[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Everyone is aware of that popular quote about how those who don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: Sleepy.jpg (16KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Sleepy.jpg
16KB, 480x360px
Everyone is aware of that popular quote about how those who don't learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them. But the conflict is, people can't seem to agree on what the actual lessons are. So tell me, /his/: What do you think the most important lessons of history are? Bonus points if they're overlooked oftentimes.

Also pic unrelated
>>
>>1611965
>What do you think the most important lessons of history are?
There is no good guy or bad guy.

Jean of Arc and her French soldiers were certain that God was on their side. Meanwhile, the anglos believed God was on their side. The dynasties of China rose to power by claiming Mandate of Heaven, yet were ever so quick to deny the legitimacy of the new claimants. Hitler started a massive war that killed many people, and the US explicitly targeted German civilian centers for bombing raids.

If anyone tells you "[insert polity or leader here] is bad we have to stop them!", tell that person to first analyze themselves.
>>
The thing about learning from the past is that it doesn't offer concrete answers for modern problems. It provides examples of every type, but it doesn't provide a solution for the foibles of the human condition. It's comforting to think that one can arm themselves with knowledge against all danger, but what about everyone else? What about the structural & societal flaws that encompasses thousands or millions or billions of people working in tandem? There are faults that no individual can set right.

In any event the same flaws that caused ruin to every civilization won't go away just because you can recognize them in the past. Avarice, envy, paranoia, pride etc... etc...Even an enlightened leader can find himself powerless against the inertia of existing circumstances.
>>
>>1611965
Never get involved in a land war in Asia.
>>
>>1611995
I feel like the decolonization and how it's been handled is kind of admirable in a way instead of how empires violently die in the past, right? Just slowly disengage and give the people what they want instead of needlessly defending it with force.
Of course not everyone did this, and leaving some of them prematurely resulted in the crappy states that we see today, but on the whole I think it might have been inspired by looking at history and not wanting to repeat that.
>>
File: smbc history.png (510KB, 684x2329px) Image search: [Google]
smbc history.png
510KB, 684x2329px
>>1611965
>>
The one immutable and persistent meme of history is that horse nomads will fuck you up.

So don't trust anyone from central asia.
>>
File: image.png (3MB, 1600x1316px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
3MB, 1600x1316px
>>1612256
...unless you're Frankish, of course.
Then you fuck THEM up.
>>
>>1611997
Who made this mistake?
>>
>>1612474
asians
>>
File: inconceivable.jpg (22KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
inconceivable.jpg
22KB, 320x320px
>>1611997
>>
>>1611965
Among the most important lessons is that no king rules forever, and only death is eternal.
>>
>>1611965
>What do you think the most important lessons of history are?
Make sure you don't have a system where one person can have total control of the military or substantial military forces. This only leads to coups and civil wars. Example, the Roman Empire.

Don't allow people to be able to gravitate towards strong charismatic leaders in times of hardship, who make ridiculous promises and claims. This always ends badly. Example, Hitler
>>
>>1612249
The point is the same. The preceding sentence literally changes nothing.

The person who made this comic is a fucking moron.
>>
>>1615081
No, the point is different, choosing not to learn from knowledge that is available is a separate problem from not learning from unavailable information.
>>
>>1615091
That's the same thing, though. Both are ignorance of the past. Nothing stops someone from recording history the same way that nothing stops somebody from reading the records.

The point remains the same, ignorance of history is bad, whether by ignoring its records, or simply failing to record it at all.
>>
There is no point in looking into history for lessons. Food shortages/hard times still conjure war in poor countries, and military paradigm shifts change tactics.
>>
>>1611965
I'm not sure if history really repeats or not, but it seems to do so because we as humans are still governing ourselves by the same instincts as we were since the dawn of time. I believe the most important lesson of history is that human nature is constant.
>>
Love your neighbor as yourself.
There is no good or evil.
Seek happiness, but not at the expense of others.
Not everything is your fault.
The world is almost always getting better.
The unexamined life is not worth living.
There are no absolute truths.
There are no dumb questions.
Question everything.
>>
>>1612302
>defeat a scouting party
>"yay we saved europe!"
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.