[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is History the most legitimate Humanities degree? Why does everyone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 184
Thread images: 17

File: 1472348047218[1].jpg (192KB, 1070x898px) Image search: [Google]
1472348047218[1].jpg
192KB, 1070x898px
Is History the most legitimate Humanities degree? Why does everyone shit on it so much, especially the "MUH HERITAGE" /pol/tards who fell for the STEM meme? How are you going to praise the historical accomplishments of your ancestors while trashing the academic study of said history?
>>
History is much better than most humanities subjects. It still for plebs brainlets who can't learn it for themselves.
>>
arent those meme charts suppose to represent earnings rather than importance?
>>
>>1612004
No, it's entirely arbitrary
>>
File: wojack disparaged.png (29KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
wojack disparaged.png
29KB, 633x758px
>>1612000
>plebs brainlets who can't learn it for themselves.
Or maybe they just want to get their PHD and teach it you goddamn asshole?
t. History student
>>
>>1612000
Doing actual historical scholarship requires schooling, you can't just teach yourself what Historians are doing in universities.

Humanities BAs are laughably easy though, I'll agree to that.
>>
>>1612008
You can learn most of this shit on your own time and find better resources. Most people don't need a physical teacher to tell them about shit you could probably look up and make your own opinions on anyways.
>>
File: 1471393659392.png (333KB, 550x361px) Image search: [Google]
1471393659392.png
333KB, 550x361px
>>1611998
>Economics anything but pseudoscience
>>
File: 8132083_orig.jpg (60KB, 472x473px) Image search: [Google]
8132083_orig.jpg
60KB, 472x473px
>>1612055
>implying
>>
>>1612046
You need a physical teacher and an organization to grant you a degree in order to become a teacher, I.E, a professor.
>>
>>1611998
>economics
>low tier

HA
>>
>>1612153
>>1612008
The point of becoming a professor is not to teach, it's to be paid to do research.
>>
>>1612094
>praxeology
Literally the most pseudoscientific of economics.
>>
>>1611998
If you flip this chart upside down it shows who has the most-->least sex
>>
>>1611998
>Tiers
Remember, all tiers are subjective and are mostly bullshit. Except gender studies and the like. They're the real bullshit.
>>
>>1612511
better than STEM
>>
>>1611998
I just happen to like astronomy, why does it make me better than everyone else???

Astronomy / astrophysics / cosmology isn't even nearly as difficult as biochemistry or Medicine

Also laws a meme major and should be on low tier ever since circa 2004

>>1612320
I'm not sure what makes you think English majors have more sex than law majors or STEM majors, since English majors are typically spergs who think annoying their classmates with pro-god or anti-god rants is proper behavior
>>
>>1612320
Are all humanities fags this delusional
>>1612514
Don't forget the fries
>>
>>1612522
Honestly I'd say STEMfags have more sex than any liberal arts nonsense major, although not nearly as much as """Business"""" and finance majors
>>
File: 1469525853680.png (109KB, 1072x920px) Image search: [Google]
1469525853680.png
109KB, 1072x920px
>>1612000
>History is much better than most humanities subjects.
Better in what way?
>>
>>1611998
>Economics and business
>Low tier
Jobs galore and easy to climb up that ladder

>Law
>Top tier
Good luck getting a job in this field. Ever.
>>
>>1612522
>he isn't NEET
>>
>>1612593
>Christianity gives us the university system
>Theology and religious studies banned from university
Sounds fair
>>
>>1612593
I thought cognitive science was just some weird sub-field that Neuroscientists and PHD philosophers found themselves in sometimes but it's a legit major in like a couple dozen universities. Color me impressed.
>>
>>1612602
And Christcucks were just aping Greco-Roman Academies.
>>
>>1612632
Objectively incorrect
>>
>>1612593
I've been thinking about getting into archeology, any archeofags here care to shed some light on it as a field? Is it a dead end or are opportunities to have a decent career relatively easy to come across?
>>
>>1612593
accurate
>>
>>1612046
Yes, but what good does your self taught education do you?

