[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you guys suggest some history related literature? What are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: old-man-sitting-home-reading.jpg (116KB, 1300x984px) Image search: [Google]
old-man-sitting-home-reading.jpg
116KB, 1300x984px
Can you guys suggest some history related literature?
What are you reading at the moment?
>>
The Story of Civilization
By Will Durant
>>
>>1610596
Seems interesting, definitely will check out
>>
>>1610588
"Chevaliers du christ" by Alain Demiurger.
A treaty on the history of military-religious monastic orders of the Holy Land, Reconquista and Prussia. Looks pretty well done so far.
>>
The silk roads by Frankopan.
He sets out to challenge the western centric narrative of history. Some interesting views and tidbits that I didn't know about like attempted alliances between the Mongols and the Franks and English.

However I'm about 3/4 through and about 45% of the book is about the 20th century and he loses sight of his target after Columbus and Vasco de Gama are introduced. (Although he does recognise the egyptocentric and indocentric views of the Beitish empire'.

In addition I think he makes a big mistake in not delving into the formation of Persia and the ancient civilisations. Furthermore events in China and surprisingly the Ottoman Empire and India are glossed over. His definition of east isn't what you think it is and feels that the east is anything so long as it isn't France, UK, Iberia and the Americas.

It has a bitching cover though.
>>
Demanding the Impossible
bretty gud but I wish the author would hold off on giving his hot opinions so often
>>
>Can you guys suggest some history related literature?
Here's the bibliographies index:
http://pastebin.com/u/jonstond2

>What are you reading at the moment?
Exploring Religion in Ancient Egypt.
Don't waste your time reading it. It's polemics and rants with the occasional picture. You will know less about the subject matter after you read it, than before.
>>
Revolutionary Iran: A History of the Islamic Republic by Michael Axworthy

It's p gud but I don't have very much experience with books that are about history.
>>
>>1610588
I can't recommend Steven Runciman's three-parter on The Crusades enough. He's one of the twentieth century's best English-stylists
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.