[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

As a child I was absolutely floored when I found out that monarchies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

File: 1471725579182-lit.jpg (62KB, 950x534px) Image search: [Google]
1471725579182-lit.jpg
62KB, 950x534px
As a child I was absolutely floored when I found out that monarchies still exist and that there are still kings and princes in the world. But monarchies were still extremely common right up to the early 1900s, people fought against oppressive, hereditary regimes to install democracy and republicanism in their countries, veterans of these conflicts, and the nobles and royals they fought against, might have still been alive in the 70s and 80s, only ten years before I was born. Yet by this time the world had seemingly already forgotten about monarchism, it was already seen as some ancient form of government and not something that had only been (mostly) extinguished following first World War, still less than a hundred years prior.

Why do you guys think it took so little time for humanity to not only get over monarchism, but to romanticize it to the point we do today? I'm only coming up with Disney influence, which I'm pretty sure was important, but could not have acted alone to bring forth such a massive change in the way of thought, so what did it act in concert with?
>>
> Why do you guys think it took so little time for humanity to not only get over monarchism

There needs to be enough decentralization of wealth that a wider segment of society can begin demanding political status consummate with their wealth.

This is how you get the transition from monarchy to capitalism.

You can also have a revolution, which is where the country is so badly run or the common folk so oppressed that they rise up and destroy the monarchy.

This second kind very often leads to horrible totalitarian dictatorships or to failed states, because there is no stable locus for power to transition to.
>>
>>1600925
It's not that people got over monarchism; the mechanisms behind monarchism, such as feudalism, honour culture, etc, got covered up.

I mean, these systems have been the prevailing systems for majority of human civilization. Self-interest and individualistic forms of government came into power and it became a perpetual thing. Because of democracy and capitalism, leadership and politics became progressive rather than social. It's no longer about "Who gets what", but about what everyone gets. As a result, we hit a peak, and now we're going back down, because this lifestyle and form of government is unsustainable; this is what happened to Rome inevitably after it lost its monarchy, it grew out of self-interest, spreading, providing more technologies and better science, and then it became too big, and people wanted a slice of the pie; Rome dissolved into many nations, and those nations further dissolved, being replaced with dictators and kings.
>>
>>1600925
>WE SHALL HAVE NO KING
>DOWN WITH TYRANNY
>then fetishize monarchy snd aristocracy and cosplaycas them

America in a nutshell
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.