[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>was wrong about pretty much everything >still worshiped

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: aristotle.jpg (27KB, 375x450px) Image search: [Google]
aristotle.jpg
27KB, 375x450px
>was wrong about pretty much everything
>still worshiped by all and thought of as a genius

???
>>
>>1602389
He taught us all about Socrates. That's his gift to the world.
>>
File: 1465175809559.gif (708KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1465175809559.gif
708KB, 320x240px
>>1602397
>>
>>1602389

>literally invented the modern method of logic
>using said invention to retroactively attempt to refute him

wew
>>
>>1602713
>I have logic but I've never read anything written by him

How can this be?
>>
>>1602790
He didn't write anything in English
>>
>>1602389 read a fucking book, troll
>>
>>1602713
>invented modern method of logic
Not quite. Hes contribution is similar to the alchemy before chemistry and physics.

Modern resemblance of formal logic is from the time periods of the scientific revolution.
>>
>>1602926
The only logic system known to the world prior the second half of the XIX century was Aristotle's.

In fact his logic is still of use to this day; yes predicate logic can be used to analyze validity of arguments but in live dialogue the rules of the syllogism and the rules to transform a statement into another are extremely useful.
>>
>>1602962
You can define syllogisms using first order logic which has been proven to lack completness in the sense that you cannot express everything in this system. That's what higher order logics are for.
>>
>>1602962
Also, many methods of inference used by mathematicians were not formally provided by aristotle.
>>
>>1603323
Noy true, syllogism can't be rendered properly in first order logic, but in predicate logic as I said before.

All men are mortals
Socrates is a man
Therefore Socrates is mortal.

If you formalize this in propositional logic it would not give any info on its validity:

p
q
therefore r

You need predicate logic for that.
>>
>>1603351
Predicate logic is just an umbrella term for logics that use predicates. First order logic uses predicates as well as any n order logic, first order logic just meas your cuantifires can only act upon variables inside predicates but not predicates themselves.

Maybe you are talking about inference rules which are perfectly applicable in first ored logic both in a semantical and syntactical way.
>>
File: 181495.jpg (30KB, 268x180px) Image search: [Google]
181495.jpg
30KB, 268x180px
>>1602389
>Father of logic
>Single most influential philosopher in the recurrence of one of the greatest revolutions in ethics in 200 years
>wrong about everything
>>
>>1602926
You are a fucking idiot
>>
>>1603475
I know inference rules (modus ponens and the like) are able to be expressed in propositional logic. But syllogistic inferences aren't. Please show me a propositional logic demonstration of a Barbara or a Celarent. You can't, you need predicate logic.

Maybe we both are using different definition. I call propositional logic to the one in which each variable represent a statement (it has to have a verb). Like p = "Socrates is a man".

I call predicate logic the one in which there are variables for both subjects and predicates. "Socrates is a man" = M (s)
>>
>>1603475
BTW I see that in my previous posts I indeed used a wrong definition ofor fist order logic, which apparently I took as synonym of propositional logic.
>>
>>1605846
For some reason, some people take it as a synonyms but in most courses I know, first order logic uses quantifirers.
>>
>>1605846
>>1605943
Also, first order logic was built upon other formal systems designed by mathematicians. Aristotle did got the ball rolling, but it is impractical to use him for formal systems.
>>
>>1602790
His methods pervaded our society and you've learned it through other means.
>>
>>1602389

The method is what's valuable. His didn't go far enough because he shared the common Greek loathing of manual labor and so never made the logical leap to empiricism, but even so his inspiration has fired countless blazes down the ages.
>>
>>1602926
Rofl, he independently invented first order logic the fact that people use different notation now doesn't mean shit.
>>
>>1603475
>cuantifires
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.