If you want to use that education in any way, to teach or to publish, then you need connections. You form those connections in college, with faculty and with students who will eventually be your contemporaries.

There is also something to be said for hearing viewpoints other than your own. You're a fool if you think you understand all things perfectly and cannot achieve a greater understanding by learning from others.
>>
>>1612515
Agreed. Most lawyers spend their careers defending drunk drivers or examining property disputes or patent cases.

It's so utilitarian it's disgusting.
>>
>>1612530
Have you met any STEM fags? A lot of them cannot into women at all. They're boring psuedo-intellectuals who know a lot about their field of study and nothing about how to be an interesting human being.

STEM isn't just for autists, but there are a lot of autists in STEM.
>>
I'm about to finish a BS in Computer Science, but I feel like I want to get a masters in History in a couple years (5-10). How could I combine the 2 disciplines, and what kind of job does a masters in history get you possibly?

I feel like I would love writing essays on historical topics and arguments, but without a steady job I assume that can't support itself on its own.
>>
>>1612773
Well.... as far as combining disciplines? The history of computing, either of individual inventors and companies or of large phenomenons like the internet would all make interesting fields of study.

Various government agencies like to hire history students, especially the State Dept. (Not sure if you're a US citizen, but there must be equivalents in every country)

You would probably have to work and do research as a side project unless you could get a university to pay you to do it.
>>
>>1612659
Second this. I'm currently on a history path, but archaeology sounds awesome
>>
>>1611998
Music is far from being shit tier, dude...
>>
>>1611998
>especially the "MUH HERITAGE" /pol/tards who fell for the STEM meme?

wew, that's some pure ideology if i've ever seen some
>>
>>1611998
also, Math, Physics, and Astronomy should be in mid tier; law, IT, and Computer Science on god tier.
>>
>>1612593
>SOCIAL SCIENCE GOD TIER
TOP KEK.

Here in Brazil, Social Science students are just a bunch of neo-hippies SJW's.
>>
>>1612870
> law
>god tier.
Are you fucking kidding? Have fun in traffic court or starbucks
>>
>>1611998
>Economics
>Low tier

haha try again mr millennial man :^)
>>
>>1612094
>>1612193
>>1612596
>>1612912
lol all these butthurt econ majors
>>
>>1611998
You know that you are retard if you believe in data in .JPGs.
Just study everything you want, and just be systematic, then some jobs will happen.
Just do not be this lazy faggot.
>>
>>1612593
Why shouldn't theology be allowed?
>>
>information technology and economics low tier
Lel stembabbies mad others make more money than them
>>
>>1612632
lol
>>
>>1612659
I'm am archaeology graduate. It was a really fun degree, and has a lot more career prospects than history. I'm joining the army though, so I'm not pursuing it as a career.
>>
>>1612867
Explain
>>
>Get degree in chemistry
>All job opportunities are lab monkey positions getting paid about as much as most grocery stores, exactly the same now that NY minimum wage is increased
>Have to go further in schooling and work for free as a professor for years before being allowed a real paycheck
>Something like 70% of all PhD graduates are in poverty

Yeah real master race, my chem degree makes for fantastic toilet paper. Should have gone for engineering.
>>
>ethnology not even listed

I feel good about that. List couldnt be more shit.

Its a fun degree, yall haters should try it.
>>
History and philosophy are legit. It's social and political """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""sciences""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""that give humanities a bad name.
>>
>>1612000
>It still for plebs brainlets who can't learn it for themselves.
This 'argument' is still for pleb brainlets who haven't even stopped to consider that history might not just be an objective progression of dates with names and events attached;, let alone even heard of historiography.

