[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How advanced was pre-Columbian mesoamerican culture and society

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: Swanky.jpg (6KB, 250x148px) Image search: [Google]
Swanky.jpg
6KB, 250x148px
How advanced was pre-Columbian mesoamerican culture and society in relation to the rest of the world
>>
>>1608263
Mathematically they were more advanced, than the Spaniards invading them. But in all other categories less so.
>>
>>1608263
better than niggers and arabs and pinoys lesser than europe and east asia
>>
>>1608263
They literally sacrificed people, all the time. They were backwards af
>>
>>1608287
Human sacrifice is universal though senpai.
>>
Roughly bronze age by old world standards.

The Inca were kind of weird in that they had extremely good roads and no writing as such.
>>
Theres another Meso thread where you can find some interesting stuff.

They had advanced mathematics and astronomy, well designed city planning, aqueducts, underground pipelines for reservoirs, advanced logistical planning, etc.

For comparison, the way that they ran their society was extremely similar to ancient era societies in mesopotamia, i.e. legalist laws, violent religious beliefs, monumental architecture, etc.
>>
>>1608263
early city state classical greece.
>>
>>1608312
Thats just kind of a basic comparison, in reality, its extremely difficult to compare mesoamerican culture to others because of how unique it was.

They had no draft animals, and few deadly diseases as a result (many of the old worlds diseases came from pigs, cows, etc). They never really used metal in a combat or utilitarian context.
>>
>>1608312
It'd be so cool if a modern superstate emerged where there are legalist laws, strong dogma of a religion or some philosophical principle, and monumental architecture
>>
>>1608294
It's possible they may have had some kind of writing in the squares of their textiles (tocapus). The Quipu which was used as a number system to record data may have had non accounting purposes too.
>>
>>1608263
slave society maxing out natural mechanisms of how many people can be controlled to work output
>>
>>1608329
There's no evidence for rampant slavery in the Maya culture. It did occur, but not that widely. Many of their temples and structures were built by volunteers like guilds.
>>
>>1608351
L O L
>>
>>1608280
>better than arabs
>>
it was as complex as the human mind could handle, they just lacked technology that is in large part discovered due to luck like finding the exact proportions of tin and copper needed to make bronze
>>
>>1608402
So europeans good/lucky living in rich fertile lands instead of the arid/hostile african regions or the american tropics? Makes sense, thanks m8
>>
>>1608354
Prove me wrong.
>>
>>1608413
ops pic
>>
>>1608489
Those look like servants, though may be slaves. I assume you mean the dudes in the foreground. Nevertheless it's like 3 people and ops pic looks a bit inaccurate and apocalypto inspired. Looks like videogame art if anything.
>>
like neo-assyrian tier well into the 14th century
>>
There mathematics was no where near as formalized as Europe/Arabic world

they had advanced predictive and counting systems, but that is not mathematics
>>
>>1608263
Pretty decent considering the circumstances
>>
>>1608263
about the level of the ancient Sumerians.

source: an anthropologist who lived and worked in central america, at the Washington DC Folk Life Festival.
>>
Some of the Maya musical scales, time signatures, and other musical techniques/concepts were way superior to what the Europeans were doing pre-conquest
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.