[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What were the people called that lived in the middle east before

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: 1468565845979.jpg (201KB, 780x421px) Image search: [Google]
1468565845979.jpg
201KB, 780x421px
What were the people called that lived in the middle east before the Arab Islamic conquest?

Why are these people still called Arabs today?
>>
>>1601009
They still exist, they are just culturally Arabized natives.

For example, the Palestinians are genetically closer to Cypriots than to gulf arabs.

The arabs didn't really go in for full-scale colonization (except in Egypt). They usually just kicked over the native leadership, converted the people and smeared on a new ruling class
>>
>>1601018

Did these people vary much in looks, like you would see in a southern Italian and a Dane?

Basically everyone refers to them as "Arabs" now, despite not being from the gulf.
>>
File: Fayum-portrait.jpg (238KB, 886x1139px) Image search: [Google]
Fayum-portrait.jpg
238KB, 886x1139px
>>1601035
They looked like they do now. So called "Arabs" actually have a very diverse set of phenotypes based on region. The only thing that unites them is language (which also varies a lot by region) and religion.
>>
>>1601035
I wrote a long post but 4chan dropped it

Tl;dr the Levant has been invaded countless times throughout history, and as a result the residents vary enormously in terms of looks
>>
>>1601067
>>1601082
I see, thanks for the responses guys.

It doesn't help though, when even the Syrian military calls itself the "Syrian ARAB Army"
>>
>>1601018
Egypt is Egyptian though. Arab admixture was super minor.
>>
>>1601120
They're free to identify with whatever culture they like

English people are largely still Celts, but they choose to identify as anglo-saxons
>>
>>1601161
>They're free to identify with whatever culture they like

No they aren't. It is a sin to lie anon, and we all know how they are with their religion.
>>
>>1601009
Lebanese people are Phoenician, but considered Arab

It's just like a grouping
>>
File: photo-2.jpg (50KB, 360x480px) Image search: [Google]
photo-2.jpg
50KB, 360x480px
>>1601120
Arab at this point is more of a lingual identity than a genetic one . Basically all the Non-Jewish semite groups plus many Berbers all became Arab, while in the past the would of identified as Syriac, Chaldean, Nabaetean, Sumerian, etc etc
>>
>>1601719
This guy is right.
>>
>>1601761
Is there anyone that is wrong?
>>
>>1601009
They weren't even called Arab after Islamic conquest. See Ottoman maps, Arab only refers to Bedouins.
>>
>>1601035
The same with Slavs.
>>
Most were Semites and closely related to Hebrews and Arabs.
>>
Cultural and linguistic ties
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.