I say that as a STEMfag even.
>>
>>1612726
Ngl this post gave me social anxiety
>>
Why does everyone shit on Poli-Sci? Isn't it literally just looking at demographics and finding out what candidate resonates the best?
>>
>>1612530
>Honestly I'd say STEMfags have more sex than any liberal arts nonsense major,
You'd "say" that? Do you have any kind of insight or data to back that up because it's total bullshit
>>
>>1611998
>Psychology low tier while statistics is top tier
>Implying you don't need knowledge on statistics to do proper psychological research
Wew lads
>>
>>1612004
no its made by people who think if you have a STEM major the jobs will come to you which isn't true for like any major but Nursing, which is actually in huge fucking demand and pays really well and it actually astounds me that more people don't do it

the only majors that should really be any worse than other ones are shit you literally cannot do anything with like feminist studies, because otherwise if you just actually network and make connections with people and your professors you can get a job with a lot of majors. If you don't do that even if you have a STEM you are just as likely to work at Starbucks as a African American studies major. This is assuming your college doesn't force you to do co-op/find a job for you like how some do.
>>
>>1614002
I am going to correct myself, with feminist studies I was told you can be either:
(more likely) a school councilor/ somebody who does presentations at schools
(less likely) write for some feminist media outlet

there can be overlap in this however regardless you become a waste of oxygen by becoming a feminist studies/women studies major
>>
>>1612922
> t. Computer Science major in oversaturated market
>>
>>1611998
These tier-memes always make me chuckle. I'm 32, work in a university and can't tell you the number of STEM students who hate what they're doing and can't find work. Even those getting nice grades.
>>
>>1614127
what are some fields that are picking up right now? bonus points if they're actually useful
>>
>>1614135
The right kinds of STEM. I think we'll see a socio-economic shift in the next few decades anyway. Current pension systems are simply unsustainable even with boatloads of immigrants. If we do move to a 'guaranteed basic income' sort of model, in principle it won't matter what you study.

Anyway, arts and humanities are OK if you really like them and are OK with the idea you need to try to make something of it yourself. I urge students to be realistic though, because I can't flat out say "you're an idiot for studying art history/media studies/etc".

I'm not an expert, but Maths students are my only group that always seem to find something, although it may not be what they really want (insurance, finance, IT, whatever -- most maths guys seem to want to hover around academia). Aerospace, robotics, particle sciences (batteries) and even environmental engineers seem to find stuff.
>>
>>1612904
Law tends to vary incredibly depending on the country. The US sells 10x more degrees for 50k a year at meme universities that will never allow you to get a proper job in the industry unless you want to work in rural north-dakota for 30k a year.

I know here in Canada there are higher standards to get in which lowers the number of graduating students each year. I'm unsure what it's like in Europe or Australia.
>>
>>1612000
>who can't learn it for themselves.

Most people who "self-teach" history view with zero regard to historiography, because people rarely talk about how important it is.

They read a book on it and just assume that's what happened. There's more to the study of history than just knowing facts and dates.
>>
>>1613586
>ethnology
Are there universities still offering degrees in this? It thought it was completely dissolved in cultural anthropology by now.
>>
What do you think of people that put physics and engineering on the same level?
>>
>>1613998
>Archeological low tier while engineering is top tier
>Implying you don't need knowledge on engineering to do proper archeological research
>Wew lads
>>
>>1614479
That only makes them brainlets who are fooling themselves.
>>
File: karl-popper.jpg (89KB, 770x1000px) Image search: [Google]
karl-popper.jpg
89KB, 770x1000px
>tfw philogy doesn't exist anymore
>>
>>1614469
Depends on the Euro country. Generally university (a top-tier research uni) is affordable for any who want to take it, but you really need to have the grades for it.

There are rarely private universities in the American concept, but most countries do also have university 'tiers' (not officially, but that's how it works out), so even if you don't have the best grades, you can finish some kind of bachelor if you really want, and it won't bankrupt you for 20 years to do it.
>>
>>1615216
Just study classical languages dude.
>>
>>1615216
I assume you mean philology? It's fairly common in Germany. Most departments for XYZ language are aimed at teaching teachers, but usually have a philology stream for those who don't want to teach highschool kids, but want to study the history, linguistics and literature of a language directly. I have an MA in English philology myself (it's a little more specific than that, but I'm not going to share details on 4chan)
>>
10% of history majors work in a history related. More history majors work in culinary than in history.
>>
>>1612659
>>1612823

Archaeology grad student here. First of all, make sure you research what archaeology actually is, and what the various jobs you'll be doing entail. Most people don't seem to learn this until well into a university program. It can be hard work, and not everyone is suited for it, or enjoys it. It's a job people do because they love it, and, if they do, it's very rewarding.

