[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why were vikings such terrible fighters? Literally the only ''military

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

File: vikings-s03e01-online.jpg (547KB, 1500x836px) Image search: [Google]
vikings-s03e01-online.jpg
547KB, 1500x836px
Why were vikings such terrible fighters? Literally the only ''military feat'' is killing unarmed people.
>>
>>1602680
I think their greatest military achievement is the siege of Paris in 845.
>>
>>1602680
Simply epic
>>
>>1602680
Why would they need to be tactical or strategic warriors? They raid and farm for a living.
>>
>>1602719
Then why shill them as warriors?
>>
>>1602725
They were warriors, not soldiers.
>>
Because the Vikings came from a far off land that as perceived as alien to the Christian peoples of Europe. To them, these ragged, monstrous Warriors were nightmarish monsters who followed strange, barbaric customs and worship evil, alien gods. That's why they were so terrible and feared by these people. Especially, since they would appear from over the horizon in fast longships, would land and raid, then be gone in seconds.
>>
>>1602903
they were farmers who plundered from time to time
>>
>>1602998
I heard that the Vikings had their own martial art, but the specifics about it were lost. This means that they weren't untrained savages
>>
>>1603018
>I heard something SO THAT MEANS ITS TRUE HAHA I WIN

Even if you're retarded claim is true, they're martial art must have involved having your erect dick out and was comprised of different kinds of hip thrusts to penetrate virgin hymens in one swift movement. All these snowniggers did was kill unarmed villagers and rape women and children, and were wiped out by any half competent army, for fucks sake, they ran away from the French once. They may have been ((((((((((trained)))))))))) but they were always savages.
>>
>>1602998
>>1603018
>>1603060
Of course some were better than others, but, by definition, they are warriors not soldiers. The average dude was probably shit in real fights but could swing a sword and look scary. There were definitely good fighters, but on average they were enough to scare unarmed monks and peasants
>>
>>1603060
They sacked Paris tho
>>
File: Viking_Expansion.svg.png (346KB, 1280x838px) Image search: [Google]
Viking_Expansion.svg.png
346KB, 1280x838px
>>1602680
This didn't happen just by killing unarmed people.
>>
They had a pretty cool martial technique with their shield. Instead of blocking blows with their shield in scattered combat, they would deflect blows with their shield since it was not strapped to their arm or assisted in any way.
>>
>>1603252
rome uses up all its natural resources then goes batshit and you get this like a mediteranian 2.0 but with next tier tech & more lumber, more natural resources in general, even if you pillage and rape and lose half of it ur overall gains are still #WORTH
>>
>>1603881
good against lighter less unorganised unarmoured bands, but not phallanxs.filenotfound
>>
>>1603252
Well they were made to settle in Normandy after losing a war with French king.
>>
>>1604304
>made to settle
>>
>>1604316
They lost and a treaty was signed which made them settle into the area and in return protecting that area from other northmen.
>>
>>1603060
That's a pretty big overreaction my man.
>>
>>1604336
Except they'd been settling their decades before the treaty. All it did was legally recognize Rollo as the ruler of the duchy.
>>
>>1604402
After defeating Rollo and his army. King recognised that they are a pain in the ass and might as well just use them as guard dogs. They completely assimilated in 3 generations.
>>
>>1603252
>Scandinavians settled the place they're from

wut
>>
>>1602680
What in Odin's name did you just fucking say about me, you little Briton? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Viking academy. I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Anglo and Slav lands and I have over 300 confirmed rapes. I am trained in pillaging and I am the top axe thrower in the king’s shieldwall. You are nothing to me but just another peasant. I will murder you with savagery the likes of which has never been seen before on Midgard, mark my fucking runes. You think you can get away with saying shit like that to me over the internet? Think again, peasant. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of Huscarls across Scandinavia and your fiefs are being scouted right now so you’d better prepare for the storm, peasant. The storm that wipes out your pathetic little thing your call your kingdom. You’re fucking dead, munk-cuck. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over 700 hundred ways and that’s just with my beard. Not only am I extensively trained in facial combat, but I have access to the entire Nord armory and I will use it to it’s full extent to wipe your miserable arse off of Midgard, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you. Maybe you would have held your fucking tongue, but you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot! I will shit throwing weapons all over you and you will drown in them. You are fucking dead, kiddo. I will drink from your skull!
>>
>>1604507
Yeah boiii, kill that lil biatch! lol
>>
>>1604449
At some point they did
>>
>>1603881
Wow a technique that everyone who had a shield used how unique.
>>
What is it with all the assblasted Anglos recently? There's like a billion threads of these threads.
>>
>>1605175

Samefagging and people bumping them
>>
>>1604507
+1

A classic meme you don't see too much anymore.
>>
>>1605201
Seconded
>>
>>1602680
because Vikings aren't soldiers, they're raiders.

settlement and conquest was a secondary goal to simply raiding cities, stealing anything of value from homes/the local church, then haul it back home to sell.

against cities along the coast, they were your worst nightmare, but didn't have the professionalism or discipline of soldiers.
>>
>>1605273
No shit armed people were the worst nightmare to women and unarmed townsfolk genius. Also I like how you choose to mention cities when usually they raided monasteries with faggot hippie monks.
>>
Vikings were Pirates, it's not about fighting skills, its about surviving
>>
You ma man are spot on
>>
File: vk_map_whowerethey.jpg (125KB, 718x483px) Image search: [Google]
vk_map_whowerethey.jpg
125KB, 718x483px
>>1605294

I wasn't aware that the entirety of East Anglia was composed of Monasteries.

If the English couldn't scrounge up a single soldier to defend a full 1/3rd of their landmass then maybe the problem wasn't the Vikings.
>>
>>1605326
Well yeah britbongs during viking age were utter fucking retards there even was one year when they didn't even ATTEMPT to remove norse settlers. Vikings basically bullied mentally handicapped people.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.