die hards who hadn't let the death and passing dissuade them, and this brother was one of them.

So we're sitting down in the living room, and he's going on and on and on in a very thick accent about how if you REALLY understood the various prophecies, how they're about Schneerson. He finally pauses for breath, and I mutter

והיה פעם בחור מנצירי

Which in English, would be "And there was once a young man from Nazareth" He howled, punched me square in the nose before some of the rest of the family pulled us apart. Well worth it.
>>
>>1615099

No, "Ultra Orthodox" is pretty much used to refer to Haredi, which are an example of Hasidim, but aren't the totality of the movement.There are numerous other groups, like the Chabad, the Belz, the Satmar, and a lot more that I don't know about by specific "dynasty".

Haredi, not counting the ones that joined the movements in the 70s and 80s, are pretty much all descended from that Latvia-Lithuania area, and while there is considerable overlap with a lot of Hasidic practices, they're not exactly equivalent groups.
>>
>>1615077
>To add to it, in my (admittedly anecdotal) dealings with them, most of them don't actually know Torah all that well. It's all focus on their own past rabbis and what they said.

Israeli here, I don't know about the yeshiva boys, but average folk just go and listen to a popular rabbi and meme their knowledge. The demographic really fluctuates between liberal pork eating jews and protestant tier Jews; we have this guy called Amnon Itzhak, he's an extremely popular rabbi and demagogue, anything he says flies in the religious community unchallenged because anyone trying to challenge him gets mocked non-stop when asking, imagine an even more Jewy (((Molyneux))).

And please, tell the story.

>>1614981
Because Israel is a mix of everything, you can't really be sure. There are folks who are kinda religious, just culturally Jewish, completely atheistic, orthodox (which, by the way, there needs to be a distinction, orthodox jews in israel do support Zionism, they refuse to get drafted because of religious commitment, not anti-zionism), and thing in between. So hard to say, plus a big emphasis in judaism is that it developed with the times and adjusted, so it doesn't actually need to be in accord with ancient Judaism.

At least that's what I keep hearing.
>>
>>1615149

>So hard to say, plus a big emphasis in judaism is that it developed with the times and adjusted, so it doesn't actually need to be in accord with ancient Judaism.

I would cynically point to whichever group fights the most about what proper practice is and say that's probably what the ancient Jews were doing too.
>>
>>1615131
טופ בנטז
>>
File: The Talmud.jpg (513KB, 2239x1568px) Image search: [Google]
The Talmud.jpg
513KB, 2239x1568px
>>1615131

Damn, I just watched a video a couple days ago about a rabbi discussing the Rebbe and the people that believed he was the Messiah

https://youtu.be/sPXE7P8Rcgo
>>
File: Emblem of Israel.png (7KB, 121x150px) Image search: [Google]
Emblem of Israel.png
7KB, 121x150px
Can anyone explain what Reconstructionist Judaism is?

Has anyone here converted to Judaism?
>>
>>1615183

In a VERY reductionist way, they're Jewish deists. They're also somewhat infamous for re-writing liturgical passages to be gender-balanced.

So instead of it saying "God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob" They'll add in "And Sarah, Rebecca, Leah, and Rachel", that kind of thing.
>>
>>1614981
>which seems to be the most "correct" in that it's the closest to how ancient Israelites practiced it?
Karaite, obviously
>>
>>1615492

What? I mean, it's patently obvious that there was some sort of oral tradition that predated and supplemented what got written down. For crying out loud, you have a system of divorce laid out when there's no accompanying system of "how to get married".

If you want to say that the Oral Torah of today doesn't really resemble what was around back in the day, sure, you can make an argument in that direction. But to argue that it never existed to begin with? Nah, that's nuts.
>>
File: 1462938896263.png (30KB, 747x491px) Image search: [Google]
1462938896263.png
30KB, 747x491px
Is Kabbalism 2spooky4u?

>I do not mean to suggest that magic is not a part of Kabbalah. There are certainly many traditional Jewish stories that involve the use of hidden knowledge to affect the world in ways that could be described as magic. The Talmud and other sources ascribe supernatural activities to many great rabbis. Some rabbis pronounced a name of G-d and ascended into heaven to consult with the G-d and the angels on issues of great public concern. One scholar is said to have created an artificial man by reciting various names of G-d. Much later stories tell of a rabbi who created a man out of clay (a golem) and brought it to life by putting in its mouth a piece of paper with a name of G-d on it. However, this area of Kabbalah (if indeed it is more than mere legend) is not something that is practiced by the average Jew, or even the average rabbi.
>>
>>1615131

Your story makes no sense and is shit.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.