>Is it a dead end or are opportunities to have a decent career relatively easy to come across?

That depends on a lot of things. Mostly what you mean by "decent career," "relatively easy to come across," and how much education you're willing to get. Archaeology is often considered the field that requires the most amount of education for less pay relative to other professions. In terms of jobs, archaeology is largely split up between the academics and professional archaeology work (cultural/heritage resource management). No archaeological job is ever going to make you rich, but it's entirely possibly to live comfortably as an archaeologist. And again, it's a job you do because you like doing it.

continued below
>>
>>1615496
continued:

Professional archaeology is possible to work in with an undergrad. But only having an undergrad places you on basically the bottom rung of the ladder and relegates you to shit work unless you distinguish yourself with a specific skill and have a good amount of experience. Much of the work you get as an undergrad is also seasonal. But the kind of job you'll be able to get is also entirely dependent on where you live; some places just have more jobs than others. In general, the work isn't terribly hard to find, and I've known tons of CRM archaeologists who say that work isn't always terribly stable, but as an archaeologist, you never have to be out of a job. In order to make better money and have better job prospects, a masters degree is usually seen as preferable to have; there are conflicting opinions as to how useful a Phd is if you want to work CRM (some people think you're classing yourself out of many jobs). In general, people who get a masters and end up finding a stable job end up pretty solidly in the middle class. People I've known with bachelor's have ranged from barely living above the poverty line to being middle class.

Academic archaeology is much harder to get into. It requires a Phd and the job market isn't great. There's speculation about how it will open up in the future as people retire. Generally, you need to teach classes and continue doing research while publishing. It requires more work to get into, it can be more demanding, and it's very hard to find a job, but it generally pays more than professional archaeology.

Like I said, research what archaeology is and decide if it's worth it. It's much different than history, both in methods and theory, and in the kind of work you'll be doing. People like to talk shit about it, but it's one of the few social science/humanities fields that actually has a job market tied specifically to it, and it can be very fulfilling (but difficult) work.
>>
>>1615216
It was eclipsed by historical linguistics.
>>
File: image.jpg (159KB, 800x1065px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
159KB, 800x1065px
Why does everyone shit on Political Science here, I'm genuinely curious

And does the same apply for Politics in the UK?
>>
>>1611998
History is fine if you acknowledge a few things

>If you want to do work in your field, you're either going to teach or get into archiving/data management
>If you want to get paid well, you're going to need AT LEAST a Master's Degree (However, many schools are actually paying people to be assistant librarians/archive techs while they get their Master's degree and then promoting them when they finish because there are a fuckton of records being produced and few people to archive it)
>Finding a private sector job is like finding a sane qt 30 year old virgin female, you might find one, but you're one out of a billion guys trying to pop that cherry. Good fucking luck.
>Teaching should be seen as a secondary resort because unless you get a History Ed degree, finding a job will be fucking difficult
>If you want to work outside of your field, find a cushy office job as a physical records manager (basically a glorified filer and collator) and get in with your IT guy so you can push it to digital as well.
There you go.
>>
I'm studying theory and history of culture and I can clearly say that before I was introduced to cultural anthropology and historical anthropology the whole field was really blurry and boring as hell. The idea to go somewhere and learn on the spot from the people themselves or in the historical cases study the ordinary life and the culture itself based on the artifacts is the fucking god tier of humannities.
>>
>>1611998
>economics and law not being shit tier
praise kek
>>
>>1611998
All studies above Low are valuable with the exception of Philosophy and History.
>>
>>1612593
Where are the natural sciences? You know, the ones that feed into Engineering, Technology and Medicine?
>>
>>1615010
Well, they pretty much have the same use
>What do you think of people that put maths and physics on the same level?
>>
>>1612593
>the subject upon whose study the first universities were based around
>should not be allowed at universities
okay.jpg
>>
>>1612932
>>1620244
it not like we will have another "muh trinity" episode in the 21 century
>>
>>1611998
What about Environmental Science?
>>
File: fuck off.jpg (20KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
fuck off.jpg
20KB, 306x306px
>>1611998
>no environmental science
>>
>>1620603
Memers will say it's a meme but actually you can make big bucks and people will still think you are saving the earth.
>>
>>1614089
>econ
>not oversatured as fuck
>>
>>1611998
>music in shit tier
the guy who made the chart probably thinks music students are a bunch of hippies who only smoke weed and make shitty improvs on guitars
>>
>>1620801
But they are.
>>
>>1620811
have you ever set a foot inside a conservatory?
>>
>>1620801
>>1620816
>Triggered
>>
n a
>>
>awful at math

