[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I got questions. - Why did the Anglo Saxons convert to christianity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: as_recon_village.jpg (299KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
as_recon_village.jpg
299KB, 620x465px
I got questions.

- Why did the Anglo Saxons convert to christianity where as the continental Saxons were getting bummed by the Franks?

- Why did they sod off to modern day England in the first place?

- What made them anglo? Just like.. their new home?

- Did the continental Saxons actually do anything? More than rolling around the mud, praise their holy tree and Woden?

- How come they resisted christianity where as.. the Anglo Saxons didn't?.. Or did they?
>>
>>1605778
I'm not an expert but it might have something to do with the local britins whch were already mainly christian at the time so the saxons might have converted to keep the conquered saxons easier under control.
>>
>>1605778
Britain had a preexisting Christian population

Anglo comes from Angles, one of the peoples who migrated along with Saxons and Jutes
>>
>>1605830
Conquered britons* I meant
>>
File: anglo_feels.png (113KB, 695x820px) Image search: [Google]
anglo_feels.png
113KB, 695x820px
>>1605778
>Why did the Anglo Saxons convert to christianity where as the continental Saxons were getting bummed by the Franks?
Anglo-Saxons were the subject to peaceful Irish and Brythonic missionary work, conversion occurred gradually through peaceful means, and a little bit of Romabooism helped it along the way

>Why did they sod off to modern day England in the first place?
it was just one feature of the whole Germanic Migrations Period, and had a variety of factors, from the Huns to filling the void left by Roman collapse.

>What made them anglo? Just like.. their new home?
England was named after the Angles, another tribe very closely related to the Saxons, who migrated there. we get our language and ethnicity primarily from them.

>Did the continental Saxons actually do anything? More than rolling around the mud, praise their holy tree and Woden?
They were your average Germaic at the time,and they weren't rolling around in mud. Don't believe the meme shitposts on this site. They were gradually converting to Christianity, without any culture shock of having their traditions ripped away from them to any gross lengths. We would've likely seen a Christian folk with some good folklore by all accounts, much like modern North Germanic countries.

>How come they resisted Christianity where as.. the Anglo Saxons didn't?.. Or did they?
They didn't so much resist christianisation as did the Charlemagne use their not-fully-converted status to wage war against them under justification of spreading the faith. Charlemagne was the King of an Empire. He was no Irish Monk, he wanted power.
>>
There is very little documentary evidence of the social and political trends happening in England between 500 and 1000 AD.
>>
>>1605778
>Why did they sod off to modern England anyways
I always thought some of them were hired by Britons to fight some internal fights. Then they found out that they could easily conquer the Britons with some more people, so they got their friends to come over and rekt the place.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.