>want to work in humanities, but no humanities jobs pay more than 40k/year

killme.jpg
>>
>>1621125
In a similar boat. Currently the only really well paying job somewhat related to humanities is psychiatry, but of course you have to go to med school for that
>>
>>1621125
embrace NEET life
>>
>>1620019
It's obviously a humanities chart you fucking STEMfag retard.
>>
Why is Political Science bad?
>>
>>1612004
>Importance
Name me the major contributions of history majors.
>>
>>1612773
Making shitty grand strategy games
>>
Applied Math counts in the math as god-tier, right? Pls...
>>
>>1614002
That's a load of bullshit if I ever heard one. STEM always has high demand, and if you can't find shit in your country you probably just graduated from a shit university and didn get enough internships.
Move to a third world country and try there, since the demand is even higher and validating a foreign degree will almost always mean better jobs.
>>
>>1622764
>there's ALWAYS demand
>and if there isn't it's obviously because you picked a bad university or because you haven't worked enough for free yet or because you weren't born into a well connected family
>it's 100% YOUR fault if you don't make 6 figures starting
:^)

Inb4:
>if I can make it EVERYONE can

STEM is a shadow of it's former glory and while it still has better financial returns than the humanities, it's significantly harder to do and if you're not even passionate about it what's the point when you could study something you actually love.
>>
>>1622744
Is this a joke
Why are you even on this board
>>
>economics that low
why
im guaranteed a 50k salary when i graduate were i live
>>
>>1622895
Probably just because so many people choose to major in business/ economics. Because its such a versatile degree you really dont have to go straight into working for a corporation either.
>>
>>1621125
Why don't you either do Law or just join the State Department / Civil Service?
>>
>>1621647
Hm? Why the hostility?
I got that it was a humanities chart, but there are sciences on that chart so I also thought it was a valuable courses chart, of which they all are.
Why am I a retard? All pursuits of knowledge are valuable.
>>
>>1620603
>>1620606
I'd place it on Mid Tier
>>
>tfw all I want to do is law
>tfw wasted 2 years in comp sci (100 starting xddd) now have shit GPA and am trying to salvage it in humanities to try to be accepted to literally any law school

Kill me kill me kill me
>>
>>1612055
Economics are actually important to a society unless you live in North Korea or Vietnam.
>>
>>1612593
Some people want to go on to become Priests, Rabbis, Imams, nuns, etc. What's your problem with that?
>>
>>1622961
Because all the nearest Law Schools to me cost upwards of 30K/Year X 3 for a JD.

And most Canadian government jobs pay ass, require you to be completely bilingual or require very specific degrees.
>>
>>1623997
Fair enough. Here in the UK Law Schools not THAT expensive and the civil service recruits anyone with a 2:1 or higher degree in any subject. They teach you any 2nd languages as well for free, with the starting salary being around 35k.
>>
>>1624821
I've always heard that it's much easier for humanities students in the U.K.

The only fields in Canada which guaranteed a relatively high income are banking and pretty much anything related to oil, gas and mining (although oil and gas not so much anymore)
>>
>>1624852
Oil and gas jobs aren't going to entirely disappear though. Canada is resource rich, but paradoxically cannot maintain a robust economy primarily off its resources. Thanks to 'free-trade' and globalism, large-scale industry isn't very profitable either. You see Canada's major industry trickling away over the decades. What does that leave to float the economy? For the foreseeable future, it's service jobs (ruled by noble House Banking), and all the joys that brings... A similar process is underway in most of the West. Luxembourg, Singapore or Hong Kong (stymed by the mainland nowadays) are prime examples of service economy vangaurds.

Since Canada is lucky to have a large store of various resources and related industry that can/will exist for a long time, it's not as desperate to shift to a service 'post'-economy, and can do so with more risk and experimentation. Conversely, it can do so in a more cautious lazy way, which is what I think we're doing now.

t. another Canabro here,
>>
>>1625010
I was referring more to the fact that oil and gas are not likely to be as much of a guarantee of sufficient wages anymore due to significantly lower prices of oil and gas, as in Alberta
>>
>>1611998
>STEMfags advancing technology to the point where humans become irrelevant in math and science
>philosofags will always have jobs as teachers of philosophy because robots cant do philosophy
I mean sure philosophy's job market isn't booming but at least its indispensable.
>>
>>1612294
>it's to be paid to do research.
with the end goal of what?
letting the research die with the researcher?
Research then promulgate the information.
What do we call the promulgation of information?

Teaching.
>>
>>1625264
STEMautists BTFO
>>
>>1623382

If you've got initiative, you can get a crap-tier law degree, pass the bar in the state you want to practice in, find a niche, and make a killing as a private practitioner. No need to join Big Law (where the jobs are few and far between). Your clients will never ask you what law school you went to.
>>
>>1625264
>STEMfags advancing technology to the point where humans become irrelevant in math and science
name one famous non-human scientist or mathematician
>>
>>1613594
[citation needed]

Also, what is the general butthurt with political sciences? Literature studies is by far Mord unscientific imo
>>
>>1625412
>STEM
>human
>>
>>1611998
I hate STEM memes, I felt fot it and studied IT for a while but salaries were just laughable in my country so I gave up. I'll better work as a hooker in the 1st world country and reading history is at least a pleasant thing to do unlike soulless coding.
>>
>>1625412
computers do math better than humans.
>>
>>1614469
>unless you want to work in rural north-dakota for 30k a year
Sounds great desu
>>
>>1625252
That's good in a way though, precisely because we see now how vulnerable Alberta is. No region should be so dependent on one industry, it's pretty fucking stupid. This is sort of Alberta's own fault. The price of oil is/was always dependent on the whims of oil sheikhs, so it's just a bit foolish betting on them always keeping prices high.
>>
>>1612294
A common fallacy. That is precisely what's wrong with a lot of professorships. Research is important, but the point of a university is also teaching.
>>
File: lKWWRM9k.gif (797KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
lKWWRM9k.gif
797KB, 500x281px
>>1611998

W-Where would Actuary be?
>>
Starting Sociology in Octomber. Hoping to be able to specialize in cultural anthropology or ethnography at the end of it and/or at master's degree.
>>
File: shinichi.png (618KB, 657x807px) Image search: [Google]
shinichi.png
618KB, 657x807px
>>1626097
Brainlet detected.
>>
>>1626666
ebin(also check'd)
>>
Does anyone here actually have an advanced degree in a humanities field (masters or PhD)? If so any advice on jobs or school?
>>
>>1614469
>Law in Australia
I feel like I'm going to be clawing throats out to get a job but at least the education part won't cost me $100 000.
>>
>>1620603
why study enviro sci when you can just do geology?
>>
File: 1462395200881.png (570KB, 746x819px) Image search: [Google]
1462395200881.png
570KB, 746x819px
Thoughts on Geography (it's called "Geographic Science" at my school)? Concentrating in GIS, made a few maps on the side for an Archaeology professor. I'm much more inclined towards history/humanities stuff but I thought this seemed like I could actually get employed, either govt or private sector.
>>
>>1612522
You're on a humanities board. K.Y.S
>>
>>1627367
>waah stop invading my safe spaces
>>
>>1611998
>Computer Science is mid tier
>History is low tier

What is the significance of these tiers? This table is nonsense.
>>
>>1627420
make your own and post it then you lazy faggot
>>
>>1627421
Ignoring my own opinion on how the orginal creator decided to rank, I think my point is that the idea of ranking fields of work and study into perceived tiers is nonsense to begin with. You either make a difference to people doing what you do or you don't, and all of these fields are important to someone. Just because,for instance, music isn't important to you doesn't mean it ranks less (whatever that means) than another field. Everyone values things differently. For me, Women's Studies and Political Science are the fields listed that aren't important to me, so I'd say they "rank" less, but that doesn't mean the work in those fields doesn't make some significant difference in others' lives. I mean, how do we measure what's important or not? Do we quantify it by how many people's lives have been improved by it?

If so, then it seems like this is something for statistics to sort out than for some opinion from a rando on the internet.

Anyway, have fun with your misguided thread. I had fun thinking about it.
>>
>>1626582
Why don't you study anthropology then?
>>
>>1611998

Because the humanities departments of the universities were taken over in the great Post-Modernist revolution and lost any trace of objectivity or credibility they enjoyed previously. Now they are just another PC mouth organ.
>>
File: tipping.jpg (25KB, 470x470px) Image search: [Google]
tipping.jpg
25KB, 470x470px
>>1612593
>>
>>1612922
>they haven't realised that economics is just ideology dressed up in numbers :^)
>>
>>1627652
Sociology seems more useful on the job market.
>>
>>1627082
Geog/urban planning major here

You can but learn to program before you start gis.

>mfw nimbys
>>
>>1611998
>Computer Science
>low
I wonder if the people who make these charts even know what goes into Computer Science and its importance to the modern world.
>>
PPE is the best degree, especially when supplemented with history classes
>>
File: autistic trauma.jpg (99KB, 703x516px) Image search: [Google]
autistic trauma.jpg
99KB, 703x516px
>>1611998
>Mfw planning on going to law school
I can choose basically any major because it won't mean shit against my LSAT score.
>>
>>1622744
They actually keep tumblrinas from revising history
>>
>>1630954
Unless they are tumblrinas.
>>
>>1611998
>Why does everyone shit on it so much

Because you literally can't do anything with it but teach history.

Having a wide breadth of knowledge about history is great. Going so far as to get a degree in history is pointless. Especially because half the people who get such a degree stop at the BA level.
>>
>>1625273
Oh shit you're right, I remember reading that paper published by a team of teachers the other day. They totally weren't researchers, they were teachers, because they were writing information. By the way I'm a teacher too, you're reading information I'm typing right now.

See you in detention.
>>
>>1612861
Irs great at HS but I feel like it's difficult being a career musician. I plan on doing it as sort of a hobby that actually gives me money.
>>
>>1617304
Most likely because they're insecure faggots who feel a desperate need to validate their own degree choice by shitting all over a "lesser" degree.

Guess what guys, you're no better than a STEMfag when you do this shit. Political Science is a legitimate field and you can't prove otherwise
>>
>>1615216
It's alive and well under that name in Europe. You can blame the American eclipsing of that name by "historical linguistics" on Paul de Maan.
>>
>>1611998
This picture is ridiculous, Astronomy being god tier and IT being low tier? Lmao
>>
File: 1470446385254.gif (3MB, 600x396px) Image search: [Google]
1470446385254.gif
3MB, 600x396px
>did history
>work in library as an information specialist
>full time but I kind of wish I could work more because I have a good time and all the people are very nice

Thinking about going for masters in library science, I have pretty good connections at this point.
>>
I'm at the point in college where I really have to decide what degree I'm doing, and I'm torn between cultural anthro and history. I like both subjects about equally, what should I pick?
>>
>>1612593
Add theater to shit tier. All theater majors are fucking weirdos.
>>
>>1612593
Feel like cognitive science and psychology are essentially one thing at this point but this is pretty much accurate.
>>
>>1634496
watching a telescope and doing basic mathematics is shit tier.
>>
>>1611998
>Economics
>Low-Tier

By what fucking metric?
>>
>>1634902
Are you seriously incapable of doing a double major in two humanities?
>>
>>1635015
All theater majors are dirty hobo hipsters that wear the same shit since their senior year in highschool and buy used clothes
>>
>>1611998
>military sciences shit tier
Pic brought to you by some whiny manlet.
>>
>>1635015
I think they're already included in shit tier with the other "_____ studies."

>>1627652
>>1628111
It's a smart choice, methods and theory are mostly the same but sociology includes statistics, so you're probably right when you say it seems more useful on the job market. If you read Marvin Harris or Leslie White then you're already better educated on anthropology than most graduate students.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
What makes geology top tier?
I'm currently working towards my masters in geology because the pay is good and minerals are pretty cool I guess. I'm doing it because it interest me but I don't know if it's actually a good field.
>>
>>1635218
STEM memes
>>
>>1637150
Nice feldspar bruh. Geology guy here, if you go into hydrogeology or geophysics you're looking at 6 figures easy. I myself decided to be a paleoclimatologist... Pays not as good
>>
>>1635015
Yea, just started a new job, and one of the employees is a theater grad. Definitely looks like a weirdo. Says she did her 'thesis' (in dance) using feminist queer something-something. Not sure how that works with dance, but I smiled and nodded and made a mental note to avoid her.
>>
>>1637150
Geology is pretty based. Good figures and nobody seems to know about it despite good growth. Easier than an engineering degree too.
>>
>>1637137
Anthropology is a meme
>>
>>1612294
>what is Humboldt
>>
>>1614469
germany is oversaturated as hell
university is free here and law is the go to major for anyone who 'doesn't like math'
also a lot of women do it because the only job where you can leave for a few years to shit out some kids then return to the same position part time is in the government
>>
>>1612773
there are computer scientists who do systematic research of source texts, catalogization and such
>>
>>1641484
Explain.
>>
>>1635784

This. Joint major is standard in Irish universities.
>>
>>1641636

That's one reason I like the fact that universities are not free in Canada and the U.S., because it helps keep the value of a degree up.

There's still way too many people getting useless degrees though.

Would do you think, would it be a good idea if universities kicked you out if your grades dropped below a certain point? Not just a failing grade, but say something like
Harvard will kick you out if you drop below 3.5 GPA
State schools will kick you out if you drop below 3.0
Community college will kick you out if you drop below 2.5
>>
>>1641636
It's funny to see a German so aggressive to child-bearing, since the country is rapidly shrinking and nearly all its politicians propose replacing the shortfall with nigs and muslims. You think you might be a little more sympathetic to the few remaining women who DO want to have children. Don't worry, I guess. In a couple decades they'll be staying at home all day every day to raise dozens of little Mohameds and Aishas.

University is also not free. There isn't tuition like in the US or UK, but students still have costs to bear. Luckily, it's generally not life-breaking though. The real problem is with Germany's highschool system. It's a farce.

And on that note, you still need good grades to get into university in the first place. The number of people who do an Ausbildung or study at a Fachhochschule is still greater than university, and the number of young people with no higher education is still high for a developed country like Germany.

>>1643047
Knowledge really is its own reward though. Even if you consider some degree 'useless', the fact that we have a widely educated populace is overall much much positive than the reverse.

Also...
>implying universities give a shit about GPAs as long as the money keeps rolling in
>>
>>1614002
Nursing is actually a pain in the ass to do. 12 hour shift of getting shit on by fat old people with chronic illnesses who just die anyway.
>>
Philosophy is objectively the best humanities degree
Thread posts: 184
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.